ADVERTISEMENT

Will Betancourt

Won PIAA states as a senior. Initially was supposed to go to Lock Haven, and then switched to Ohio State. His dad runs LAW wrestling club in Lancaster, PA. Same place the Williams twins from Manheim Township wrestle for. Feldman also attended LAW too.

Any background on this guy? And if 125 does he beat Howard?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Creek Side
Any background on this guy? And if 125 does he beat Howard?
147-13 in high school according to pa-wrestling.com. PIAA Champ; 3x placer. 2020-2021 at Lock Haven; 2021-2022 at Ohio State. 15-6 at 133 according to wrestlestat last year. Wrestled a couple duals: lost by TF to Foley, lost by MD to Ragusin. Another notable match was a SV loss to Dylan Koontz at an open. Hard to see him beating Howard; not a knock on him but Howard was a very high level recruit that went 2-2 at NCAAs with one shoulder a few matches removed from high school.

Welcome Will! We Are!

Last edited:
147-13 in high school according to pa-wrestling.com. PIAA Champ; 3x placer. 2020-2021 at Lock Haven; 2021-2022 at Ohio State. 15-6 at 133 according to wrestlestat last year. Wrestled a couple duals: lost by TF to Foley, lost by MD to Ragusin. Another notable match was a SV loss to Dylan Koontz at an open. Hard to see him beating Howard; not a knock on him but Howard was a very high level recruit that went 2-2 at NCAAs with one shoulder a few matches removed from high school.

Welcome Will! We Are!
Is Howard's shoulder okay? That's the question? Bad shoulders are not good for wrestlers.

Reactions: aworsnup and Ian
Is Howard's shoulder okay? That's the question? Bad shoulders are not good for wrestlers.
Agree. Even if Howard is back fully cleared to practice and compete, it is a good idea to have some insurance there.

The list of guys that had compromised careers due to a shoulder injury is exponentially greater than the list of guys that came back from a severe one without a hiccup.

Welcome Will! We Are!
This is about right. Also: Howard is a 3x world team member and an animal on top.

Immediate reaction was that Betancourt + Evans would be a good competition to (eventually) succeed RBY until Davis takes over, maybe enabling Davis to shirt. But "new weight" kinda squashes that thought.

IDK what the new weight would be. Ohio State tends to have their guys cut harder than PSU (albeit nowhere near as hard as, say, OKST). With him at 133 this year, does he go down ... or go up? Either way, good insurance.

PS:
And the dynasty.
Just.
Got.
Stronger.

the label on the announcement is “willbet125”
... and Tan Tom's handle is Buckeye158. Pretty sure he hasn't been at that weight for a while.

I'm being snarky but really, lots of wrestlers put a weight in their handles, and virtually none bother to change it later. It doesn't mean anything.

Or maybe kyledake444 will someday achieve that goal.

... and Tan Tom's handle is Buckeye158. Pretty sure he hasn't been at that weight for a while.

I'm being snarky but really, lots of wrestlers put a weight in their handles, and virtually none bother to change it later. It doesn't mean anything.

Oh, that's Dake's weight.

It's just being expressed in a cosmic unit of measure that won't be invented for another 836 years.

I noticed that in comments after both of his commitments to Lock Haven and Ohio State that he mentioned faith being important to him. Sounds like he will be a good fit that way and perhaps this is the right environment for him to stick. I don't know anything else about his situation though, so who knows?

I noticed that in comments after both of his commitments to Lock Haven and Ohio State that he mentioned faith being important to him. Sounds like he will be a good fit that way and perhaps this is the right environment for him to stick. I don't know anything else about his situation though, so who knows?
Ryan and his team are known for that too.

No reason to believe Betancourt won't be a good fit at PSU.

But that's likely not the reason for him leaving Columbus -- the more likely reasons are Heinselman, Koontz, Gonzales, and Bouzakis.

Welcome Will! We Are!
Don't mess with BERGEN CATHOLIC! My boy Robbie is not a CIRCUS SIDESHOW!!!

• Haha
Reactions: KidDagger
So the more interesting side note to this is that Pyles hinted at a high level transfer on FRL today. During the show he texted the name to Funky, who clearly was taken aback by the name. No one revealed the name but he is a high level guy. Ben asked if the transfer was to PSU, to which Pyles refused to answer and started being real shifty. So here is the new rumor; Feldman to PSU. Did Mineo post this yet? :eek:LOL.

Reactions: androcles
So the more interesting side note to this is that Pyles hinted at a high level transfer on FRL today. During the show he texted the name to Funky, who clearly was taken aback by the name. No one revealed the name but he is a high level guy. Ben asked if the transfer was to PSU, to which Pyles refused to answer and started being real shifty. So here is the new rumor; Feldman to PSU. Did Mineo post this yet? :eek:LOL.
Ben tried to bait him to say it was David Carr. They started talking about Iowa State afterwards and Askren yelled "NO ... STOP, PLEASE, NOT TO PENN STATE"

Odds on us being trolled: non-zero.

Odds on us being trolled: non-zero.
Considering FLO couldn't even convince the staff to participate in what amounted to a pro-PSU marketing video FLO was producing, I have a hard time believing they have any insight or inside information regarding transfers.

Reactions: baccafarmer
Considering FLO couldn't even convince the staff to participate in what amounted to a pro-PSU marketing video FLO was producing, I have a hard time believing they have any insight or inside information regarding transfers.
Plus it would be completely on brand for Flo to take a publicly known transfer of a potential maybe someday starter, hint at it being high level to stir the pot, then justify label that since he came from Ohio State.

I took it not as PSU-based but rather an athlete being rumored and they kind of ran with the PSU conjecture.

I remember some talk on the tOSU forums that Betancourt could have made 125 last year but went up for a chance to start. He stayed up there all year even after losing the spot but if he's more a natural 125 pounder you can probably expect better results there after a year in a college room.

Reactions: baccafarmer

smalls103 being a perfect example.
Sorry Willie.

You spelled Carr wrong :)

from the PSU side of things yes, but ISU leaks like my old fishing boots.

David Carr loves our guys, that's clear, that doesn't mean he's leaving behind a team that he is clearly the face of and the coaches he clearly has a great relationship with. That's the conclusion everyone wants to draw but anyone who watched how Carr was like with all his ISU teammates who were AA'ing would think anything but he was leaving.

David Carr loves our guys, that's clear, that doesn't mean he's leaving behind a team that he is clearly the face of and the coaches he clearly has a great relationship with. That's the conclusion everyone wants to draw but anyone who watched how Carr was like with all his ISU teammates who were AA'ing would think anything but he was leaving.
and there is the fact his dad was hired as the RTC coach.

Im sure the alumni and Dresser would be pretty upset if he left.

That said I want this rumor to grow all summer to drum up the march to November.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT