ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft Logistics

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
The NFL draft will be in Cleveland this year. The NFL always overdoes these things to the point of embarrassment. There is way too much hype/pomp, hooting, and fat guys selling beer/pizza for my taste. Regardless, it looks interestingly:
  • The Base will be the Great Lakes Science Center
  • Accompanying live music inside the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
  • Fans will be in the Football stadium, with lowered social distancing guidelines, they expect to be able to accommodate 25,000 or more people

Let's hope the weather holds.

Reactions: NedFromYork
The NFL draft will be in Cleveland this year. The NFL always overdoes these things to the point of embarrassment. There is way too much hype/pomp, hooting, and fat guys selling beer/pizza for my taste. Regardless, it looks interestingly:
  • Fans will be in the Football stadium, with lowered social distancing guidelines, they expect to be able to accommodate 25,000 or more people

No abundance of caution?

No abundance of caution?
well, there's money to be made.

Go-ahead-throw-caution-to-the-wind.jpg

OefYP5r.gif

Reactions: 81b&w
Can the NFL really get 25,000 people to sit in Cleveland Stadium in April to watch the NFL draft? Seems like they are overestimating their appeal but maybe not. Weird what some people consider fun.

It's Cleveland. What the hell else is there to do?
Best freshwater fishing on the planet! In the summer, boating is top-notch. Tribe, Cavs, Browns, R&R HoF, the emerald necklace......much nicer than any place in PA.

Best freshwater fishing on the planet! In the summer, boating is top-notch. Tribe, Cavs, Browns, R&R HoF, the emerald necklace......much nicer than any place in PA.
I kid, I kid, I kid. I don't live in PA, but I wouldn't say CLE is better than anything in PA. Nor would I saw anything in PA is better than CLE. They are both equally marginal.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark

Sucks to be grandma.

I kid, I kid, I kid. I don't live in PA, but I wouldn't say CLE is better than anything in PA. Nor would I saw anything in PA is better than CLE. They are both equally marginal.
you haven't spent time in CLE then.

I've found that reputation lags reality by about ten to 20 years. I realized this when I had friends tell me that I had to visit underground Atlanta. I went and was happy to escape with my life.

The lake gives CLE a natural resource like nothing that PA has (maybe erie). And CLE now has the second-best hospital on the planet. Well, you can argue with Newsweek on that, I guess, but everyone else has them ranked in the top five at least. Combine that with University Hospitals, Case and Cleveland State, and you've got a really awesome medical industry from student to retirement.

The only thing CLE doesn't have is no state income tax (TN, TX, FL) and not the best weather. But I like the change of seasons, if not the length of the winter.

I've found that reputation lags reality by about ten to 20 years. I realized this when I had friends tell me that I had to visit underground Atlanta. I went and was happy to escape with my life.

The lake gives CLE a natural resource like nothing that PA has (maybe erie). And CLE now has the second-best hospital on the planet. Well, you can argue with Newsweek on that, I guess, but everyone else has them ranked in the top five at least. Combine that with University Hospitals, Case and Cleveland State, and you've got a really awesome medical industry from student to retirement.

The only thing CLE doesn't have is no state income tax (TN, TX, FL) and not the best weather. But I like the change of seasons, if not the length of the winter.
I know CLE well. Sure, the lake is nice. But the place hasn't been jumping since the Flats was a popular place.

Are they going to give the top draft picks a #1 mask instead of a #1 jersey when they walk on stage?

I know CLE well. Sure, the lake is nice. But the place hasn't been jumping since the Flats was a popular place.
wrong.

did you go to Ohio city, Tremont, LIttle Italy, put-in-bay, cedar point, the CLE zoo? There are some nice places in Pitt and Philly but, IMHO, are not as nice as CLE. Nothing compares in those places like boating/fishing/entertaining that CLE brings to the table. I would yield that the restaurant/clubbing places in Philly and Pitt are superior, but not by a wide margin. Try any of Michael Simon's places. But with the array of benefits from Sandusky to Mentor, NE Ohio has really improved and is now benefitting greatly.

You had that same experience at underground Atlanta? I know what you mean. I was told the same thing years ago. There were roving groups of teens running around out of control. The employees in the shops just kept their heads down not making eye contact trying to be oblivious to it all. It's one of the few times in my life I felt physically unsafe.

Reactions: Obliviax
wrong.

did you go to Ohio city, Tremont, LIttle Italy, put-in-bay, cedar point, the CLE zoo? There are some nice places in Pitt and Philly but, IMHO, are not as nice as CLE. Nothing compares in those places like boating/fishing/entertaining that CLE brings to the table. I would yield that the restaurant/clubbing places in Philly and Pitt are superior, but not by a wide margin. Try any of Michael Simon's places. But with the array of benefits from Sandusky to Mentor, NE Ohio has really improved and is now benefitting greatly.
CLE is a fine place. Just like The Burgh, when you continually have to convince people how great it is, maybe it's time to change your mindset and just know that you have discovered the world's hidden gem, and what point does it make to tell everyone about it to make it more crowded?

CLE is a fine place. Just like The Burgh, when you continually have to convince people how great it is, maybe it's time to change your mindset and just know that you have discovered the world's hidden gem, and what point does it make to tell everyone about it to make it more crowded?
well, because people that haven't spent time here continue to denigrate it.

Fact is, it is called marketing. If you've got a great product nobody has ever heard of, the reputation persists.

Making it "more crowded" isn't a problem.

I feel the same way about the South Bronx.

By the way, when will the NFL have it's Draft there? Seems like a short commute.

You had that same experience at underground Atlanta? I know what you mean. I was told the same thing years ago. There were roving groups of teens running around out of control. The employees in the shops just kept their heads down not making eye contact trying to be oblivious to it all. It's one of the few times in my life I felt physically unsafe.
Exactly. Today, I have acquaintances who STILL think of CLE as the river fire. Fact is, the river is fine and that it feeds the lake which is one of the best fishing locations in the nation, if not the world. I'll have people visit, go to Cedar Point, Put-in-Bay and take a day charter on the lake and say "I had no idea!".

Last edited:
Reactions: Mile High Lion
well, because people that haven't spent time here continue to denigrate it.

Fact is, it is called marketing. If you've got a great product nobody has ever heard of, the reputation persists.

Making it "more crowded" isn't a problem.
Their ignorance is their loss.

NFL just released some artist mock ups of "draft week" (lets hope the weather holds). BTW, this is the kind of shit that drives me nuts about PSU and the Blue/White game. The university is making a huge mistake no making the B/W game an "event" and will pay the price...both in terms of real revenue lost but in opportunity costs. The NFL are very smart visionaries who are always working to build brand. PSU are bean counters that don't see beyond tomorrow.

ExFwZmPWEAIMyYE

ExFwZmQXAAITco3

ExFwZmOWYAEeFX2

Went to the NFL Draft once when it was in NYC. IIRC, they had the first two rounds on the same night. About 2/3 of the way through Round 1 I asked myself why anyone would do this and left.

Went to the NFL Draft once when it was in NYC. IIRC, they had the first two rounds on the same night. About 2/3 of the way through Round 1 I asked myself why anyone would do this and left.
I actually agree with you. The NFL hype machine is nauseating to me, to be honest. But just because I don't like it, doesn't mean others won't like it too. I know people that talk about (for example) a left guard from Tulsa who projects to a fifth-round pick and why the Browns are a more likely destination than the Bears.

I was listening to a sports talk show this morning, which I hardly ever do, and they made a good point about the social media anger toward sports figures. They felt that more gambling was a big part of the root cause along with the professionalization of college sports. The idea is that people lose money so it is no longer just an emotional event. And with regards to college players, with the advent of the portal and money, are no longer nice kids who share an emotional engagement to a school. Today, many are simply mercenaries. And, as such, no longer enjoy the "they are just kids" pass they got in the old days. Moving forward, people will boo them and be angry just like they are at Steeler or Eagles games.

I actually agree with you. The NFL hype machine is nauseating to me, to be honest. But just because I don't like it, doesn't mean others won't like it too. I know people that talk about (for example) a left guard from Tulsa who projects to a fifth-round pick and why the Browns are a more likely destination than the Bears.

I was listening to a sports talk show this morning, which I hardly ever do, and they made a good point about the social media anger toward sports figures. They felt that more gambling was a big part of the root cause along with the professionalization of college sports. The idea is that people lose money so it is no longer just an emotional event. And with regards to college players, with the advent of the portal and money, are no longer nice kids who share an emotional engagement to a school. Today, many are simply mercenaries. And, as such, no longer enjoy the "they are just kids" pass they got in the old days. Moving forward, people will boo them and be angry just like they are at Steeler or Eagles games.

Came to the realization that I am/was only interested in who a limited number of teams pick and where certain kids are picked. The rest, which is by far most of it, is akin to watching paint dry. Much rather flip on the TV, sit in the comfort of my home, get up to scratch my nuts or get a beer whenever I like, do something else when nothing interesting is happening, etc. Downside is that you have to listen to Kiper, McShay, and the other talking scrtota.

What if only 3000 buy tickets? I am assuming you need to rsvp or something in advance? Does or will the NFL pay people to attend? Will a beer cost $10? The whole thing is really strange.

oh man I always wanted to visit the second best hospital on the planet!

But the weather still blows....you wrote “in the summer”, so in other words, three weeks in July, boating is top notch. They do get to see all four seasons though....early winter, winter, late winter, and July.

But the weather still blows....you wrote “in the summer”, so in other words, three weeks in July, boating is top notch. They do get to see all four seasons though....early winter, winter, late winter, and July.
well, spring and fall are beautiful as well. The only really bad time is in Feb and early March, which is exactly the same as all of the NE States. I've spent a lot of time in FL and TX and their July and August equate to our Feb & March (people stay inside and enjoy the forced air system rather than go outside and get hit with bad weather).

I just learned two more $10m homes are going to be built near me so life is good. With us finally exiting the rust belt age, life is good. Hell, if the apocolypse from Global Warming hits, I may send you a few gallons of water if you are really nice to me.

well, spring and fall are beautiful as well. The only really bad time is in Feb and early March, which is exactly the same as all of the NE States. I've spent a lot of time in FL and TX and their July and August equate to our Feb & March (people stay inside and enjoy the forced air system rather than go outside and get hit with bad weather).

I just learned two more $10m homes are going to be built near me so life is good. With us finally exiting the rust belt age, life is good. Hell, if the apocolypse from Global Warming hits, I may send you a few gallons of water if you are really nice to me.
We got a butt ton of rivers where I live, so we’ll be okay for a while. Water without the lake effect snow. I grew up in Erie so I know about Lake Erie and the weather up there...no thanks. Love the area, hate the weather.

We got a butt ton of rivers where I live, so we’ll be okay for a while. Water without the lake effect snow. I grew up in Erie so I know about Lake Erie and the weather up there...no thanks. Love the area, hate the weather.
well, we do weed out the weak :p

ADVERTISEMENT