ADVERTISEMENT

Next up, Rutgers! And a thought or two!

Devil’s advocate . . .

- No RBY and no Lee could be 12 for Rutger.
- Poking fun at Elite Van Brill aside, we know Bartlett matches tend to be close affairs, so no guarantee the 1-score margin of victory will be on his side. That could put Rutger at 15.
- No guarantees at 157, the way it has gone so far this year. Possible Rutger gets 3 more here and is up to 18.

Are we biting nails yet when 165 is up? Because if Rutger takes the above 4 matches in that fashion, and PSU doesn’t score bonus at 125, 184, or 197, then 165 pretty much becomes a must win.

Not probable, but there is a path for some discomfort come 165.
Has the vaunted #4 ranked Olivieri been bitten by one of Dogwelders radioactive spiders in your scenario?

Has the vaunted #4 ranked Olivieri been bitten by one of Dogwelders radioactive spiders in your scenario?
🤷‍♂️ Don’t take it too seriously. Just laying out a simplistic bad-news scenario.
(We did give up a TF on Sunday, though.)

Alvarez has been pinned twice by good, but not great, wrestlers this season. I had almost said something about it but decided not to. I have to wonder if the change at 133 wasn't result of a wrestleoff and performance.
Sounds like the cut to 133 is too much for Alvarez. Unfortunately for him, there's no room at the inn at 141.

s-l400.jpg

Reactions: diggerpup
Match notes. No Berge listed (not that it means much). Still not certified though which does

Maybe the lack of certification means 157 is at least being considered. Not that that is my deepest wish—I’d prefer Brady go where he is healthiest.

I am/was looking forward to seeing how Creighton would do in the postseason though. Also Tony, but I think he needs more time to develop.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Maybe the lack of certification means 157 is at least being considered. Not that that is my deepest wish—I’d prefer Brady go where he is healthiest.

I am/was looking forward to seeing how Creighton would do in the postseason though. Also Tony, but I think he needs more time to develop.
Agreed. Hope that’s the case as well. 157 is the need and the best weight for Brady to reach his dream. I like Edsell at 165. Not that I think he’ll make podium this year but the kid scraps every match and is fundamentally sound unlike all our options at 157 (besides Berge)

Reactions: Jayhouse
The fact he is waiting to certify probably means 57 is the goal. You want to be close before certification so the wait to wrestle the class isn't so long. He could also weigh high enough that even 165 is forcing the wait. We probably won't know until minnow tells us;)

Reactions: nitlion6
It would not surprise me in the least if we do not see Berge in a dual until February.

It would surprise me. If he’s gonna be the guy whatever weight he goes he needs matches
If he's going down to 157, what is the purpose of undersized matches at 165? (Other than possibly delaying his 157 debut if he weighs in over the trajectory in any given match.)

He can get quality 7 min matches in the room, then cross the curtain and wrestle Jason and Zain and Gomez, among others.

If he's going down to 157, what is the purpose of undersized matches at 165? (Other than possibly delaying his 157 debut if he weighs in over the trajectory in any given match.)

He can get quality 7 min matches in the room, then cross the curtain and wrestle Jason and Zain and Gomez, among others.
My belief (not based on any real info) is that the plan is 157. So I’m thinking he was real close to where you may see him Sunday or next week against Michigan at 157. If he’s going 165 then he’s already certed there and will wrestle immediately assuming he beat Edsell in a wrestle off.
Hildenbrandt certed at 133 and wrestled 125 that same week if not the week after.

my point was..slush said he wouldn’t be surprised to not see him till Feb. I believe we have 4 matches before then and I’d be shocked if we don’t see him in any of them

Last edited:
Damn, that sucks! Covid or knee related, I wonder?
Maybe its neither. People can be sick and not have Covid. My wife was run down for two weeks, nothing serious, but would be enough to keep you off the mat. Tested negative multiple times for Covid.

Maybe its neither. People can be sick and not have Covid. My wife was run down for two weeks, nothing serious, but would be enough to keep you off the mat. Tested negative multiple times for Covid.
Perhaps, though Nick Lee doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who’d miss a match like this if he was just feeling run down.

Perhaps, though Nick Lee doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who’d miss a match like this if he was just feeling run down.
We all saw what NL looked like last time he wrestled shortly after illness. It would be a huge mistake to wrestle Rivera in that condition. The coaches know that better than anyone.

We all saw what NL looked like last time he wrestled shortly after illness. It would be a huge mistake to wrestle Rivera in that condition. The coaches know that better than anyone.
Respectfully disagree here. If he just had a little flu or something last week, I think he’d be eager to get on the mat by this week. The guy is a warrior. Think of Zain gutting out a win over Sorenson when he was ill. I just hope it’s not something more. All pure speculation, of course.

Reactions: mhs103
Respectfully disagree here. If he just had a little flu or something last week, I think he’d be eager to get on the mat by this week. The guy is a warrior. Think of Zain gutting out a win over Sorenson when he was ill. I just hope it’s not something more. All pure speculation, of course.
Agree. Also, if the roles were reversed, and Rivera didn't wrestle there would be a lot of people on this board accusing him of ducking.

The coaches will do what's right. The Berge situation is particularly interesting as we watch it play out. Kid wants one last shot, but with his history, every step has to be well thought out.
Whether he should or should not go is not the question at all. I am fully confident in our coaches doing the right thing.

The question is what is the underlying cause of this expected absence? Since the general public may never know the reason, all we can do is speculate. That’s all, not a big deal.

Reactions: mhs103
My MBG prediction: Coaches’ decision will not question whether Nick is a warrior and eager to go.

My MBG prediction: Coaches’ decision will not question whether Nick is a warrior and eager to go.
Again, missing the point entirely. Your condescension is showing a bit. Might want to watch that. It’s really not an attractive quality.

Back to the REAL issue at hand. What’s your best guess as to the expected absence? Nursing some injury?

Agree. Also, if the roles were reversed, and Rivera didn't wrestle there would be a lot of people on this board accusing him of ducking.
Every fanbase accuses every other team of ducking when a guy misses a big match for anything other than a blatantly obvious reason.

And every fanbase excuses when their own guy does the same thing.

This is just part of being a college wrestling fan at this point.

Every fanbase accuses every other team of ducking when a guy misses a big match for anything other than a blatantly obvious reason.

However, and maybe this is just me being a Penn State homer, but Cael seems to always seek out challenges for his guys to help them learn and improve. There has been no evidence of ducking for PSU. That’s not the case here at all. It is fair to note that other coaches, have shown some ducking tendencies on occasion, though I think it’s far less frequent than is alleged.

The whole point of my comment was to express some concern for Nick and hope it’s nothing serious. That’s all. Others have conflated this, unfortunately.

Again, missing the point entirely. Your condescension is showing a bit. Might want to watch that. It’s really not an attractive quality.

Back to the REAL issue at hand. What’s your best guess as to the expected absence? Nursing some injury?
Thank you for defining what the real issue is — I thought someone had stated a disagreement based on Lee’s eagerness and warrior qualities. My bad. Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish the real points from all the unreal ones.

So, just to be clear — the real issue we are supposed to address is to speculate why Nick Lee might not wrestle Sunday? Do I have that right?

Where do my attractive qualities rank on the realness meter? It seemed like you wanted to make a point about them, but maybe I’m missing that point entirely, too. Please advise.

I agree with you. One stipulation for getting upset as a college wrestling fan, is that there arent that many matches to begin with and in some circumstances it is oddly suspicious if a wrestler doesnt go out for a match on a Friday but then wrestles a match on a Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT