ADVERTISEMENT

News: Penn State to host Lehigh for BJC Dual

Aug 8, 2010
This just in from the athletic department...

Nittany Lion Wrestlers to Host Lehigh in BJC Dual
Battle of Pennsylvania titans set for Sunday, Dec. 4

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; July 28, 2016 – The Penn State wrestling team, winner of five of the last six NCAA and Big Ten titles, has announced the date and opponent of the 2016-17 BJC Dual. Head coach Cael Sanderson’s Nittany Lions will host Lehigh on Sunday, Dec. 4. The time is to be announced.

With the increasingly high demand for Penn State wrestling tickets, the Nittany Lions have wrestled at least one dual meet in the Bryce Jordan Center in each of the last three years (two last year). The Lion/Mountain Hawk battle will mark the second time that Sanderson and the Lions have welcomed one of Pennsylvania’s other top programs. Penn State averaged a school record 8,756 fans per dual last year and heads into the new season with 32 sell-outs in its last 33 duals, including 29 straight in Rec Hall and three of four in the BJC.

Penn State owns a 67-34-3 advantage in its long-time series with intra-state rival Lehigh. The Nittany Lions have won six straight, including last year’s 28-9 victory in Bethlehem.

Having Lehigh experience the BJC dual experience will be cool. My only concern would be what to do with the Brown and White singlet kids if they back up too far. They could fall from the platform. I understand the retreat to attack style is generally a controlled retreat but wrestling in front of 15,000 might get their nerves on edge and the urge to wrestle in reverse could lead to reverse sprints to the edge. Maybe some safety netting to catch the one or two who might go.;)

Have to admit - this made me spit my coffee out!

Although in fairness, I think you will find a number of the younger Lehigh wrestlers are pretty aggressive, and a number of the old guard have moved on...

Reactions: Brian LB-U
...Lehigh has a bunch of quality wrestlers and will be a worthy opponent...

...they generally finish in the top ten at NCAAs...

...two years ago they defeated OSU- the NCAA champions- in their dual meet, while we lost to OSU the same year...

...their recent recruits included some of the best H.S. kids in Pennsylvania - Beckman, Nate Brown, Randy and Darian Cruz, and Mitch Minotti, together with several good ones from Blair and Bergen Catholic...and incoming stars Jordan Wood from Boyertown, Luke Karam from Bethlehem Catholic, Jake Jacobsen from Stroudsburg and Chris Weiler from Wyoming Seminary ...

...should be a good match...

Should have a lot of close matches, but PSU with a legit shot at a shutout.

I do think the Cruz bros will win, and of course Lehigh will have shot at 133, 165, 74/84 (wherever Bo isn't), 197, and 285, but I like the matchups for PSU at home.

Honestly, after listening to the audio from those obnoxious fans in attendance for last year's dual, I hope they get shut-out. I know it's not fair to judge an entire fan-base on the few, but they forced me to mute a dual, and I don't think I've ever had to do that before, besides when I get sick of hearing Gibbons/Johnson talk about Matt McDonough 5 years after he graduated.

97, HWT, 41, 25 are tosses at this point. 33 we should be favored but will be a good match. Everyone else is a favorite on our side

I do think the Cruz bros will win, and of course Lehigh will have shot at 133, 165, 74/84 (wherever Bo isn't), 197, and 285, but I like the matchups for PSU at home.

Do you see a weight where Lehigh is clearly favored?

No, but why should I think PSU wins all the tossups? Which could include quite a few, add another without Cassar as well as this is an early dual.That's not realistic to say LEGIT shot as Lemonhead posted, agree?

Damn, never thought I'd be the PSU homer.

I really don't think Gulibon beats Cruz, but I did factor in Stout when going over the matchups. Haas is no world beater. I think PSU gets a shutout at home maybe 1 out of 10 home duals. To me, that's a legit shot, if still unlikely.

Projecting 23 - 13 so far...that will obviously change once the season starts and wrestlers get some matches...

http://testwrestlestat.azurewebsites.net/compare/dual/60/penn-state/37/lehigh
I don't think I can handle another Randy Cruz match of him clinging like a remora on a whale. Last year's match was horribly officiated, in my opinion. That isn't an enjoyable wrestling style. I hope Jimmy gets a better escape working. That is one of the hopes for the match for me.

Otherwise, Joseph, Nevills, Cassar and Suriano all have tough matchups. All are winnable and would definitely set the tone for the rest of the season.

I'd be willing to take a lot of action that Suriano does not lose 14-0 and I am not a betting person. ;)
Agree, as I've stated in previous posts about the prediction engine, it has NOTHING to go on except the default ranking for wrestlers that haven't wrestled a D1 match yet. We all know that Suriano will be AT LEAST a R12 out of the gate, if not AA.

I don't think I can handle another Randy Cruz match of him clinging like a remora on a whale. Last year's match was horribly officiated, in my opinion. That isn't an enjoyable wrestling style. I hope Jimmy gets a better escape working. That is one of the hopes for the match for me.

Otherwise, Joseph, Nevills, Cassar and Suriano all have tough matchups. All are winnable and would definitely set the tone for the rest of the season.

I don't think we see Cassar this early, no need.

No, but why should I think PSU wins all the tossups? Which could include quite a few, add another without Cassar as well as this is an early dual.That's not realistic to say LEGIT shot as Lemonhead posted, agree?
I mean he didn't predict it, just said there was a real shot. And I'm not convinced there's more than maybe 2-3 toss ups

Surprised, but glad this was published so early. We may see the full schedule sooner than expected too, though the BTN dates, I'm told, may not be firm until September. Generally with BTN duals, the weekend is known, but the actual day (Friday, Saturday, or Sunday) and time is not.

Remember that match quite well. Was sitting in an away arena that felt like it was two-thirds PSU fans!! The rules, if applied properly, could have...maybe should have...resulted in stall calls against Jimmy. For most of the stalemates, the legs were already in when Jimmy stood.

POSSIBLE STALL, STALEMATE OR POTENTIALLY
DANGEROUS. The defensive wrestler is stalling if he repeatedly
stands to cause a stalemate. The top (offensive) wrestler is stalling
if he repeatedly applies legs after the defensive (bottom) wrestler
is already standing. If neither wrestler can improve this position, a
stalemate may be called. If, in the opinion of the referee, this situation
becomes unstable, “potentially dangerous” may be called.

Reactions: JimNazium

133 (Cortez vs. Scott Parker) fits that category as well -- good early-season barometer.

I'll never forget this from Stabler last year.

I always enjoy when the camera angle picks up the guys on the bench for moments like that. Great reactions.

A handful of Nolf's falls came this way last year, and even though it's a move that relies somewhat on the element of surprise, opponents had to know it was coming because he used it a bunch. I think he tried it multiple times in the same match even.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Have to admit - this made me spit my coffee out!

Although in fairness, I think you will find a number of the younger Lehigh wrestlers are pretty aggressive, and a number of the old guard have moved on...
I don't know. Most programs have a personality and Lehigh's offense especially when they are not overwhelmingly better, is they slide backwards lower position and be prepared to spring forward with a shot if opponent steps straight in positioned high.
If shot taken and takedown accomplished then hang (ride) like a leech or takedown not accomplished wrestle to a stalemate.
If shot not taken (which is often) then repeat.

I admit I generally root for Lehigh, but their style of grappling has not been very offensive minded for quite a while.

...Lehigh has a bunch of quality wrestlers and will be a worthy opponent...

...they generally finish in the top ten at NCAAs...

...two years ago they defeated OSU- the NCAA champions- in their dual meet, while we lost to OSU the same year...

...their recent recruits included some of the best H.S. kids in Pennsylvania - Beckman, Nate Brown, Randy and Darian Cruz, and Mitch Minotti, together with several good ones from Blair and Bergen Catholic...and incoming stars Jordan Wood from Boyertown, Luke Karam from Bethlehem Catholic, Jake Jacobsen from Stroudsburg and Chris Weiler from Wyoming Seminary ...

...should be a good match...

Great recruiting haul Lehigh had, Karam a 3x PIAA champ who defeated Fix that consumes people on here, was there anyone more overlooked out of last year's class than Luke? He'll shirt and be nasty in 2 years, really long and rangy kid, he pinned Dayton in FS
He beat him last year. Any reason to think he wouldn't this year? I'm hoping to see a widening of the score.

Was that at the Scuffle, score? I believe Nolf stacked Minotti there before Mitchell was injured and unavailable for the dual later in the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdv
Lehigh and Penn State have a history that is long and intense and this will be a good match for the BJC dual, but for all the backlash over the shutout comment. A Penn State shutout is not out of the realm of possibilities.

125 Suriano. We all expect him to step in and step up.
133 Cortz has already beaten Parker and as pointed out above history indicates PSU kids who are going to be good do widen the gaps over most others.
141 This will be a good indicator for Jimmy. If Jimmy comes out wrestling all 7 minutes like a man on a mission, then I would expect him to wear Cruz out and win maybe going away.
149 and 157 Nothing needs said.
165 Does anybody really think for a second Joseph is not the real deal?
174 and 184 Bo, and either Rasheed or Matt - no Nate Brown wrestling for Lehigh.
197 Even without Cassar, Stout is going to be solid and the B&W isn't running out an AA.
HWT I don't know about anybody else, but Nick healthy with plenty of preparation is going to beat most other heavyweights not ranked in the top 4 or 5.

Not a single weight where I don't believe the Lions do not a very legitimate shot at winning.

I always enjoy when the camera angle picks up the guys on the bench for moments like that. Great reactions.

A handful of Nolf's falls came this way last year, and even though it's a move that relies somewhat on the element of surprise, opponents had to know it was coming because he used it a bunch. I think he tried it multiple times in the same match even.
He almost ran Joe Smith over like this in the quarters. JoJo had too much junk in the trunk to go over.

Reactions: diggerpup
Lehigh and Penn State have a history that is long and intense and this will be a good match for the BJC dual, but for all the backlash over the shutout comment. A Penn State shutout is not out of the realm of possibilities.

125 Suriano. We all expect him to step in and step up.
133 Cortz has already beaten Parker and as pointed out above history indicates PSU kids who are going to be good do widen the gaps over most others.
141 This will be a good indicator for Jimmy. If Jimmy comes out wrestling all 7 minutes like a man on a mission, then I would expect him to wear Cruz out and win maybe going away.
149 and 157 Nothing needs said.
165 Does anybody really think for a second Joseph is not the real deal?
174 and 184 Bo, and either Rasheed or Matt - no Nate Brown wrestling for Lehigh.
197 Even without Cassar, Stout is going to be solid and the B&W isn't running out an AA.
HWT I don't know about anybody else, but Nick healthy with plenty of preparation is going to beat most other heavyweights not ranked in the top 4 or 5.

Not a single weight where I don't believe the Lions do not a very legitimate shot at winning.E]
Will the bought and paid for Beca roster be sitting behind them this year also?

Not sure, but Becahi's talented HWT (Camacho)just verballed to American I saw

My daughter will be a freshman at PSU in August and I have been a PSU fan for @ 30 years!
How difficult will it be to get 2 tickets for the PSU vs LH match on 12/4?
Do you get tickets directly thru PSU at gopsusports.com?
Any help or advice would be appreciated!

My daughter will be a freshman at PSU in August and I have been a PSU fan for @ 30 years!

Some thoughts ...

First, congrats to your daughter, and congrats to you. It's always nice to have additional reasons to visit State College.

Tickets for BJC matches are the easiest of PSU wrestling match tickets to obtain. If I recall correctly, season ticket holders get their tickets first, then they are allowed to purchased additional tickets, and then the tickets go on sale to the general public. Info about purchasing tickets will be posted on GoPSUsports.com at some point in the future, and I'm sure it will be linked on this board.

Reactions: JBott
Assuming the 2 are for you and your daughter, several ways to go.

I believe student tickets will be free - first-come, first-serve, and by memory, I think students have 300 seats, and they all sit together. If you go this route, it will cost less, but you won't be sitting with your daughter.

Whether buying 1 ticket (daughter goes the student-ticket route) or 2 (you decide to buy tickets and sit together), you will follow this protocol;
Season ticket holders get first dibs. They can buy extra tickets.
After season ticket holders are; group sales, NLC Members, and lastly General Public.

Where you fit in the scheme above will determine when you can buy tickets. Calling the Ticket Office, or clicking on the "Tickets" link on gopsusports.com (wrestling page) should give you what you need.

I'm so psyched for this dual. When I first started wrestling in high school after being the last cut from my freshmen basketball team, the first college wrestling matches I saw were PSU/Lehigh matches broadcast on Channel 33 in Hershey (I believe the live work was done by Channel 39 in the Lehigh Valley). It's my favorite rivalry for PSU wrestling.

A little history; We've been wrestling Lehigh since 1933-34, or this will be our 84th consecutive year!!

My first one, in person, was 1974-75...Rec Hall was as loud in those days as it is today, especially with rivals such as Lehigh.

...a little more history ...

... my first match was 1950 ... since then I have only missed 2 or 3 of the 71 matches we have wrestled - for sure 1955 and 1956 when I was in the army...

...there have only been 2 shutouts over that period ... 39-0 in 1993 (home) and 33-0 in 2008 (away) - both won by Penn State ...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT