ADVERTISEMENT

Next man up.

PD4thespawn

Dec 27, 2016
I expect a lot of ducks per cmt this year and got to thinking about depth. Who would be next man up at each weight for both the good and the bad. Broken hips happen.

Reactions: JimNazium
Well, if the cruiseliner is indeed coming to dock, the good guys would be in good shape with Steen at 125, we gotta feel ok about 141-165 with the young talent, the Legend, and the Anvil in there. We have an AA at backup at 197 and if Franklin lets him, Seth at 285. 133, 174, and 184 may be the biggest liabilities.

If we lose one of our returning NCs it may be hard to catch a healthy Iowa, but we have fairly surprising depth this year really.

Last edited:
Because cutting 13 pounds mid-season is easy?
Of course not, but it's a weight he made his whole college career and PSU's shot at a team title is on the line. He's been making 189 consistently the last couple years so he won't be huge for 197.

It wouldn't be fun but teamwise (and individually if he doesn't happen to have secured the job over Beard) it's the most logical approach to stay competitive. I would wager he'd give it a go, could be wrong...

Of course not, but it's a weight he made his whole college career and PSU's shot at a team title is on the line. He's been making 189 consistently the last couple years so he won't be huge for 197.

It wouldn't be fun but teamwise (and individually if he doesn't happen to have secured the job over Beard) it's the most logical approach to stay competitive. I would wager he'd give it a go, could be wrong...
Shak woulda done it, prolly DID.

If Dean is serious about starting at 197, is he going to be "barely" 197? Like not having to cut much of anything? Won't that diminish his chances of success at 197? I'd have thought he'd be putting on bulk since leaving Spartan/Cornell.

His making 86kg just means that he was still a 184 guy for folkstyle.

I’m not superstitious, but this thread is starting to wig me out.
Unfortunately I think it's legit discussion because as we've all seen we've been bitten in the ass by the injury bug too often in the past few years. And watching us forfeit really sucks.

Don't forget about descent rules. IDK the math but wouldn't take about 2 months to get down?
Plus these guys are mostly really lean/fit with todays science.
Not like old days when you throw on the rubber suit and take the mat on Tuesday.

If Dean is serious about starting at 197, is he going to be "barely" 197? Like not having to cut much of anything? Won't that diminish his chances of success at 197? I'd have thought he'd be putting on bulk since leaving Spartan/Cornell.

His making 86kg just means that he was still a 184 guy for folkstyle.
Did Bo Nickal ever approach 197 lb?

Didn't Myles Amine wrestle 197 this year and 86 kg at the Olympics?

Don't forget about descent rules. IDK the math but wouldn't take about 2 months to get down?
Plus these guys are mostly really lean/fit with todays science.
Not like old days when you throw on the rubber suit and take the mat on Tuesday.
Five weeks if he weighed in at a full 197. Four if he started at 195.2.

Five weeks if he weighed in at a full 197. Four if he started at 195.2.
College descent plans are different than NHSCA?
In hs your descent plan was based on your body fat percentage,therefore every kids plan was different.Ive been out of HS loop for a few years but I know they used too…

College descent plans are different than NHSCA?
In hs your descent plan was based on your body fat percentage,therefore every kids plan was different.Ive been out of HS loop for a few years but I know they used too…
Certs have body fat figured in. I thought descent rule was 1.5% of body weight per week.

From the looks of it, Jake Campbell is taking a shot at 125. 5th year SR at 125 - he might be the surprise starter some insiders have mentioned.

Opening dual lineup could look like this:

125 - Campbell
133 - RBY
141 - Nick Lee
149 - Bearclaw
157 - Joe Lee
165 - Matt Lee
174 - Carter Starocci
184 - Aaron Brooks
197 - Dean/Beard
285 - Kerk

• Haha
Reactions: PABulldogs
Who is Jake Campbell? And the three Lee brothers in the lineup? Hadn’t heard much about Matt. Barraclough instead of Bartlett and SVN is a surprise.

Who is Jake Campbell? And the three Lee brothers in the lineup? Hadn’t heard much about Matt. Barraclough instead of Bartlett and SVN is a surprise.
I think Dice means this would be the lineup that preserves as many redshirts as possible, and buys the staff time to decide who goes to the postseason.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Jake Campbell is a grad transfer from Bucknell. IIRC, a few years ago he almost qualified as a soph and then got injured and the Covid happened. Its not out of the realm of possibility that three years more mature, in the room banging heads with Gilman, RBY, etc and under the tutelage of Cael and Co. for the first time that he could be a bit too much for Steen to handle at this point.

From the looks of it, Jake Campbell is taking a shot at 125. 5th year SR at 125 - he might be the surprise starter some insiders have mentioned.

Opening dual lineup could look like this:

125 - Campbell
133 - RBY
141 - Nick Lee
149 - Bearclaw
157 - Joe Lee
165 - Matt Lee
174 - Carter Starocci
184 - Aaron Brooks
197 - Dean/Beard
285 - Kerk
Of course it could.

Jake Campbell is a grad transfer from Bucknell. IIRC, a few years ago he almost qualified as a soph and then got injured and the Covid happened. Its not out of the realm of possibility that three years more mature, in the room banging heads with Gilman, RBY, etc and under the tutelage of Cael and Co. for the first time that he could be a bit too much for Steen to handle at this point.
Adding to this: Campbell was a 3x state placer at Boyertown. He was one of those guys who faced a rugged schedule and beat some state champs and runners-up in his career, but couldn't quite reach a state finals himself. He did finish 4th in the bracket with DeSanto, Lee, and Ryan Anderson (the following year's state champ Jeffrey Boyd DNP in that bracket).

Best win at Bucknell was as a SO over 4x NQ Gage Curry.. He also wrestled Darian Cruz tough as a true FR.

Starting him in November makes sense -- it preserves Steen's shirt if Suriano arrives. We're probably looking at a Meredith-type fall semester, and then see where we stand in January.

I think Dice means this would be the lineup that preserves as many redshirts as possible, and buys the staff time to decide who goes to the postseason.
AFac had originally planned on spending the GS year at OTC, would he pass up that opportunity to come be Matt Lee’s back-up?

AFac had originally planned on spending the GS year at OTC, would he pass up that opportunity to come be Matt Lee’s back-up?
I wouldn't think for long, no. Any idea how that program is proceeding w/ Jackson's departure? I haven't heard who the replacment may be. Who knows though, maybe Matt is taking it to him rn.

Some semi-related info:

I wouldn't think for long, no. Any idea how that program is proceeding w/ Jackson's departure? I haven't heard who the replacment may be. Who knows though, maybe Matt is taking it to him rn.

Some semi-related info:

I'm hearing we have at least one of our guys in that camp - although I hadn't heard it was Covid related. Maybe more. Be prepared for FLO to have us ranked about 8th Christmas week.

I wouldn't mind if what Spey is talking about happened across the board. There was some momentum towards this when Covid hit but the sticking point seemed to be the dates of the conference and national championships. I can't see why that can't be overcome. Might be some tough medicine short term for some but long term this would be a good thing IMO.

Reactions: nerfstate
I'm hearing we have at least one of our guys in that camp - although I hadn't heard it was Covid related. Maybe more. Be prepared for FLO to have us ranked about 8th Christmas week.
That’s sounds like significant missing points. Maybe RBY needs more time from his leg infection?

Some semi-related info:

I realize how this sounds and I fully expect to be properly educated on the subject but...

What are the advantages of going to the OTC for a year over training with the NLWC for a year?

I realize how this sounds and I fully expect to be properly educated on the subject but...

What are the advantages of going to the OTC for a year over training with the NLWC for a year?
one advantage would be the OTC most likely wouldn’t cost unlike living off campus and paying for living expenses.

ADVERTISEMENT