ADVERTISEMENT

New Weber grill- is this one worth the price

republion

Mar 24, 2009
My local Lowes has a new Weber E-335 Genesis II Black natural gas grill listed at MSRP, which is $979. It must have tipped over or something, because the side burner end is crushed in a bit. It’s not bad, but a very visible dent on the front and rear where the metal folded in. I can probably work it out a little, but it will still be visible damage. Also, the manufacturer’s sticker on the back shows it to be a 2018. They have offered to sell it for $700, which ends up being $750 out the door after taxes. Is it worth it?

My local Lowes has a new Weber E-335 Genesis II Black natural gas grill listed at MSRP, which is $979. It must have tipped over or something, because the side burner end is crushed in a bit. It’s not bad, but a very visible dent on the front and rear where the metal folded in. I can probably work it out a little, but it will still be visible damage. Also, the manufacturer’s sticker on the back shows it to be a 2018. They have offered to sell it for $700, which ends up being $750 out the door after taxes. Is it worth it?

No

Reactions: republion
The reality is pellet grills are really only good for smoking. It's all indirect heat. And, if you try and grill above 350F you really start chewing through pellets.
As an previous owner of a stick burners (true off set smokers and two kamado’s, plus gassers) I can say that pellet grills are inferior to the stick burners and even the eggs when it comes to smoke. They are way more convenient however.

BTW- I gave up my egg for a pellet (MAC). Still have a gasser and thinking of getting a dedicated charcoal grill. (Probably a PK or Weber 20”)

there are just many “trade-offs” depending on how you cook AND convince. If I had to narrow it down to one it would be a Kamado style

I should have mentioned. I have a BGE style 24” smoker. It is a beast and I love it. But I also like the convenience of gas for the quick stuff. My current Weber is a 2007 and it’s showing it’s age.

Reactions: wbcincy

For that kind of damage that doesn't seem like much of a discount. You can probably find a 10% discount to tack onto it, and signing up for a Lowes credit card might get it even lower. I wonder if those parts are under warranty. My parents have a Weber, and calling them to get warranty parts was easy.

For that kind of damage that doesn't seem like much of a discount. You can probably find a 10% discount to tack onto it, and signing up for a Lowes credit card might get it even lower. I wonder if those parts are under warranty. My parents have a Weber, and calling them to get warranty parts was easy.
That’s what I was thinking. Buy it and see if warranty will cover the damage.

Reactions: 91Joe95
The wife bought me a Weber Genesis II SE-335 from Ace Hardware for my bday. They put it together and delivered it for free. For a propane grill, I absolutely love it. It’s so well made and easy to pull apart and clean. She also got my the Bluetooth Meat thermometer accessory, it’s a very cool little gadget it my book.

The wife bought me a Weber Genesis II SE-335 from Ace Hardware for my bday. They put it together and delivered it for free. For a propane grill, I absolutely love it. It’s so well made and easy to pull apart and clean. She also got my the Bluetooth Meat thermometer accessory, it’s a very cool little gadget it my book.
Nice. I might pull the trigger on it. Plus I think I can sell mine for $250

Those 9mm stainless steel grates are the bomb and the sear station actually works spot on. I’m not sure what the difference between the E-335 and SE-335 without looking, but I’m sure it’s not much.

I like my Weber Summit. Very well built.

As for the comments on pellet grills, my Yoder 640 does just fine in competitions. I often beat the stick burners. The truth is if you go with a high-end pellet, the quality of the end product is the same, only much easier.

Agree with the comment that usually the pellets do not impart as much smoke but it really depends on what kind of pellets you use. I have a local company that makes their own competition mix and it does very, very well.

I probably grill or smoke 3-4 times a week and have the 22" Weber Kettle, the 22" Weber Smokey Mountain, and an old Weber Spirit from around 2010. So obviously I'm going to see yes, the Weber is worth it.

I've been keeping my eye out for a Genesis for a while, will probably pull the trigger in the next year. Then I really want to add a BGE or Kamado Joe.

Get yourself a new weber with no damage. Spend the extra money, with minimal care it will last you forever. Look at it as an investment not an expense!

I got the stainless steel version of this grill for my birthday from my wife - replacing a similar Weber I had for 12 years. It is holding up well and a solid choice for a propane grill. I use the side burner a ton for blackened fish or skillet searing tenderloins before finishing on indirect heat on the grill.

I also have a BGE that I use for smokes, direct heat searing, pizza, etc. They are completely different tool - both awesome in their own ways.

Get yourself a new weber with no damage. Spend the extra money, with minimal care it will last you forever. Look at it as an investment not an expense!
It all depends on how and where the grill is stored. If you store the grill inside a shed or garage for example, it will last 25 years or so. On the other hand, if it’s stored outside in the elements, even with a grill cover on it, it won’t last as long.

I store my Summit (about 11 yrs old) inside my screened in porch and had to replace the igniters already which cost about $300 for the part.

Reactions: cment
It all depends on how and where the grill is stored. If you store the grill inside a shed or garage for example, it will last 25 years or so. On the other hand, if it’s stored outside in the elements, even with a grill cover on it, it won’t last as long.

I store my Summit (about 11 yrs old) inside my screened in porch and had to replace the igniters already which cost about $300 for the part.
Yah, mine is stored outside and covered (I’m in NC). The lid has some rust on the back side of the inside sheet metal, but overall, it’s in decent shape.

I agree, I store mine outside in a screened area in Fl. I replaced my igniters once but unless yours is a typo mine cost around $30?

Yah, mine is stored outside and covered (I’m in NC). The lid has some rust on the back side of the inside sheet metal, but overall, it’s in decent shape.
If current Weber in good shape, bump up the BGE purchase, and get a new Weber when you really need it (like another 10+ years from now).
edit ... nvm, you've already got a BGE (must have been thinking of something else)

That’s what I was thinking. Buy it and see if warranty will cover the damage.
Why would it be under warranty if you bought it that way? You cheap bastards kill me. Either get it because you think it's worth it or not. But don't be such a bitch.

• Haha
If current Weber in good shape, bump up the BGE purchase, and get a new Weber when you really need it (like another 10+ years from now).
edit ... nvm, you've already got a BGE (must have been thinking of something else)
Best advice right here. I have both and my Weber Genesis is about 10 years old and is showing age. I will use it until I can’t no more and replace with a new one. Use my egg for smokes and weekend grill use.

I agree, I store mine outside in a screened area in Fl. I replaced my igniters once but unless yours is a typo mine cost around $30?
My mistake, it was around $180 to replace the igniters. The igniters are part of the manifold. You just can’t replace the igniters, at least not on my Summit. It’s all one piece.

If I never cook food on gas grill again, it will be too soon. Charcoal and wood add great flavor. Gas either doesn’t add flavor or adds a “gas” flavor. I love my Big Green Egg, and would be open to a pellet smoker in the future. I also find it very useful to have my Blackstone griddle for quick burgers and searing.

I had a Summit. Great grill.

Offer $600. Maybe they'll accept or counter. I bought one this spring with the sear station also in NG. Its been great so far. Only issue with sear is that it can only handle 1 steak at a time.

Get a big green egg.

Or Kamado Joe.... smoked a pork shoulder yesterday. Turned out great.

That said, I bought a Weber E Series grill myself last year. Made a recipe called "5 minute chicken" from Sam The Cooking Guy on youtube, and just getting the KJ up to temp was 45 minutes... Too much for 5 minutes of cook time.

Fire the gas up, 10 minutes and I'm riding 550 which will indeed give you 5 minute chicken..............

If I never cook food on gas grill again, it will be too soon. Charcoal and wood add great flavor. Gas either doesn’t add flavor or adds a “gas” flavor. I love my Big Green Egg, and would be open to a pellet smoker in the future. I also find it very useful to have my Blackstone griddle for quick burgers and searing.

These guys are the biggest advertisement for the Blackstone............

https://www.youtube.com/c/WALTWINS

Reactions: Ranger Dan
We only use our gas grill for very quick cooks like burgers and dogs. My wife uses it much more than I do since she refuses to light the charcoal and wait.

I have been looking at the Blackstone griddles. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they pretty much a gas grill with a solid top? And wouldn't a good cast iron flat griddle pan on your gas grill do the same thing?

I should have mentioned. I have a BGE style 24” smoker. It is a beast and I love it. But I also like the convenience of gas for the quick stuff. My current Weber is a 2007 and it’s showing it’s age.

I have a large BGE. Yes it takes a bit more time to heat up but I can be grilling in 20 minutes with my BGE.

1. Worth it, but work the manager for another 10% off. There's no shame in frugality. For anyone who says there is, GFY.
  2. It's still under warranty unless Lowes registered it (highly unlikely). But if you make a claim then have fun trying to explain to Weber why you accepted a grill with overt damages.
I bought a Weber Genesis II SE 335 in Nat Gas from ACE Hardware 3 years ago. $950 fully assembled and delivered. It replaced a propane grill and a charcoal smoker and I haven't looked back. As you know with Nat Gas you've an unlimited fuel source so you can smoke away for hours and that I do, to a ratio of 4:1 over grilling. It's nice not to: 1) run for propane tank refills and 2) mess with dirty charcoal.

I smoke by putting Traeger pellets in a 4X6 inch aluminum pan over direct heat. After one hour (I don't bother recharging pellets) it imbues only a suggestion of smoke, which is fine by us because we want to be able to taste the meat. The added benefit of smoking is it seasons your grill much as a cast iron skillet is seasoned by cooking.

As for grilling I do mostly steaks and the occasional chops. The seer station (4th burner) works great for putting grate marks on the meat while keeping the inside medium rare (it's sacrilege to overcook a steak). I saw a comment where you can only seer one steak at a time. Curious because I do as many as four sirloins at once.

As for storage I store mine on a covered back porch sans grill cover. When needed I simply roll it out onto my patio, attach the gas hose and away I go! I have no rusting issues. It's sacrilege to put the water hose to a Weber! I clean out the inside fire box using a steamer, and not too often given how little I grill vs. smoke. Also, you'll be surprised how clean your firebox remains when you cook loose meat such as burgers on a cast iron skillet (I use Lodge).

Bottom line if you like convenience, flexibility and aren't an anal weekend warrior about grilling/smoking then Weber in Nat Gas is for you! Whenever we want real OG barbeque we eat out. There are plenty of good places from which to choose in the DFW Metroplex. Support your local restaurants!

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbbp and republion
I have been looking at the Blackstone griddles. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they pretty much a gas grill with a solid top? And wouldn't a good cast iron flat griddle pan on your gas grill do the same thing?

Much more "real estate" on the blackstone. Plenty of space to work.

I bought a cast iron skillet maybe 24 x 16 to make smash burgers. Biggest one I could find on Amazon that will fit on my weber. Can only smash 6 burger patty's comfortably. Maybe 8 if I squeeze.

Damn thing is 25 LB and a pain in the ass to clean, but smash burgers are the real deal.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Just tried my RT-700 reqtec wood pellet grill for the first time yesterday. Spot on. Best grill I have ever had. Cooks to perfection.

Reactions: d-1980
ADVERTISEMENT