ADVERTISEMENT

New "Top Gun" trailer

Now, yes. Then? No. There really is a TOPGUN training facility. After Vietnam, the Navy realized they need such a facility, due to lessons learned there.

Link
The only reason we still have humans in fighter jets is for recruitment (I.e. making the military sexy). Drones could do it all way better as you’d only be limited by the plane’s engineering limits - no need to worry about a damn human blacking out due to high Gs and augering in.

Watched a great doc on this issue - Top Gun and Beyond.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I had an argument with a guy about Sicario. I loved the movie but he was hung up on the extraction scene in Mexico - “why didn’t they just fly helicopters in instead of risking a cartel ambush driving through Juarez.?” Me - because that whole scene with the column of Suburbans and Mexican federales on pickups with 50cals was so much cooler!

No more than 5 minutes later he was raving about the latest episode of Game of Thrones. Me, again, you’re talking about a show with ****ing dragons and walking dead!!!! What the ****
Exactly... they are movies... you have to suspend reality for a bit. In its day, Top Gun was a great movie and people really liked it.. except for Obliviax. At the same time, you have GOT, and Tarrintino movie, Star Wars sequels...etc..

Any movie based off a book.... is modified for coolness on the big screen. I am excited for the next Top Gun... It will be good entertainment...

Reactions: bytir
Short men film well. Bigger head to body ratio. Match up better for closeups with women.

It's rare to have a film or TV star anywhere approaching 6 feet tall.

And the ones who are "tall" are depicted as giants.

LdN
People don’t realize how that head-to-body ratio is so important. Most news anchors always sit a little sideways to minimize shoulder width. Even when you go get a portrait shot the photographer will have you turn a little. Same with group shots of people......best to have everyone turn about 45 degrees.

Another reason for the slightly side shot is minimize any asymmetry in the face. Facial symmetry is very important in determining beauty/attractfulness.

People don’t realize how that head-to-body ratio is so important. Most news anchors always sit a little sideways to minimize shoulder width. Even when you go get a portrait shot the photographer will have you turn a little. Same with group shots of people......best to have everyone turn about 45 degrees.

Another reason for the slightly side shot is minimize any asymmetry in the face. Facial symmetry is very important in determining beauty/attractfulness.
Plus no need for various life support system, seat and ejection, wind screen, hand controls, visual systems/dash displays.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Exactly... they are movies... you have to suspend reality for a bit. In its day, Top Gun was a great movie and people really liked it.. except for Obliviax. At the same time, you have GOT, and Tarrintino movie, Star Wars sequels...etc..

Any movie based off a book.... is modified for coolness on the big screen. I am excited for the next Top Gun... It will be good entertainment...
it is an interesting point. where does one suspend reality and when does it go too far? I guess everyone is different. If the movie is futuristic or scifi, I am more willing to go along. I am OK with Bruce Willis getting the snot kicked out of him with a led pipe, to a point. But if a movie is trying to suggest it is true, my scale is very limited. A pet peeve is a 110lb gal beating up a fit 240, 6-3 dude. I don't care if she has 50 black belts, ain't gonna happen.

I've been watching The Staircase on HBOMax. It is based on a documentary about a real murder in 2001. The documentary company sold the rights. Now they are demanding HBO label it as "inspired" not "based" on a true story. Just depends on what you want to believe, I guess. I keep wondering how the family on Ozark isn't arrested!

right...tons of hollywood stars are short and have been throughout.

Worst scene in the movie is where Ice confronts Maverick in the locker room. Ice calks Maverick dangerous and then takes a hard bit after Maverick’s response. Second worst scene is volleyball ball game. Ugh! But the all flight scenes with F-14’s makes it a must watch movie. I hear the new move used some great camera work in cockpits and on planes. This is a must see in the movie theater. Thought about going to see it at IMAX. Think it would be as real as it gets.
Are you fuking kidding me! That was one of the greatest scenes in the movie! He was biting out "ICCCCEEEE" classic. My sister and I still that to each other when we are playing a game and are winning! Right up there when Slider asks Goose whose butt he kissed to get into Top Gun and Goose replies "The list is long and distinguished!" and Slider replies "So is my Johnson!" LOL!!! Never gets old!!

I had an argument with a guy about Sicario. I loved the movie but he was hung up on the extraction scene in Mexico - “why didn’t they just fly helicopters in instead of risking a cartel ambush driving through Juarez.?” Me - because that whole scene with the column of Suburbans and Mexican federales on pickups with 50cals was so much cooler!

No more than 5 minutes later he was raving about the latest episode of Game of Thrones. Me, again, you’re talking about a show with ****ing dragons and walking dead!!!! What the ****
That drive through Juarez is one of my favorite movie scenes!! Come on. Watch this scene and tell me you don't get a little chubby!!!

Cheesy movie or not (and it’s way cheesy) we’ve gone 3 pages and haven’t mentioned the single best part - it featured Meg Ryan at near her peak. What a babe - then she ruined it with plastic surgery

1478867649-6743267_std.jpg

3_Meg-Ryan-2002x3007.jpg

Reactions: bytir
Cheesy movie or not (and it’s way cheesy) we’ve gone 3 pages and haven’t mentioned the single best part - it featured Meg Ryan at near her peak. What a babe - then she ruined it with plastic surgery

Meg Ryan is a damn shame... She was a smoke and wrecked herself... and Charlie went downhill and went to the other team... so much gone wrong....

Never speak ill of mid-80's Arnold. He was at the peak of his powers. Starting in 1982 you had Conan I & II, Terminator, Red Sonja, Commando, Raw Deal, Predator and The Running Man ending in 1987.

Say what you want about the movies but that is a pretty decent 5 year run.
He had way more movies than that. True lies? That was an awesome movie.

He had way more movies than that. True lies? That was an awesome movie.
I recognize there are more but I was just referencing him at what I consider the peak of his powers. After 1987 he started doing things like Twins, Kindergarten Cop, and Junior sprinkled in with T2, Total Recall, and True Lies. I like my Arnold to be the an invincible force.

Do you want this:
R.a5694da763229ce43f90550f631aed4d

Or this:
R.d1881dfaa03d714b7214480ea875c7fe

He showed greater range in the 90's but for me it is mid to late 80's.

Pretty interesting story regarding China’s influence, or lack of, for the movie. There was controversy when a large Chinese investor, Tencent, made the producers remove the Taiwanese flag from maverick’s iconic leather flight jacket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT