ADVERTISEMENT

Will Betancourt

do we know why Woods wants to leave Stanford? Is it based on $ - why can't he get that there?

I'm not going to feel anything regarding hypotheticals. That's putting the cart before the horse. I suspect Beau would take his redshirt, continue to develop, then challenge whomever is in the room at 141lbs for the starting spot.

If I want to speculate, I'll speculate Beau' RS emerged as the consensus plan. Wrestlers then could've expressed that plan among one another. And knowledge of said plan could reasonably lead to a suitable 141lb transfer into the program.

It sucks but Cael wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't take a kid like Woods if he wanted in. Will Beau be better at 141? Absolutely, I am confident of it but I don't think we can extrapolate an AA finish from him just because he held his own up a weight.

I also believe (and it's my speculation only) that Cael might have been a bit frustrated with Beau later in the year. Not his performance per se but Cael has put on the record he wants Beau opening it up and if he loses because he got caught then it is what it is (said something about losing 10-9) but Beau continued his try to steal it in the 3rd in a 1-1 match thing. Quite honestly, he dodged major bullets against Blockhus and Realbuto also and the only convincing win he really had was over the Sacred Heart kid. Even the Maryland kid was giving him a solid match before Beau pancaked him.

I hope Beau takes the redshirt and stays the course but I'd support him in whatever he chooses obviously.

I don’t know what Woods would mean for Bartlett, whether it’s a redshirt year or transfer, but I feel for the kid. He committed with a fairly clear path that would’ve seen him redshirt in 2020-21 and take over at 141 this past year and the pandemic completely blew that up. Maybe he redshirts and Woods doesn’t take his extra year and everything works out, but it’s a shame to see.
Another way of looking at it is that BB got an extra year out of the Covid deal (while others got shafted big-time), and he still has the opportunity to win the spot he wants over the next 2-3 years. It’s not like he’s a 5th-yr senior who has slowly battled to the cusp only to be left in the cold.

I’m sure he’ll have a fair opportunity to win the spot.

Woods smoke is real and there will be a financial package involved, but the 100K number is laughably untrue.

But they can’t be. Insiders don’t know much. No way Cael would want him. I think that’s the last 3-5 pages , but 2 in the know on 247 said same as you clay and said for a while

It sucks but Cael wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't take a kid like Woods if he wanted in. Will Beau be better at 141? Absolutely, I am confident of it but I don't think we can extrapolate an AA finish from him just because he held his own up a weight.

I also believe (and it's my speculation only) that Cael might have been a bit frustrated with Beau later in the year. Not his performance per se but Cael has put on the record he wants Beau opening it up and if he loses because he got caught then it is what it is (said something about losing 10-9) but Beau continued his try to steal it in the 3rd in a 1-1 match thing. Quite honestly, he dodged major bullets against Blockhus and Realbuto also and the only convincing win he really had was over the Sacred Heart kid. Even the Maryland kid was giving him a solid match before Beau pancaked him.

I hope Beau takes the redshirt and stays the course but I'd support him in whatever he chooses obviously.
I think he was frustrated to , I don’t see what every one here is smoking that BB is a title contender at his natural weight of 141. Shooters attack , no matter the weight , I could be wrong , but going after Woods seems like a no brainer

I don’t know what Woods would mean for Bartlett, whether it’s a redshirt year or transfer, but I feel for the kid. He committed with a fairly clear path that would’ve seen him redshirt in 2020-21 and take over at 141 this past year and the pandemic completely blew that up. Maybe he redshirts and Woods doesn’t take his extra year and everything works out, but it’s a shame to see.
I guess I’d be surprised if he transferred. He can take a redshirt, Work out every day with Nick and perhaps Real, and be ready when called upon.

Isn't Bartlett already eligible for an Olympic shirt?

As a junior world medalist I believe so, yes.
So funny enough about that, he can in theory redshirt for 2 years and not lose any NCAAs ... but I don't think any sane person wants to do that. Beau has mentioned before his long term goals is to be an Attorney actually and Kizhan Clarke did just show you can wrestle while going to Law School (somehow) My guess is he'd rather focus on graduating then see what's next for him. Also I hate saying it but he is VERY good insurance to have for Shayne Van Ness.

So funny enough about that, he can in theory redshirt for 2 years and not lose any NCAAs ... but I don't think any sane person wants to do that. Beau has mentioned before his long term goals is to be an Attorney actually and Kizhan Clarke did just show you can wrestle while going to Law School (somehow) My guess is he'd rather focus on graduating then see what's next for him. Also I hate saying it but he is VERY good insurance to have for Shayne Van Ness.
Just saying

I am sure Cael tells all incoming now look you have to earn your spot were not gonna just give it to you!

No need to feel bad for Bartlett. He has the opportunity to win the weight.

Exactly. Cael is not going to guarantee anyone a starting spot. Anybody that comes on board can compete for a starting spot, no different than Beau.

I think he was frustrated to , I don’t see what every one here is smoking that BB is a title contender at his natural weight of 141. Shooters attack , no matter the weight , I could be wrong , but going after Woods seems like a no brainer
Exactly. If Woods coming to PSU is Real, then Beau can either win the spot or redshirt. If he redshirts, I hope he wrestles a lot of opens and works on attacking from neutral. The current Beau is going to be in a lot of 50/50 matches at 141 or 149...and they are called 50/50 for a reason. It is tough to win when you are weak from neutral.

Exactly. If Woods coming to PSU is Real, then Beau can either win the spot or redshirt. If he redshirts, I hope he wrestles a lot of opens and works on attacking from neutral. The current Beau is going to be in a lot of 50/50 matches at 141 or 149...and they are called 50/50 for a reason. It is tough to win when you are weak from neutral.
Pun intended? 👍

If he is interested in law that is exactly how much school he needs plus one. Why not get some of it paid for?
Yea, he’s not just hanging out going to frat parties , the kid wants to be a lawyer , no better place than to go to school, what other path is there?

If we do get a transfer like Real Woods, hope he gets here for both semesters so it’s not another second semester only, not enough matches for a seed situation.

I look at it a different way.

BB is able to study at a wonderful University for 2 years running, He gets to train with some of the best wrestlers in the world. He was able to start at PSU for 2 years, so far, and can compete for another 3 years. BB has a good thing going in my eyes.

Has anyone considered that Woods entering the portal might be his way of looking for the best deal for HIM? He may simply be playing quality poker to see what is the best deal he can get from Stanford. I am certain Stanford Wrestling doesn't want to lose him. It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to find out what they are willing to offer to keep him from leaving. If I was the coach at a University who has shown little interest in the value of the wrestling program.....I could very well be inclined to suggest that my guy leverage his situation as best he could. If I was the coach I would tell Stanford....You paid me a Sh$t-ton of money to Upgrade the Wrestling program and that starts with attracting and keeping the best. Woods has been a stellar representative of Stanford in every way. In the current NIL enviornment....we need to make a competitive offer". If it succeeds...it would be a huge message to send to recruits. Cenzo is smart enough to figure that out :). Just a thought.

Last edited:
Man, Cael must really hate Koll, lol. . . .

There may be some animus both ways. I think that before Cael was hired, Koll was interviewed, perhaps offered, and either was about to accept or would have accepted.

And, of course, they are at different ends of the spectrum as far as national duals.

The extra year has been tough on a lot of 2020/2021 recruits. Several had to take a 2nd RS this year because a Senior decided to come back ... Patrick Kennedy would be one. I'm sure Suriano, Micic, Massa, Amine, and Brucki forced a few Wolverines to the bench.

At least Beau was able to get into the line-up the last 2 years and he still has 4 years to compete 3. Like Cael often says, "it's up to him".

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Has anyone considered that Woods entering the portal might be his way of looking for the best deal for HIM? He may simply be playing quality poker to see what is the best deal he can get from Stanford. I am certain Stanford Wrestling doesn't want to lose him. It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to find out what they are willing to offer to keep him from leaving. If I was the coach at a University who has shown little interest in the value of the wrestling program.....I could very well be inclined to suggest that my guy leverage his situation as best he could. If I was the coach I would tell Stanford....You paid me a Sh$t-ton of money to Upgrade the Wrestling program and that starts with attracting and keeping the best. Woods has been a stellar representative of Stanford in every way. In the current NIL enviornment....we need to make a competitive offer". If it succeeds...it would be a huge message to send to recruits. Cenzo is smart enough to figure that out :). Just a thought.
its not about best deal for some kids,they want to win team and individual titles!

No need to feel bad for Bartlett. He has the opportunity to win the weight.
Exactly. Just like there was no reason to feel bad for Beard. He had the opportunity to compete with Max, who ended up being a little bit better. Penn State is the premier program in all of college wrestling. It should both attract and welcome the best talent to fill its lineup. Iron sharpens iron. If you want to be the best, if you want to be a national champion, the place to do it is State College, PA. Compete with your teammates in the room and roll with The NLWC on a daily basis. All under the watchful eye of the best coaches in the business.

Reactions: kevin310
Very interesting scenario. Placing aside for the moment, what this could mean for his wrestling career, anyone who would give up a Stanford free ride & degree needs to take a pause. That one lasts a lifetime.

Real was a kid that I wondered how we missed on him. Tons of potential and with a year in our room, he would definitely be in the conversation as a national champion.

However when we landed Beau I wouldn't have traded the two. Now 2 years into the experiment up at 149, I am not so sure. I definitely saw a much more aggressive and dominant neutral wrestler in high school.

On balance I want to stay on the horse we have in the stable and see what Beau will do down at his natural weight. He is still my guy.

For now I will continue to go to sleep at night, dreaming of less likely scenarios, Vito and Carr.

I still feel the same

ADVERTISEMENT