ADVERTISEMENT

News of rafting accident near Jim Thorpe

HazletonLion

Nov 17, 2003
Been hearing some horrible news of 215 people went rafting only 46 found so far. I hope this isn't true.

Lehigh River rescuers search for 145 rafters; all appear to be OK on land

Water rescue crews from Lehigh and Northampton counties were dispatched Monday evening to the rain-swollen Lehigh River after Lehighton officials reported as many as 145 rafters were unaccounted for.

Three hours later, Carbon County 911 Director Gary Williams said emergency officials were fairly confident everyone who made the raft trip is alive and well.

“It sounds like they’re kind of wrapping it [the search] up right now,” Williams said at 9:45 p.m. “They seem to be happy with the numbers, or else they’d still be out there. The people on the scene are talking to the rafting company.”

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/...s-missing-on-lehigh-river-20180813-story.html

Reactions: NedFromYork
Just heard that everyone is safe. I call that a miracle.

Not accurate. The news reported all are safe - however from those on the scene the helicopters and rescue efforts are being halted due to lightning. The news saw the halting of the rescue as a sign that all were rescued. Comments from family members on facebook are indicating that there are still some missing. Reporters ran with the story to make the 10pm news.

Owner of the rafting business will be charged with 200+ counts of child endangerment for the incomprehensible decision to send the group down the river on the day after a dam release and the biggest flooding in recent years.

Not accurate. The news reported all are safe - however from those on the scene the helicopters and rescue efforts are being halted due to lightning. The news saw the halting of the rescue as a sign that all were rescued. Comments from family members on facebook are indicating that there are still some missing. Reporters ran with the story to make the 10pm news.

Owner of the rafting business will be charged with 200+ counts of child endangerment for the incomprehensible decision to send the group down the river on the day after a dam release and the biggest flooding in recent years.
I almost couldn’t believe the story. How can someone be so stupid (or greedy for money)?

Reactions: JoeFi
Comments from family members on facebook are indicating that there are still some missing. Reporters ran with the story to make the 10pm news.
I haven’t seen this corroborated anywhere this morning...

I would expect nothing less from you. I suggest reading up on the situation.

By the way....FREE JERRY!

You don't know anything about me. I've never said JS should be free. I have said he deserves a fair trial just like anyone else.

As far as the raft thing goes, why blame the guy renting the rafts for the stupidity of the people who rented them?

As far as the raft thing goes, why blame the guy renting the rafts for the stupidity of the people who rented them?

Because the people renting the rafts probably don't know the waters and might not even realize how much higher and faster they are compared to normal conditions. It's up to the business owner to provide those little details.

EDIT: And now that I'm reading the articles, it says they were juveniles. What kind of a fool are you if you think the owner bears no responsibility in this?

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
You don't know anything about me. I've never said JS should be free. I have said he deserves a fair trial just like anyone else.

What a strange rant. You having a bad day?

Been hearing some horrible news of 215 people went rafting only 46 found so far. I hope this isn't true.
WNEP news out of Scranton area reporting that all girls are safe. All were between the age of 12-16. Forty-six were pulled from the river near Lehighton; only one needed health care. Treated and released from hospital.

I almost couldn’t believe the story. How can someone be so stupid (or greedy for money)?

The Password is "Greed"
0.jpg

What the hell is wrong with you?

These were minors. CHILDREN. Had you spent one moment actually reading instead of pontificating like the dullard that you are, you could have saved your rant for another day.

Stick to fighting the "good fight" for Jerry.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
What, he forced people into those rafts! Did he put a gun to their heads?

Pray that everyone is safe!
Read up on “common law negligence”. Duties are imposed on various actors, including service providers such as these. Contributory negligence can be a mitigating factor in many jurisdictions, but it varies. MJG-90 analyzed the role specific knowledge plays in these situations.

Note that in many cases the many page release you may sign so that you can zip line, raft, etc are worthless to the business owner as they attempt to get you - the relatively uninformed consumer who may have driven hours to his business — to release the business from all but their intentional wrongdoing. Sorry - doesn’t work that way.

Your comment is analogous to the classic line in Airplane - “they bought their tickets, they know the risk of flight, I say, let them crash”

I don't know how PA regulates rafting tour operators, but this guy needs to lose his license

ADVERTISEMENT