ADVERTISEMENT

News regarding our first football opponent (Akron)

normal_26football_3293.jpg

Think of it as a teddy bear.

Ah, Theodore Roosevelt. A good man. That's one Delta Kappa Epsilon alum who always did the right thing.

As for me buying that teddy bear? Unlikely.. The only stuffed animals I purchase are stuffed velociraptors.

Akron. Sigh...

The Lions are too good to be scheduling Akron and Georgia State as OOC opponents. Pitt is fine (it's a rivalry game), but the other two games are a chocolate mess. Seems to me that when it comes time to select playoff participants, it would be preferable if the Lions had a slightly stronger OOC schedule.. You want wins, to be sure, but I have to think they could schedule a beatable Power 5 team or two. Oregon State, Cal, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Mississippi State, Iowa State, Syracuse, UConn, etc. There are plenty of teams out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
Akron. Sigh...

Appalachian State is the 2018 opener, and Idaho is the 2019 opener.

We do need to start stepping it up. There are plenty of neutral-site games on opening weekend - we should try to get in one of them. Those games pay quite a lot of $$$. 2019 would be perfect, given we should be dropping Idaho regardless. They recently dropped to FCS - MAC foes are fine but FCS foes really aren't.

I'm forever envious of your perfect macho certainty.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

A good motto for life. It's too bad JoePa didn't use a "stick" on Jerry Sandusky when he had a chance.

Otherwise, JoePa would have something else in common with Teddy (besides being a DKE alum). They'd both be on Mount Rushmore. Teddy among Presidents, JoePa among college football coaches ........

Not even vigilantism can be enacted with precision without the benefit of hindsight.

Who was espousing vigilantism?

Telling MM "I'll go with you if you wish, but you MUST tell law enforcement what you told me. And if you don't have the courage to go to law enforcement, I'll at least try myself. Although they'll be much more likely to listen to you versus me, given you were the direct witness." is not "vigilantism."

As regards "hindsight" - there is more evidence than not as regards JoePa knowing about 1998 in 2001. The latest evidence as regards this was Tim Curley's testimony in the Spanier trial this past winter.

Wick Sollers supposedly has "indisputable evidence" that JoePa did NOT know about 1998 in 2001. Sollers said that 61 months ago. But, up through now, crickets from Sollers.

Why is Sollers not releasing this "indisputable evidence"? Wouldn't you like to see Sollers break his silence?

Last edited:

Telling MM "I'll go with you if you wish, but you MUST tell law enforcement what you told me. And if you don't have the courage to go to law enforcement, I'll at least try myself. Although they'll be much more likely to listen to you versus me, given you were the direct witness." is not "vigilantism."

As regards "hindsight" - there is more evidence than not as regards JoePa knowing about 1998 in 2001. The latest evidence as regards this was Tim Curley's testimony in the Spanier trial this past winter.

Wick Sollers supposedly has "indisputable evidence" that JoePa did NOT know about 1998 in 2001. Sollers said that 61 months ago. But, up through now, crickets from Sollers.

Why is Sollers not releasing this "indisputable evidence"? Wouldn't you like to see Sollers break his silence?
ee6afc25bbca949820d32d34c4937d8e.jpg

What exactly was Mr. Curley's testimony?
And what evidence is there aside from it?

Wouldn't you like to see Sollers break his silence?
I would.

What exactly was Mr. Curley's testimony?
And what evidence is there aside from it?

I (like 99.99999% of folk) wasn't directly at the trial. But every news story that I read said that Curley testified that Paterno knew in 1998 as regards Sandusky being investigated by law enforcement.

Curley said that Paterno was the "Coach" referred to in the infamous 1998 e-mails (the e-mails referenced in the Freeh Report).

The trial transcripts will come out eventually ........

What would you place the odds as regards Sollers not having such evidence?

Given the 61-month silence, I'd put the odds at fairly high. 61 months is a long time to let your client's reputation just get shredded.

Akron. Sigh...

The Lions are too good to be scheduling Akron and Georgia State as OOC opponents. Pitt is fine (it's a rivalry game), but the other two games are a chocolate mess. Seems to me that when it comes time to select playoff participants, it would be preferable if the Lions had a slightly stronger OOC schedule.. You want wins, to be sure, but I have to think they could schedule a beatable Power 5 team or two. Oregon State, Cal, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Mississippi State, Iowa State, Syracuse, UConn, etc. There are plenty of teams out there.
yes I know, that OCC schedule really hurt Washington when it came down to getting in the final 4.

I (like 99.99999% of folk) wasn't directly at the trial. But every news story that I read said that Curley testified that Paterno knew in 1998 as regards Sandusky being investigated by law enforcement.

Curley said that Paterno was the "Coach" referred to in the infamous 1998 e-mails (the e-mails referenced in the Freeh Report).

The trial transcripts will come out eventually ........

What would you place the odds as regards Sollers not having such evidence?

Given the 61-month silence, I'd put the odds at fairly high. 61 months is a long time to let your client's reputation just get shredded.
help me out here, not as smart as you. the State of PA knew about 98 and they didn't have a problem with it, so why should Joe?

yes I know, that OCC schedule really hurt Washington when it came down to getting in the final 4.
Yeah, I figured someone would bring up the Huskies' lamentable OOC schedule last year. They managed to get into the playoff despite it. But that was probably the exception, not the rule. You are gonna have a tough time convincing me that PSU could not find at least one additional representative OOC opponent to schedule. I realize that schools like Akron and Georgia State are willing to visit Happy Valley without insisting on a home and home arrangement, as most Power 5 schools would likely do. So there is a money and home scheduling component to this as well. But PSU's OOC schedule is laughable. It just is.

Not sure. I do know that a 'zip' is a zipper. I guess it was invented or manufactured in Akron. Not a lot of good choices for a zipper mascot!

That does limit choices somewhat. Most of the zipper-related mascots that I can think of are not safe for work.

Reactions: Zenophile
Yeah, I figured someone would bring up the Huskies' lamentable OOC schedule last year. They managed to get into the playoff despite it. But that was probably the exception, not the rule. You are gonna have a tough time convincing me that PSU could not find at least one additional representative OOC opponent to schedule. I realize that schools like Akron and Georgia State are willing to visit Happy Valley without insisting on a home and home arrangement, as most Power 5 schools would likely do. So there is a money and home scheduling component to this as well. But PSU's OOC schedule is laughable. It just is.
I think it is more the world we live in. It seems you can have a loss, and make the playoffs, 2 and you are done. So which you rather, play OOC you can win, and it doesn't hurt your playoff chances or play a tougher OOC, and risk a loss you may not be able to make up? We were B!G champs, beat OSU, won the CC game, and all you heard, 'was yeah but you lost to sPitt'.

help me out here, not as smart as you. the State of PA knew about 98 and they didn't have a problem with it, so why should Joe?

How many times did Joe say he never heard anything about Sandusky prior to 01 incident? but then it's revealed by Curley that Joe indeed new about 98 during the recent trials in March.

so if he new about 98, the 01 report should've sprung red flags, alarms, whistles, what-have-you that there was not only a serious issue with Jerry, that not reporting to DPW, CYS, and the police (which occurred in 98), was the absolute wrong thing to do.

he blew it

How many times did Joe say he never heard anything about Sandusky prior to 01 incident? but then it's revealed by Curley that Joe indeed new about 98 during the recent trials in March.

so if he new about 98, the 01 report should've sprung red flags, alarms, whistles, what-have-you that there was not only a serious issue with Jerry, that not reporting to DPW, CYS, and the police (which occurred in 98), was the absolute wrong thing to do.

he blew it
he always said he heard rumors, so we don't know the extent the JVP knew. If the State of PA didn't spring red flags, alarms , whistles , what have you in 98, why should have JVP? The State of PA blew it, not JVP. If you need to throw TC under the bus, who we know knew about both fine. JVP did what he was suppose to do.

Two points:
1) None of the reports -- including the email included in Freeh (2012) -- contain any indication that Joe had any knowledge of specificity of the 1998 investigation, and
2) As a result of the investigation, the 1998 incident was deemed "Unfounded" by the Department of Welfare.

he always said he heard rumors, so we don't know the extent the JVP knew. If the State of PA didn't spring red flags, alarms , whistles , what have you in 98, why should have JVP? The State of PA blew it, not JVP. If you need to throw TC under the bus, who we know knew about both fine. JVP did what he was suppose to do.

not that I'm sticking up for the State of PA who's as straight as a question mark.......but in 98, that's a fair argument

but in 01???....3 years after being busted being alone & naked with a young boy?....i wonder what red flags, alarms, & whistles would've went off with the State of PA hearing Jerry did it...again?.......oh wait.....they didn't know about 01.

for all I know, the State of PA wouldn't of done d*ck....citing lack of evidence....who effin knows. but for fvcks sake....cover your ass (no pun) and report the effin pervert and keep record of such report.......but no......they didn't do jack sh*t!!!.....

he blew it

Except that he was not busted, and that's the problem.

huh?....i'm not saying busted in as convincted....i'm saying "busted".....let's not twist words..............was he alone, naked with a boy in 98...and 01...and PSU admins were aware of both.....and State of PA was aware of only 98?

true or not?

Let's not twist words. Joe Paterno was not a PSU admin.

yyyeah, i know that.....you're alluding to he had no say. however, ironically, he was involved in "the plan" on what to do with Sandusky in 01 (based on Curley's testimony).....which again....amounted to jack sh*t.

yyyeah, i know that.....you're alluding to he had no say. however, ironically, he was involved in "the plan" on what to do with Sandusky in 01 (based on Curley's testimony).....which again....amounted to jack sh*t.
There is a critical distinction between influence & authority -- and perhaps more germane to your point, between celebrity & omniscience.

There is a critical distinction between influence & authority -- and perhaps more germane to your point, between celebrity & omniscience.

that's an optimistic view.....unfortunately, I think all efforts to prove your point have gone the way of the dodo bird.

typically....perception is reality.

not enough (practically 0) powerful men in JoePa's corner.....JayPa/ScottPa & Franco ain't gonna cut it.

that's an optimistic view.....unfortunately, I think all efforts to prove your point have gone the way of the dodo bird.

typically....perception is reality.

not enough (practically 0) powerful men in JoePa's corner.....JayPa/ScottPa & Franco ain't gonna cut it.
It's unquestionably the view supported by all available facts.

Akron. Sigh...

Remember, playing Georgia State is CJF paying their coaching staff for allowing our staff to run a camp at their facilities. You have to believe that the recent influx of interest from Georgia athletes has something to do with that camp.

Reactions: bytir
It's unquestionably the view supported by all available facts.

i guess that helps you....and you might even be right.....but what's the point when nobody else knows about it or believes it?

perception is reality.

in addition, the Paterno camp has been eerily quiet since the March trials.

Ah, Theodore Roosevelt. A good man. That's one Delta Kappa Epsilon alum who always did the right thing.

As for me buying that teddy bear? Unlikely.. The only stuffed animals I purchase are stuffed velociraptors.

Chuck Norris? Is that you?

You're just full of it Michy !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT