ADVERTISEMENT

New W Volleyball Assistant Coach Named

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
Penn State women's volleyball head coach Russ Rose announced the hiring of former University of Pennsylvania head coach Katie Schumacher-Cawley as an assistant coach with the Nittany Lions. A two-time All-American and a member of Penn State’s 1999 National Championship team, Schumacher-Cawley returns to State College after serving as a head coach for the last nine seasons at Penn and Illinois-Chicago (UIC).

“I want to welcome Katie, her husband, Mike, and their three daughters back to the Penn State family,” Rose said. “She brings experience of going through our program, which when blended with her time as a head coach, will make her a tremendous asset. But, the greatest thing she brings to our program is her energy, upbeat attitude and her work ethic. She will be an outstanding mentor for our student-athletes, which to me is a really important piece.”

“First and foremost, I want to thank Coach Rose, [Director of Athletics] Sandy [Barbour] and [Senior Associate AD] Charmelle [Green] for affording me the opportunity to return to Penn State, a place that means so much to my family, and one with the richest volleyball tradition in the country,” Schumacher-Cawley said. “Coach, [Russ Rose’s wife] Lori and the entire Nittany Lion community have always been so special to me. I am grateful to be come back to State College in a new role and assist Coach Rose in continuing the tradition of excellence the Nittany Lions have established on the court, in the classroom and in our community.

spacer.gif

“I’d also like to thank the administration and student-athletes at Penn for the chance to serve as the head coach of the Quakers and for their understanding of the opportunity to return to my alma mater.”

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/020518aaa.html

Hohenshelt Named WVB Assistant Coach

Penn State women's volleyball head coach Russ Rose announced the promotion of Dennis Hohenshelt from volunteer assistant to assistant coach with the Nittany Lions. Hohenshelt spent 16 seasons at Penn State with the men’s and women’s volleyball teams prior to a five-year stint as the women’s volleyball coach at Virginia.

“I want to welcome Dennis and his family back to Penn State,” Rose said. “Dennis has great institutional knowledge and familiarity with our program from his previous stints with both Penn State’s men’s and women’s volleyball programs. In addition to his time at Penn State, serving as the head coach at Virginia has provided valuable experience that he can contribute and help ease the transition for the staff.”

“I’m excited to be able to stay on staff and in State College, a place that means a lot to my family. I want to thank [Director of Athletics] Sandy [Barbour] and [Senior Associate AD] Charmelle [Green] and Coach Rose for the opportunity to come back to Penn State and be able to work at what I consider one of the premier volleyball programs in the country,” Hohenshelt stated. “It’s a big advantage, not only for me, but also for the program, that we are able to pick up where we left off in the fall and hit the ground running in the spring training cycle.”

Hohenshelt spent the 2017 season as the volunteer assistant coach for the Nittany Lions, and was a key component to Penn State’s NCAA Tournament semifinal run.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/021618aaa.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT