ADVERTISEMENT

Will Betancourt

if you listened to todays flr about the national dual championship. You can hear the Iowa homer come out in JD. JD wants it to be the only team championship. I wouldnt care if the sanctioned a dual tournament championship. But the NCAA team championship comes from the individuals dual championship and doesn't need to be changed
well they all know PSU already beat the crap out of all the top teams so they think it would be different,they can quit dreaming!!

NIL is legal and we’ve been way slow on the uptake, so it would be good if we’re taking advantage of it. That said, Askren is a proponent of it, so why all of a sudden the shock emoji from him? It’s disingenuous. He wouldn’t post that if the rumor was about Mizzou.

Don’t be fooled - our success drives the Midwest Mafia crazy
Exactly. If this rumor was from any other college he would say nothing.

Reactions: gptakba
SMH ... Cael (PSU) cannot offer NILs.
No shit Cael and PSU can’t offer NIL deals. Don’t take it literal. Caels gonna have the sat though. A bunch of posters from BWI get together and raise $100k to endorse a top ranked wrestler at PSU and you don’t think Cael will have a say. Like i said don’t take it literal

No shit Cael and PSU can’t offer NIL deals. Don’t take it literal. Caels gonna have the sat though. A bunch of posters from BWI get together and raise $100k to endorse a top ranked wrestler at PSU and you don’t think Cael will have a say. Like i said don’t take it literal
Correct. I don't think Cael will have a say.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
NIL sponsors have the main say, assuming the student athlete agrees and there is no conflict with university rules.

My impression of Cael is he wants kids focused on their goals, and he walks his talk.

I don't see any benefit of his involvement in NILs beyond listening to and discussing with an athlete's whether a potential NIL deal would be consistent with acheiving their goals.

If there are specific details about compliance, I feel Cael would prefer to spend his time coaching wrestling. I believe he will look to delegate day-to-day NIL compliance details.

NIL sponsors have the main say, assuming the student athlete agrees and there is no conflict with university rules.

My impression of Cael is he wants kids focused on their goals, and he walks his talk.

I don't see any benefit of his involvement in NILs beyond listening to and discussing with an athlete's whether a potential NIL deal would be consistent with acheiving their goals.

If there are specific details about compliance, I feel Cael would prefer to spend his time coaching wrestling. I believe he will look to delegate day-to-day NIL compliance details.
That’s a terrible take. So again an NIL deal is struck with Mason Parris to get him to wrestle for Penn St. Meanwhile we have Kerk, and you don’t think Cael would have a say in a NIL deal.
if there is not a need for a transfer/recruit at a weight, and some donors/boosters offer a NIL deal that would be dumb on their part. It’s not just Cael/PSU, i would venture out to say most HC are looking out for their team.
If a HC in football knows the #4 Qb recruit fits his system than the #1 qb, that HC is going to make it known that they want #4. To think that HC have no say is asinine

That’s a terrible take. So again an NIL deal is struck with Mason Parris to get him to wrestle for Penn St. Meanwhile we have Kerk, and you don’t think Cael would have a say in a NIL deal.
if there is not a need for a transfer/recruit at a weight, and some donors/boosters offer a NIL deal that would be dumb on their part. It’s not just Cael/PSU, i would venture out to say most HC are looking out for their team.
If a HC in football knows the #4 Qb recruit fits his system than the #1 qb, that HC is going to make it known that they want #4. To think that HC have no say is asinine
It is a very reasonable take.

Cael has the ultimate say in who is a member of the team and who starts. That's all that really matters. NILs cannot be predicated on participation. Those are the rules. Cael strikes me as a rule follower rather than a blatant breaker.

You have not answered the risk vs reward point for Cael's active participation in NIL discussion.

That said, regarding your hyperbole of an example, I don't think either Cael or Greg Kerkvliet would mind Mason Parris joining the team using only NIL $$$. Iron sharpens iron, they often say. Mason could even benefit by being in the room. There are about three times and more wrestlers in the room vs starters.

Last edited:
It is a very reasonable take.

Cael has the ultimate say in who is a member of the team and who starts. That's all that really matters. NILs cannot be predicated on participation. Those are the rules. Cael strikes me as a rule follower rather than a blatant breaker.

You have not answered the risk vs reward point for Cael's active participation in NIL discussion.

That said, regarding your hyperbole of an example, I don't think either Cael or Greg Kerkvliet would mind Mason Parris joining the team using only NIL $$$. Iron sharpens iron, they often say. Mason could even benefit by being in the room. There are about three times and more wrestlers in the room vs starters.
Again bad take, why waste the Parris when the NIL could be given to a weight of need?
The fact you think coaches play by the rules is absolutely asinine and you my friend are dumb lol. Every coach knows what goes on in their program. Even Pitino knew recruits were getting courted by strippers.

There is no risk of Cael getting involved in who is offered NIL because at the end of the day most of it is on the athletes to get those endorsement deals themselves. The reward is a great athlete to fill a hole. There are plenty of loopholes to the NIL.

Again bad take, why waste the Parris when the NIL could be given to a weight of need?
Cael's not spending the money. Georgia fan and Zaxby's big wig gave a much larger NIL to JT Daniels and he didn't contribute to their National Championship. People are free to make decisions with their money, and they make good and bad.

You came up with the hyperbolic NIL with Parris, I didn't. I simply asserted Cael would have little reason to get in the middle if it, and I see no reason he'd reject Mason Parris off hand. As a minimum, he could start Mason against Cassioppi much like he started Cassar against Moore.

I didn't generalize Cael to other coaches. I think he's earned that much.

Huh? What? The party entering the NIL Agreement with a student-athlete cannot offer the athlete a position on the team as part of the agreement. Only Cael Sanderson can offer the student-athlete a position on the team as a "walk-on" or scholarship athlete (and even this is contingent upon the University's Admissions Department granting admission to the student-athlete).

Real Woods officially in Transfer Portal. Rumor to PS could happen .

Pic below. Slavikouski also notable, can't imagine him coming to PSU but he'll be a significant HWT addition to some school.

Huh? What? The party entering the NIL Agreement with a student-athlete cannot offer the athlete a position on the team as part of the agreement. Only Cael Sanderson can offer the student-athlete a position on the team as a "walk-on" or scholarship athlete (and even this is contingent upon the University's Admissions Department granting admission to the student-athlete).
Very great observation captain obvious lol again Cael can’t offer an NIL deal to whoever he wants. He CAN however work with the entity that would pay for a student athletes NIL, so he could get the athlete he wants to start.
Again think about it in the sense that you have the money to offer a student athlete a NIL deal. Are you going to offer a random student athlete or would you potentially get a feel from say the coach and offer someone who is better suited to help the team?

.... He CAN however work with the entity that would pay for a student athletes NIL, ....

To be honest I do not believe this is accurate.

Cael is not a wink and a nod type guy. NIL has to be firewalled from the University, or the NIL could be considered institutional aid and a component of the 9.9.

Maybe and it is a big maybe Cael could say something like " neither the university or I can discuss NIL but if you have an interest go talk to LaVar Arington down on Q Street. He may be able to discuss opportunities in the local area."

Rumor has it that tOSU is playing a little fast and lose combining the two conversations with recruits, but if true, that is absolutely not kosher.

If I know anything about Cael he is ultra, ultra competitive, while at the same time he has more integrity in his little pinky than the rest of the coaches in the big 10 combined. No way in hell is Cael getting in the middle of any NIL deal.

Sorry HR.

Dude, I was there! How many times do I have to tell you that was not Rob Koll you were talking to. It was the same heavy set guy with the Iowa hat and Iowa shirt that was sitting by you for the other sessions.

You are just off your game when you have your 7th Maker's Mark (doubles) in the same session. Just like when you asked me if the 70 year old lady next to the Iowa guy was Scarlett Johansson.
I was talking to Rob Koll in Detroit about Real Woods. He said he was the fastest and most athletic wrestler that he ever coached. I'm probably paraphrasing (it was an open bar) but he said something to the effect that Real could be a World Team member if he really focused on wrestling technique. That sometimes he lacked technique. It was weird how he said it and it seemed like a strange thing to say. I wasn't sure if it was a compliment or the opposite.
Actually I was surprised how much time you spent talking to Rob. I think the only thing you didn't discuss was his pull for admission to Stanford's grad school.

Apparently, you have just joined me as assinine in one poster's eyes, because we are both willfully naiive to not believe Cael will actively participate in violation of NIL rules or look to exploit some vague/unidentified/purported NIL loophole(s).

I am willing to wait to hear back from the poster's fanciful BWI collective after he asks Cael for input on where/how to spend its $100k on NIL. (Maybe I should've posted that last paragraph in the April Fool's thread.)

Cael is not a wink and a nod type guy. NIL has to be firewalled from the University, or the NIL could be considered institutional aid and a component of the 9.9.

Maybe and it is a big maybe Cael could say something like " neither the university or I can discuss NIL but if you have an interest go talk to LaVar Arington down on Q Street. He may be able to discuss opportunities in the local area."

Rumor has it that tOSU is playing a little fast and lose combining the two conversations with recruits, but if true, that is absolutely not kosher.

If I know anything about Cael he is ultra, ultra competitive, while at the same time he has more integrity in his little pinky than the rest of the coaches in the big 10 combined. No way in hell is Cael getting in the middle of any NIL deal.

Sorry HR.
So Cael wouldnt go to DT and have DT funnel in Athletes by working at M2 because of integrity.
As much respect i hate for Cael, he seems like he knows how to also work the system. Not saying working the system is bad or frowned upon, but as a coach you need to utilize advantages you have

So Cael wouldnt go to DT and have DT funnel in Athletes by working at M2 because of integrity.
As much respect i hate for Cael, he seems like he knows how to also work the system. Not saying working the system is bad or frowned upon, but as a coach you need to utilize advantages you have
Working the system is playing inside the rules, and the guys on the staff do not miss much of anything. If anything.

Sorry HR.
Exactomundo... Cael doesn't have to play any games. If the kid wants to come to PSU so be it. But no shannigans necessary. You come to PSU to win. PSU win again next year. do you want to be apart of it?

Pic below. Slavikouski also notable, can't imagine him coming to PSU but he'll be a significant HWT addition to some school.

When someone is "Do not Contact", does that mean he's made a decision? Or, is it just that he doesn't want recruited any longer due to him having his list of possible schools.

I've liked Real Woods since he was a redshirt. He gave Nick Lee a tough match at the Scuffle. (I think it was the Scuffle). I just could never imagine him coming this far East.

When someone is "Do not Contact", does that mean he's made a decision? Or, is it just that he doesn't want recruited any longer due to him having his list of possible schools.

I've liked Real Woods since he was a redshirt. He gave Nick Lee a tough match at the Scuffle. (I think it was the Scuffle). I just could never imagine him coming this far East.
It simply means do not contact them. Maybe they have their own list and want to reach out themselves, maybe they made a decision or maybe they need some time to process it all and they'll take themselves off later but it just means at the moment, they don't want calls/emails from coaches and any contact that is initiated by a coach is a violation I believe.

Max Dean and Nick Suriano were both "No Contact" which means they did the reaching out themselves. In Max's case, he called PSU and said he wants in. In Nick's case, he reached out to schools to see if they would join the bidding war.

Woods smoke is real and there will be a financial package involved, but the 100K number is laughably untrue.
“Laugh”, you say?
seinfeld.gif

I would love to see the text exchange between Cael and Cenzo looks like rn
Coming soon to HR:

"Cael secretly encourages his former wrestlers to take jobs at other programs and work as his mole, subtely steering high quality transfers to Happy Valley."

Give or take 2 additional insults and, at minimum, 3 misspellings.

I don’t know what Woods would mean for Bartlett, whether it’s a redshirt year or transfer, but I feel for the kid. He committed with a fairly clear path that would’ve seen him redshirt in 2020-21 and take over at 141 this past year and the pandemic completely blew that up. Maybe he redshirts and Woods doesn’t take his extra year and everything works out, but it’s a shame to see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT