ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

Ian

Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
State College, Pa
Saw this on another site.

Some good looking teams with returning starters.

Here are the top six!

Team - Count - Top Wrestlers

North Carolina State - 10 - Hayden Hidlay, Trent Hidlay, Thomas Bullard, Tariq Wilson, Jakob Camacho, Daniel Bullard, Deonte Wilson, Jarrett Trombley, AJ Leitten, Nick Reenan

Iowa - 8 - Spencer Lee, Alex Marinelli, Anthony Cassioppi, Austin DeSanto, Max Murin, Kaleb Young, Jacob Warner, Abe Assad

Iowa State - 7 - David Carr, Ian Parker, Jarrett Degen, Gannon Gremmel, Alex Mackall, Todd Small, Marcus Coleman

Lehigh - 7 - Brandon Paetzell, Josh Humphreys, Jordan Wood, Chris Weiler, Jake Jakobsen, Jimmy Hoffman, Nick Farro

Michigan - 7 - Mason Parris, Kanen Storr, Will Lewan, Joey Silva, Jack Medley, Jelani Embree, Cole Mattin

Virginia Tech - 7 - Hunter Bolen, Mitch Moore, Joey Prata, BC LaPrade, John Borst, Bryce Andonian, Collin Gerardi

It doesn’t include incoming freshmen or red shirts.

Cornell returns many, Michigan has a few coming back and add Lewis to Va. Tech.

Any others of note?

Nebraska - 8 (counting two 2020 Redshirts) - Ridge Lovett, Alex Thomsen, Chad Red, Peyton Robb, Kevon Davenport, Mikey Labriola, Taylor Venz, Eric Schultz

Plus Oklahoma has a good base (mostly juniors), and some solid guys coming off of redshirt, but lacks overall quantity. And where's Ohio State?

Saw this on another site.

Some good looking teams with returning starters.

Here are the top six!

Team - Count - Top Wrestlers

North Carolina State - 10 - Hayden Hidlay, Trent Hidlay, Thomas Bullard, Tariq Wilson, Jakob Camacho, Daniel Bullard, Deonte Wilson, Jarrett Trombley, AJ Leitten, Nick Reenan

Iowa - 8 - Spencer Lee, Alex Marinelli, Anthony Cassioppi, Austin DeSanto, Max Murin, Kaleb Young, Jacob Warner, Abe Assad

Iowa State - 7 - David Carr, Ian Parker, Jarrett Degen, Gannon Gremmel, Alex Mackall, Todd Small, Marcus Coleman

Lehigh - 7 - Brandon Paetzell, Josh Humphreys, Jordan Wood, Chris Weiler, Jake Jakobsen, Jimmy Hoffman, Nick Farro

Michigan - 7 - Mason Parris, Kanen Storr, Will Lewan, Joey Silva, Jack Medley, Jelani Embree, Cole Mattin

Virginia Tech - 7 - Hunter Bolen, Mitch Moore, Joey Prata, BC LaPrade, John Borst, Bryce Andonian, Collin Gerardi

It doesn’t include incoming freshmen or red shirts.

Cornell returns many, Michigan has a few coming back and add Lewis to Va. Tech.

Any others of note?
Doesn't Michigan have massa returning as well

Yes. Michigan has 11 former qualifiers returning. Iowa has 10. They are top dogs in the B1G. PSU has 5.

Who are our 5, I only count 4? RBY, Nick, Verk, and Brooks. OK, Berge from 2019, assuming he is returning.

I can see Gilman coming in providing a huge boost to RBY next year. Lee made a huge jump this year, RBY is about to go from a true sophomore to junior and gets a new training partner in Gilman?

Maybe Iowa got a freebie this year. You guys avoided Tosu’s heartbreak (and a recent Iowa team’s heartbreak) of coming in second despite having a strong team. ;)

5067865.jpg

edit-

And anything does happen:

Cancelling NCAA's
Gilman to NLWC

Man I really miss wrestling.....

Last edited:
I predict 2nd next year for PSU followed by 6 in a row for the good guys
Hard to disagree what with PSU likely breaking in new guys at 125, 149, 157, 165, 174, 197, and 285. It’s great to have three studs as support but 7 potential newcomers will really test the coaching staff.

But it will be so competitive next year with Iowa, Michigan, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Cornell, Missouri all in the hunt, too.

Iowa, with maybe 4 #1’s will be the prohibitive favorite. The 133 weight will be stacked.

The 133 weight will be stacked.[/QUOTE]

As far as we know Fix will be back, but will he ORS again?

What’s NickyAbs doing???

With how stacked 33 is going to be next year. What’s everyone’s opinion on RBY going 25? He doesn’t appear to be cutting much if any for 33. That would give us a lineup like
25: RBY
33: Bartlett*/Howard
41: Lee*/Bartlett
49: Verk/Boone
57: Berge ( if healthy )/Busiello/Verk
65: JLee
74: CStar
84: Brooks
97: Beard
HWT: Kerk/Nevills

RBY potential finalist at 125 IF IF IF he can hold weight,top 3 at 133 without starving.
Bartlett or Howard low AA at best in 133 gauntlet IMO, yet i believe RH would be mid AA at 125.

Havent most natural 133’s to 125 historically failed?

Bad move IYAM

RBY potential finalist at 125 IF IF IF he can hold weight,top 3 at 133 without starving.
Bartlett or Howard low AA at best in 133 gauntlet IMO, yet i believe RH would be mid AA at 125.

Havent most natural 133’s to 125 historically failed?

Bad move IYAM
I don't think he can hold 125 no sense in making the kid hate wrestling that technique is already taken lol

I don't think he can hold 125 no sense in making the kid hate wrestling that technique is already taken lol

Just my opinion but I think he makes and maintains 25 just fine. Could he grow in the off season, of course. But judging from this year, I’m going with he’s hardly cutting, if at all. And just to clear my lingo up, dieting and cutting are completely different.

When RBY stepped on campus it could have already been decided he never wanted to make 25. But, with the last 2 years, it didn’t make sense for him to go down. If that’s not the case, now with a solid replacement in Bartlett, who I think could AA out of the gate, it could be an option. Would also give Howard a year to get healthy and see what is weight will be like. Depending on what his weight is doing, would determine the recruiting scheme for the upcoming years.

Again, just a thought of what is possible. Whoever Cael puts out there at all 10 weights I will support.

With how stacked 33 is going to be next year. What’s everyone’s opinion on RBY going 25? He doesn’t appear to be cutting much if any for 33. That would give us a lineup like
25: RBY
33: Bartlett*/Howard
41: Lee*/Bartlett
49: Verk/Boone
57: Berge ( if healthy )/Busiello/Verk
65: JLee
74: CStar
84: Brooks
97: Beard
HWT: Kerk/Nevills
I don't know anything particular about how much RBY pulls to make 133. He looks like he's naturally slender. But I saw a photo of him last year in the off-season I was amazed how thick he was. I suspect he's pulling a good bit more weight than we might think. I don't see him making 125.

I wouldn’t bet against the good guys next year. Just hope it happens.

Just my opinion but I think he makes and maintains 25 just fine. Could he grow in the off season, of course. But judging from this year, I’m going with he’s hardly cutting, if at all. And just to clear my lingo up, dieting and cutting are completely different.

When RBY stepped on campus it could have already been decided he never wanted to make 25. But, with the last 2 years, it didn’t make sense for him to go down. If that’s not the case, now with a solid replacement in Bartlett, who I think could AA out of the gate, it could be an option. Would also give Howard a year to get healthy and see what is weight will be like. Depending on what his weight is doing, would determine the recruiting scheme for the upcoming years.

Again, just a thought of what is possible. Whoever Cael puts out there at all 10 weights I will support.
How many kids shrink as they get older and are successful? RBY is great and getting better at the toughest weight in wrestling! And now he will have Howard, Bartlett, and Gilman to roll around with.

How many kids shrink as they get older and are successful? RBY is great and getting better at the toughest weight in wrestling! And now he will have Howard, Bartlett, and Gilman to roll around with.
Shrinking and not getting any bigger are two completely different things. I also never said anything about him not being great. The toughest weight class is correct though. With a weight class possibly returning Rivera, Desanto, Gomez, Fix, Phillipi ( who beat Fix ), Suriano, just to name a few.

From a team race stand point, IF he can make 25, it may make more sense with a better opportunity to score more points.

RBY is one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. He can beat any one of the previously mentioned wrestlers. But I think he generates more points at 25. Will it happen, probably not. But I like to shuffle line ups around where I see possibilities. It’s not like I suggested Lee to drop to 25.

I didn’t think everyone would take immediate offense to a hypothetical situation. I figured with the virtual ncaas which everyone seemed to love, it would be interesting to discuss.

I see RBY taking a Nick Lee-type jump this season. I have:

Howard/Meredith (but I think Howard prevails)
RBY
Bartlett
Nick Lee
Berge
Joe Lee/Manville
Starocci
Brooks
Beard
Kerk

I like PSU's chances.
Just a thought, but maybe the non winner of the competition at 165, Joe or Mason, could cut to 125 for the junglekitty. It shouldn't be too tough of a cut and just think how much of an advantage that 165 pound strength will be against those puny 125 pounders.:)

Reactions: Dogwelder
I'm all for RBY to just win at 133 and shuffle Desanto back to 8th place. That sets us up better in the team race.

Good point, this is definitely the way to go.

Kitty idea
Lee> RBY etc
ADS>> Bartlett

OR

Lee>>Howard etc
RBY> ADS

This could be a big point difference

ADVERTISEMENT