ADVERTISEMENT

Next up, Rutgers! And a thought or two!

Just another PSU Fan

Jan 25, 2013
WOW! Dual meet season is here and in full swing! BOOM! Let's start with the raging mess between my ears!

Iowa pulled Ayala's redshirt, he goes 1-1 in his 2 matches with another loss to McKee, but dominates Schroder? I certainly didn't see that coming! Intermat has a good free write-up of Ayala's season ahead, really fits for Hildebrandt as well!!

Nicky pushups makes his debut for Michigan! This isn't the top raging mess in my head since it's been talked about for months ... I'm over it, he's really good and will place really high at NCAAs - 'nuf said! The real news out of Michigan is the curb stomping by Cole Matthews of Pitt over Micic! Anyone see that coming?

Grandpa Kem strolled into Carver Hawkeye with an attitude of F YOU Mineo, I'm here and ready now ... can't wait to see Kem v Starocci!

Onto to Rutgers! Another shirt pulled yesterday --- Olivieri is now the 133lb'r, I have no idea what happened to Alvarez? Is it a weight problem? Or is Olivieri just whooping ass in the room? RBY will welcome Mr Olivieri to BIG 10 wrestling!

Hurry up Sunday ... who else is pumped up for Nick Lee v SeaBass!

giphy.gif

WOW! Dual meet season is here and in full swing! BOOM! Let's start with the raging mess between my ears!

Iowa pulled Ayala's redshirt, he goes 1-1 in his 2 matches with another loss to McKee, but dominates Schroder? I certainly didn't see that coming! Intermat has a good free write-up of Ayala's season ahead, really fits for Hildebrandt as well!!

Nicky pushups makes his debut for Michigan! This isn't the top raging mess in my head since it's been talked about for months ... I'm over it, he's really good and will place really high at NCAAs - 'nuf said! The real news out of Michigan is the curb stomping by Cole Matthews of Pitt over Micic! Anyone see that coming?

Grandpa Kem strolled into Carver Hawkeye with an attitude of F YOU Mineo, I'm here and ready now ... can't wait to see Kem v Starocci!

Onto to Rutgers! Another shirt pulled yesterday --- Olivieri is now the 133lb'r, I have no idea what happened to Alvarez? Is it a weight problem? Or is Olivieri just whooping ass in the room? RBY will welcome Mr Olivieri to BIG 10 wrestling!

If Lee is ill again (as mentioned in a thread yesterday), I am not getting my hopes up for seeing him in action on Sunday.

Reactions: dunkej01
If Lee is ill again (as mentioned in a thread yesterday), I am not getting my hopes up for seeing him in action on Sunday.
JB mentioned a bit under the weather, a post somewhere said contact traced. If so he would be ok for Sunday, right? Not sure about athlete timing, CDC is down to 5 days now for general public, right?

I am hopeful he is ok by Sunday.

JB mentioned a bit under the weather, a post somewhere said contact traced. If so he would be ok for Sunday, right? Not sure about athlete timing, CDC is down to 5 days now for general public, right?

I am hopeful he is ok by Sunday.
I have no idea whether he is actually ill or it is just a covid protocol thing (“A bit under the weather” could be coachspeak for anything).

If he is not actually ill (or injured), then I would expect to see him go. But putting him on the mat while still recovering from something is not what I would expect.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
I know this will be unpopular on here, but I got a feeling SeaBass gets the W over Nick this weekend. He had 2 tough battles with Nick last year. Nick might have been ill recently. I think Nick will beat him if he sees him at Bigs or Nationals, so I think it’s kind of unlikely he ends up 5-0 vs SeaBass. I’ll say he loses this weekend and then gets vengeance later on and finishes 4-1 career vs Mr. New Jersey.

The aim is March. I am sure the coaches will do everything that is necessary with that as the ultimate goal and not worry about some meaningless mid-January dual against Rutgers.

The aim is March. I am sure the coaches will do everything that is necessary with that as the ultimate goal and not worry about some meaningless mid-January dual against Rutgers.
I get what you are saying, but it's hardly meaningless. Those matches will determine the seed, and that could be everything.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I know this will be unpopular on here, but I got a feeling SeaBass gets the W over Nick this weekend. He had 2 tough battles with Nick last year. Nick might have been ill recently. I think Nick will beat him if he sees him at Bigs or Nationals, so I think it’s kind of unlikely he ends up 5-0 vs SeaBass. I’ll say he loses this weekend and then gets vengeance later on and finishes 4-1 career vs Mr. New Jersey.
Possibly, but Nick seemed to hit another level at NCAAs and the freestyle season. I think he can outpace SeaBass again.

The Poznanski kid is getting a lot of hype. Looking forward to seeing AB derail that hype train with a dominant win.
Brooks is at another level, but I like watching the Poznanski kid wrestle. As a freshman, he only lost to T. Hidlay (TB-1) and Keckeisen (5-4) at last year's NCAA Championships, finishing 4th. He deserves the hype. So does Aaron.

"VanBrill suffers first loss. The two-time national qualifier went for broke in the third period in a rally attempt and got caught for a big move by No. 11 Austin Gomez in an 11-1 loss, VanBrill’s first of the season. It was the first time VanBrill has yielded bonus points in a dual meet since he lost to Northwestern All-American Ryan Deakin in February 2020."

From nj.com writeup. Apparently Mr. Rutgers wrestling has a high threshold for greatness. He hasn't been ragdolled since last season.

"VanBrill suffers first loss. The two-time national qualifier went for broke in the third period in a rally attempt and got caught for a big move by No. 11 Austin Gomez in an 11-1 loss, VanBrill’s first of the season. It was the first time VanBrill has yielded bonus points in a dual meet since he lost to Northwestern All-American Ryan Deakin in February 2020."

From nj.com writeup. Apparently Mr. Rutgers wrestling has a high threshold for greatness. He hasn't been ragdolled since last season.
Well, he is triple elite after all ...

Reactions: danoftw
The Poznanski kid is getting a lot of hype. Looking forward to seeing AB derail that hype train with a dominant win.

Brooks beat the tar out of him with a 10-2 MD last year.

Poz is a great wrestler, and has a great story, but he beat DJ Washington 4-2 this weekend. With zero (0) takedowns. Escape, stalling, escape, RT.

Reactions: ccdiver

Alvarez has been pinned twice by good, but not great, wrestlers this season. I had almost said something about it but decided not to. I have to wonder if the change at 133 wasn't result of a wrestleoff and performance.

Reactions: ccdiver
Well, he is triple elite after all ...
In addition, I think I remember Gomez beating RBY with a big move at the Keystone tourney years ago. I that’s true, meaning it was Gomez, then that indeed puts VanBrill in very good company.

In addition, I think I remember Gomez beating RBY with a big move at the Keystone tourney years ago. I that’s true, meaning it was Gomez, then that indeed puts VanBrill in very good company.
It was the scuffle, but otherwise, your memory is good.

It was. Gomez pinned RBY with a double arm headlock in a match RBY was well ahead in at the Scuffle.

But Gomez is not elite because he has yet to qualify for a B10 tournament.

It was. Gomez pinned RBY with a double arm headlock in a match RBY was well ahead in at the Scuffle.

But Gomez is not elite because he has yet to qualify for a B10 tournament.
Gomez was also up 5-1 on Mike Van Elite late in the 3rd when he tossed him.

So, we have:
RBY = Elite >>> Gomez >>>>>>>>>> Van Elite

Reactions: danoftw
Gomez was also up 5-1 on Mike Van Elite late in the 3rd when he tossed him.

So, we have:
RBY = Elite >>> Gomez >>>>>>>>>> Van Elite
Hahahahha. This is great. I need to go back to logic class.

And without even qualifying for even one Big 10 Tournament, that means Gomez straight up sucks no matter how fun he is to watch.
Poor guy. Gomez couldn’t even see this honest assessment coming. BB is in a no win situation now, headlights in the tunnel. He’s gotta blast his way out of this mess.

Brooks is at another level, but I like watching the Poznanski kid wrestle. As a freshman, he only lost to T. Hidlay (TB-1) and Keckeisen (5-4) at last year's NCAA Championships, finishing 4th. He deserves the hype. So does Aaron.
This will be a test but I feel Aaron has stepped it up a level this season. His pressure and versatility is incredible. We all know what DJ Washington is capable of yet Aaron gassed him into the oblivion…..in the 2nd period!

If we at full strength I see a shutout. Our weaker weights (157/165) match up with weak weights for them. And their studs have to match up with ours.

match I’m most interested is Dean/Bulsak. Been impressed with both this year. Also interested in Bartlett/Van Brill.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccdiver and mcpat
If RBY and Nick can't go again Sunday this one could get uncomfortably close.
Go drink your half empty lager!

125: no way Drew loses
133: no RBY… yeah we lose here
141: no Nick Lee… prob lose here too
149: Beau wins
157: close with Negron / Berge wins
165: win regardless of whether it’s Edsell or Berge
174: CStar wins
184: AB wins
197: Dean wins
Hwt: Kerk wins

It’s not close. No way. We win at least 7 matches. Could win 9-10.

Go drink your half empty lager!

125: no way Drew loses
133: no RBY… yeah we lose here
141: no Nick Lee… prob lose here too
149: Beau wins
157: close with Negron / Berge wins
165: win regardless of whether it’s Edsell or Berge
174: CStar wins
184: AB wins
197: Dean wins
Hwt: Kerk wins

It’s not close. No way. We win at least 7 matches. Could win 9-10.
Devil’s advocate . . .

- No RBY and no Lee could be 12 for Rutger.
- Poking fun at Elite Van Brill aside, we know Bartlett matches tend to be close affairs, so no guarantee the 1-score margin of victory will be on his side. That could put Rutger at 15.
- No guarantees at 157, the way it has gone so far this year. Possible Rutger gets 3 more here and is up to 18.

Are we biting nails yet when 165 is up? Because if Rutger takes the above 4 matches in that fashion, and PSU doesn’t score bonus at 125, 184, or 197, then 165 pretty much becomes a must win.

Not probable, but there is a path for some discomfort come 165.

Please dont ever do that “Boom”
Crap again. This ain’t Rutgers and we don’t need anymore Booms here.

Devil’s advocate . . .

- No RBY and no Lee could be 12 for Rutger.
- Poking fun at Elite Van Brill aside, we know Bartlett matches tend to be close affairs, so no guarantee the 1-score margin of victory will be on his side. That could put Rutger at 15.
- No guarantees at 157, the way it has gone so far this year. Possible Rutger gets 3 more here and is up to 18.

Are we biting nails yet when 165 is up? Because if Rutger takes the above 4 matches in that fashion, and PSU doesn’t score bonus at 125, 184, or 197, then 165 pretty much becomes a must win.

Not probable, but there is a path for some discomfort come 165.
I reiterate… this forum is missing a dislike button.

edit: :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT