ADVERTISEMENT

Next year and beyond - upper weights

dicemen99

Nov 15, 2005
Starter: Matt McCutcheon-rsJR, Shakur Rasheed-rsSO.
I have no idea who wins this spot. Matt started out great last year, and then got injured. A real “grinder” who is good, but not great in all 3 positions and just keeps improving. Rasheed was explosive in some matches early this past year and may have the ability to be dominant. Of course, gas tank is the concern and until it has shown to be purely weight cut related I will reserve judgment. Matt has multiple wins over a national finalist last year and many more over AA's, so when hitting on all cylinders I have no doubt he is on the stand. Rasheed has the potential to be wrestling on Saturday night, but it remains to be seen if the jump will cure his woes. He also still has to add some weight (last account he is walking around at 185) so that is another question. Some guys just naturally do at this age, some guys struggle. By all account both of these guys have the burning desire to stand on the top of the podium and have completely bought into the program and that is why we will be successful here next year. Loser will head to 197 to challenge. Gun to my head, I would have to go with Cutch right now. Safer bet.

Backups: Wes Phipps-rsSr, Kellen Stout-rsFR, Devon Van Cura-rsSO, Dylan Dailey-rsJR. If there were a Nevills-type injury to McCutcheon or Rasheed, obviously the first-in-line would most likely be the other, but again we have top-25 program type guys here who are going to be on the bench and more than one. As mentioned in the middle weight post, once 165lb, now 174lb Brian Brill has talent and could certainly challenge if he puts on enough size and heads here. Phipps has been a bit derailed by injuries in his career, but is a D1 talent. I haven't seen anything of Stout in college, but if memory serves me correct in HS he was very good on the mat, but definitely needed work on his neutral offense. 197 may be a more optimal weight for him to compete as he has the frame to put on size and compete in a year or two. It might surprise some to know that Devon Van Cura had a win over Tristan Sponseller this past year, in just his 2nd year removed from HS wrestling in North Carolina. Pretty amazing what can happen in college rooms, huh. In addition, throw in the fact that he is a Shreyer student and filled in at 285 – this is a great kid to have on the team. EDIT-to include the fact that I just read from Tom's link that Van Cura was named All-Academic B1G with a 4.0 average.

2018 an beyond/Recruiting: 2018 I believe will be Nickal unless Hall takes a RS. This may leave Cutch in a lurch, again unless Hall takes a RS on top of a grey shirt. No immediate need for recruiting as there is plenty of eligibility here and below. Beard may be the next target or it could even wait until 2019.

Starter: Cutch or Anthony Cassar-rsSO.
I don't think Rasheed can jump 3 weight classes, so I will leave him out here, although it has been done before (Rodriguez this year, and I would think Rasheed is similar to Riddick who was not greatly successful doing this). This is our biggest hole next year IMO.

1) If it is Cutch, I think he will do just fine against most, but the top guys will just be too big for him. Similar to Morgan his first year (although there are many differences) I don't foresee a problem in getting to St. Louis, but I would be very hesitant to count on points because he will quickly run into guys he will have trouble dealing with. That is, unless, he is heading there right now and puts on some serious muscle. Still his upside would be limited here.

2) Cassar is another thing altogether. Great upside, great reports on him. Terrific double. However, all I have to go on him is making the Junior World Team over a very weak field. Best win there was over a couple of guys thought to have potential like Cassar and a HS kid – nobody who has done anything at an NCAA level. By all accounts, he is like minded with the team, has big goals and is a hard worker. But I can't predict an AA here unless a lot of progress has been made in folkstyle. Going off past results, Cutch would eat his lunch. But maybe he has made big strides. Plus, throw in shoulder surgery and possibly issues with him re-enrolling. I'm skeptical, but could be very wrong.

IMO right now it is looking like a big dropoff in points at this weight. But we have options and really when you look at where our competition is at this weight – tOSU, OK State, Iowa – we are in as good and maybe better position as any, with the possible exception of Weigel at OK State.

Backups: AJ Nevills-FR. “Little Snacks” will obviously redshirt this year and I would guess he is planning on competing at 197 during his college career. Not talked about too much, AJ is a CA state champ, 2x finalist (lost to Valencia at 182 as a JR), and 3 time upper weight place winner who has been nationally ranked the past two years. I like kids who start off smaller and grow into 197s and 285s. Excited to see him come on board, he just may be the surprise recruit of the class.

2018 and beyond/Recruiting: Whoever mans the spot in 2017 will be in the running to do so again in 2018, but the 2017 184lb starter will most likely be looking for a spot also; so we might see a rerun of that battle a year later. In 2018, I fully expect Cassar, Cutch, Rasheed, Stout and Nevills to all see this as their shot at the starting lineup. Battle Royale. Obviously, we have no immediate need at recruiting this weight if this turns out to be the case, although roster attrition could move up the timetable.

Starter: Nick Nevills-rsSO
. Nick has basically lost an entire year of development which is critical at this weight where you are dealing with agile 265-285lb men. During his true frosh campaign, Nick looked like a rising star, on the cusp of AA quality that early in his career. After 2 injuries and a year off the mat, he didn't. Very critical that Nick stays healthy during the entire off season, he has a lot of catching up to do. If so, I would expect him to be around where I would expect him to be in his rsFR year – able to get on the stand, but not at the very top. But the two injuries do worry me even though one was a foot and the other a pec. Guys who tend to get injured rarely stay healthy for long. Fingers crossed that they are two unrelated flukes.

Backups: None. Actually our backup situation will be much, much improved this year as long as Cassar is enrolled. With the addition of AJ, there will be a 3rd year and a 1st year 197 on the roster to serve as insurance – which is similar to the situation at most schools. Elite heavies are a rare commodity and you don't often find two of them on the same roster unless one is on the way out and the other just coming in. You go to your backup here, you are not getting points at nationals anyway – they just matter in duals.

2018 and beyond/Recruiting: Hopefully, Nick stays healthy and is the starter for the next 3 years, the 3rd of which his little brother Seth is spending as a RS at PSU. That is how you recruit at 285. If you get lucky and develop a couple of walk-ons (ala Gingrich and Ruggear) or a top 197 grows into a heavy you are in great shape, but you can't count on that to be the rule. If Nick has another injury, obviously this will change and in a hurry.

Last edited:
Seems a little pessimistic: Just assuming Nevills will get hurt again?

Foot connected to the Pectoral muscle? I think Nick will be fine, injuries happen in this sport though to anyone at anytime

Foot connected to the Pectoral muscle? I think Nick will be fine, injuries happen in this sport though to anyone at anytime

What you say is logical. I'm certainly not foolish enough to be influenced by his performance at the end of this year. Competing a few weeks removed from missing the better part of the year dealing with two injuries is certainly not a situation where I think we are seeing what Nick Nevills is all about. And, of course, in this sport everyone is dealing with injuries all the time, but in this situation we are dealing with two significant injuries that caused lengthy absences from competing back-to-back.

But, at best, we are dealing with Nick next year as a rsSO being almost a full year behind where I expected him to be at that point given his first few months in the PSU singlet. And I'm mindful that recovery from serious injuries to 100% can take longer than what is needed to merely compete and can leave a body vulnerable to other injuries. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Nick gets through the next year without any other issues that could further hinder his development. It certainly is a possible, and likely probable outcome given the unrelated nature of his injuries. But until it happens, I'll be holding my breath.

What you say is logical. I'm certainly not foolish enough to be influenced by his performance at the end of this year. Competing a few weeks removed from missing the better part of the year dealing with two injuries is certainly not a situation where I think we are seeing what Nick Nevills is all about. And, of course, in this sport everyone is dealing with injuries all the time, but in this situation we are dealing with two significant injuries that caused lengthy absences from competing back-to-back.

But, at best, we are dealing with Nick next year as a rsSO being almost a full year behind where I expected him to be at that point given his first few months in the PSU singlet. And I'm mindful that recovery from serious injuries to 100% can take longer than what is needed to merely compete and can leave a body vulnerable to other injuries. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Nick gets through the next year without any other issues that could further hinder his development. It certainly is a possible, and likely probable outcome given the unrelated nature of his injuries. But until it happens, I'll be holding my breath.

Me too Dice, I also love your write ups and am very thankful for the work put worth and the knowledge and perspective I gain through reading. Sorry, I couldn't just click LIKE as these summaries and analysis are great. Thank you

Reactions: garw and Ja1339

Or, he can get in the weight room, work harder, and compete for a full year.

Like he did in California for four years.

dicemen99, Beard is trying to get to 220lbs next season; however, I think he'll be at 195lbs next season, especially for post season. He will be a 197lber in college. I don't see him at 184lbs. Janney will be HWT next year around 240lbs and will go HWT in college.

dicemen99, Beard is trying to get to 220lbs next season; however, I think he'll be at 195lbs next season, especially for post season. He will be a 197lber in college. I don't see him at 184lbs. Janney will be HWT next year around 240lbs and will go HWT in college.
Good stuff. Beard is a growing boy. I know he's on the younger side of his grade, so that makes a lot of sense. Probably just turned 16. Janney is going to be great next year at HWT. Was really, really impressed with him this past year and he is going to make some college very happy at 285.

I have no idea who wins this spot. Matt started out great last year, and then got injured. A real “grinder” who is good, but not great in all 3 positions and just keeps improving. Rasheed was explosive in some matches early this past year and may have the ability to be dominant. Of course, gas tank is the concern and until it has shown to be purely weight cut related I will reserve judgment. Matt has multiple wins over a national finalist last year and many more over AA's, so when hitting on all cylinders I have no doubt he is on the stand. Rasheed has the potential to be wrestling on Saturday night, but it remains to be seen if the jump will cure his woes. He also still has to add some weight (last account he is walking around at 185) so that is another question. Some guys just naturally do at this age, some guys struggle. By all account both of these guys have the burning desire to stand on the top of the podium and have completely bought into the program and that is why we will be successful here next year. Loser will head to 197 to challenge. Gun to my head, I would have to go with Cutch right now. Safer bet.

There has been a lot of speculation on what Rasheed would be doing, weight wise, for next season. I haven't commented on that speculation, in part because I know that these things don't always go according to plan, and in part because I didn't have any concrete info.

On Sunday afternoon, I was walking down College Ave, and I looked up and Shakur was walking past me. We ended up having a nice conversation (informative but brief, as I was with other people). I did ask him about his weight plans, and he informed me that the staff and he are on board with him being at 184 next season. He told me his current walking around weight, and 184 seems like the correct weight for him.

Just so folks don't read too much into what I've written above -- it was not presented to me that the staff wants him to the be the 184 starter, or what the plans are at that weight. Just that the staff and he both felt that was the correct weight for him.

There has been a lot of speculation on what Rasheed would be doing, weight wise, for next season. I haven't commented on that speculation, in part because I know that these things don't always go according to plan, and in part because I didn't have any concrete info.

On Sunday afternoon, I was walking down College Ave, and I looked up and Shakur was walking past me. We ended up having a nice conversation (informative but brief, as I was with other people). I did ask him about his weight plans, and he informed me that the staff and he are on board with him being at 184 next season. He told me his current walking around weight, and 184 seems like the correct weight for him.

Just so folks don't read too much into what I've written above -- it was not presented to me that the staff wants him to the be the 184 starter, or what the plans are at that weight. Just that the staff and he both felt that was the correct weight for him.
So was spyker on his right and guns on his left, or the other way around?

Suprised you saw him in State College. That would lead one to believe that creedo had ....dare I say....bad information. That my friends makes me want to poop out a cruise liner.

Yeah, Tom, but for all we know you're a Rutgers spy feeding us misinformation and disinformation to lull us into a false sense of security while the Scarlet Knights take all our wrestlers, leaving us only alien dopplegangers. At least that's what I heard is happening. ;)

Yeah, Tom, but for all we know you're a Rutgers spy feeding us misinformation and disinformation to lull us into a false sense of security while the Scarlet Knights take all our wrestlers, leaving us only alien dopplegangers. At least that's what I heard is happening. ;)
What you say, psuflyguy, is not just Ludicrous. It's Megaludicrous. I like it!

Reactions: ev_flores0331

Thanks Tom. Saw him as well, and talked a couple days earlier than you. The only thing I'll share is that he prefers to be called "Shak", not Corey, or even Shakur. Pretty cool young man, btw.

Can't be a Rutgers spy, he used to and too in the correct context.;)

Reactions: LHavenlion
Suprised you saw him in State College. That would lead one to believe that creedo had ....dare I say....bad information. That my friends makes me want to poop out a cruise liner.

I seem to have become rather fond of rec'ing cruise liner poop references. Might say I've become quite....regular with it all.

Nice writeup, Diceman! FWIW, I remember Cael mentioning how Rasheed could wrestle hard for long stretches in practice when he wasn't suffering through the final cut. I think he spoke to this on one of his weekly radio shows with Ironhead. I'm very optimistic he'll have the endurance at 84 but I guess we'll see. Regardless, Cutch isn't going to make it easy for him.

Reactions: hlstone

Backups: Wes Phipps-rsSr, Kellen Stout-rsFR, Devon Van Cura-rsSO, Dylan Dailey-rsJR. If there were a Nevills-type injury to McCutcheon or Rasheed, obviously the first-in-line would most likely be the other, but again we have top-25 program type guys here who are going to be on the bench and more than one. As mentioned in the middle weight post, once 165lb, now 174lb Brian Brill has talent and could certainly challenge if he puts on enough size and heads here. Phipps has been a bit derailed by injuries in his career, but is a D1 talent. I haven't seen anything of Stout in college, but if memory serves me correct in HS he was very good on the mat, but definitely needed work on his neutral offense. 197 may be a more optimal weight for him to compete as he has the frame to put on size and compete in a year or two. It might surprise some to know that Devon Van Cura had a win over Tristan Sponseller this past year, in just his 2nd year removed from HS wrestling in North Carolina. Pretty amazing what can happen in college rooms, huh. In addition, throw in the fact that he is a Shreyer student and filled in at 285 – this is a great kid to have on the team. EDIT-to include the fact that I just read from Tom's link that Van Cura was named All-Academic B1G with a 4.0 average.

2018 an beyond/Recruiting: 2018 I believe will be Nickal unless Hall takes a RS. This may leave Cutch in a lurch, again unless Hall takes a RS on top of a grey shirt. No immediate need for recruiting as there is plenty of eligibility here and below. Beard may be the next target or it could even wait until 2019.

Starter: Cutch or Anthony Cassar-rsSO.
I don't think Rasheed can jump 3 weight classes, so I will leave him out here, although it has been done before (Rodriguez this year, and I would think Rasheed is similar to Riddick who was not greatly successful doing this). This is our biggest hole next year IMO.

1) If it is Cutch, I think he will do just fine against most, but the top guys will just be too big for him. Similar to Morgan his first year (although there are many differences) I don't foresee a problem in getting to St. Louis, but I would be very hesitant to count on points because he will quickly run into guys he will have trouble dealing with. That is, unless, he is heading there right now and puts on some serious muscle. Still his upside would be limited here.

2) Cassar is another thing altogether. Great upside, great reports on him. Terrific double. However, all I have to go on him is making the Junior World Team over a very weak field. Best win there was over a couple of guys thought to have potential like Cassar and a HS kid – nobody who has done anything at an NCAA level. By all accounts, he is like minded with the team, has big goals and is a hard worker. But I can't predict an AA here unless a lot of progress has been made in folkstyle. Going off past results, Cutch would eat his lunch. But maybe he has made big strides. Plus, throw in shoulder surgery and possibly issues with him re-enrolling. I'm skeptical, but could be very wrong.

IMO right now it is looking like a big dropoff in points at this weight. But we have options and really when you look at where our competition is at this weight – tOSU, OK State, Iowa – we are in as good and maybe better position as any, with the possible exception of Weigel at OK State.

Backups: AJ Nevills-FR. “Little Snacks” will obviously redshirt this year and I would guess he is planning on competing at 197 during his college career. Not talked about too much, AJ is a CA state champ, 2x finalist (lost to Valencia at 182 as a JR), and 3 time upper weight place winner who has been nationally ranked the past two years. I like kids who start off smaller and grow into 197s and 285s. Excited to see him come on board, he just may be the surprise recruit of the class.

2018 and beyond/Recruiting: Whoever mans the spot in 2017 will be in the running to do so again in 2018, but the 2017 184lb starter will most likely be looking for a spot also; so we might see a rerun of that battle a year later. In 2018, I fully expect Cassar, Cutch, Rasheed, Stout and Nevills to all see this as their shot at the starting lineup. Battle Royale. Obviously, we have no immediate need at recruiting this weight if this turns out to be the case, although roster attrition could move up the timetable.

Starter: Nick Nevills-rsSO
. Nick has basically lost an entire year of development which is critical at this weight where you are dealing with agile 265-285lb men. During his true frosh campaign, Nick looked like a rising star, on the cusp of AA quality that early in his career. After 2 injuries and a year off the mat, he didn't. Very critical that Nick stays healthy during the entire off season, he has a lot of catching up to do. If so, I would expect him to be around where I would expect him to be in his rsFR year – able to get on the stand, but not at the very top. But the two injuries do worry me even though one was a foot and the other a pec. Guys who tend to get injured rarely stay healthy for long. Fingers crossed that they are two unrelated flukes.

Backups: None. Actually our backup situation will be much, much improved this year as long as Cassar is enrolled. With the addition of AJ, there will be a 3rd year and a 1st year 197 on the roster to serve as insurance – which is similar to the situation at most schools. Elite heavies are a rare commodity and you don't often find two of them on the same roster unless one is on the way out and the other just coming in. You go to your backup here, you are not getting points at nationals anyway – they just matter in duals.

2018 and beyond/Recruiting: Hopefully, Nick stays healthy and is the starter for the next 3 years, the 3rd of which his little brother Seth is spending as a RS at PSU. That is how you recruit at 285. If you get lucky and develop a couple of walk-ons (ala Gingrich and Ruggear) or a top 197 grows into a heavy you are in great shape, but you can't count on that to be the rule. If Nick has another injury, obviously this will change and in a hurry.
Nick needs to POUND the weights really hard !!!! Cassar will be at 197...Clutch is too small and can't beat Cassar anyway !!!!

Last edited:
Rasheed in my opinion has the frame to give 197 a shot after next season. He may have to if Bo moves up to 184. Cassar and a filled out Rasheed would be one heck of a wrestle off. Cutch would be a very small 197. There are going to be wars in the room and unfortunately a very talented wrestler (2 when Bo moves up to make room for Hall) are going to watch from the sidelines. I expect Steel to sharpen Steel here and whoever reaches the top will be very formidable and score at nationals.

Nice writeup, Diceman! FWIW, I remember Cael mentioning how Rasheed could wrestle hard for long stretches in practice when he wasn't suffering through the final cut. I think he spoke to this on one of his weekly radio shows with Ironhead. I'm very optimistic he'll have the endurance at 84 but I guess we'll see. Regardless, Cutch isn't going to make it easy for him.

Yeah, I expect a battle between Cutch and Shak at 184. Whoever wins the spot will be better because of the battle.

Bump.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT