ADVERTISEMENT

New "Top Gun" trailer

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
I watched the old movie and it may be the most cringe-worthy movie of all time. It's actually kind of hard to watch. But, the flight effects are pretty cool. This looks doable, to be honest, and would seem to be a movie that would be best seen in a big theater with world-class sound.

I watched the old movie and it may be the most cringe-worthy movie of all time. It's actually kind of hard to watch. But, the flight effects are pretty cool. This looks doable, to be honest, and would seem to be a movie that would be best seen in a big theater with world-class sound.

Are you criticizing Top Gun?
Cringe-worthy? That's like a tic-tok ;) saying.

saw a youtube video that said they had some really high tech camera stuff in the cock-pits to provide some first of it's kind real life looks and feels as to what it is like to be a fighter pilot. so sounds like the effects might be somewhat groundbreaking in some respects.

C'mon the first one was not that bad. This looks decent. Good idea for a movie that should make a lot of money.

C'mon the first one was not that bad. This looks decent. Good idea for a movie that should make a lot of money.
OMG, watch

• the bar pickup scene when they sing (horribly) the righteous brothers you've lost that lovin' feelin'
  • the famous volleyball scene
  • how the officer tells Cruise classified information about his father dying in the line of service
  • the bromance between "Ice" and "Maverick"
  • how awful of a person Maverick is

Was watching it the other day and something I picked up on that I can’t shake now is how during all flight scenes they say everything twice. “Maverick ON THE RIGHT ON THE RIGHT!” “BREAK LEFT BREAK LEFT” “I’M HIT I’M HIT”

It’s like the dirty hands of the claymation Santa and Rudolph movies. It’s all I see!

That being said I do love the Top Gun.

Was watching it the other day and something I picked up on that I can’t shake now is how during all flight scenes they say everything twice. “Maverick ON THE RIGHT ON THE RIGHT!” “BREAK LEFT BREAK LEFT” “I’M HIT I’M HIT”

It’s like the dirty hands of the claymation Santa and Rudolph movies. It’s all I see!

That being said I do love the Top Gun.
Nice post, NICE POST!

top-gun-tom-cruise.gif

OMG, watch

• the bar pickup scene when they sing (horribly) the righteous brothers you've lost that lovin' feelin'
  • how the officer tells Cruise classified information about his father dying in the line of service
he goes to a chic's house for a first date a smelly mess and asks to take a shower. I mean come, that is Grade A man card stuff there.

One of my fraternity brothers always laughs at Top Gun about how unrealistic the dog fighting scenes are. He was a F15 Eagle driver in the USAF. he said them showing the Tom Cats rotating on their long axis is dumb. If being pursued you need to turn. What they show would result in the enemy plane continuing to shoot the F14 as it is not removing itself.

Reactions: Obliviax

Would rather watch the WWII series about the 8th Airforce B17s that was supposed to be made as a follow up to band of brothers but was never made.

Would rather watch the WWII series about the 8th Airforce B17s that was supposed to be made as a follow up to band of brothers but was never made.
Looks like it was paused but is back in production, according to wiki:

In February 2021, it was reported that production in Britain had begun, at Dalton Barracks in Oxfordshire, England.[19] Retrospective temporary 12 month planning permission has been applied for at Newland Park, Chalfont St Peter, following the construction of a WWII barracks on the site.[20] Filming paused briefly in July due to positive COVID-19 tests.[21] Production also occurred in Hemel Hempstead.[22]

Reactions: SR108
saw a youtube video that said they had some really high tech camera stuff in the cock-pits to provide some first of it's kind real life looks and feels as to what it is like to be a fighter pilot. so sounds like the effects might be somewhat groundbreaking in some respects.
Folks in my department helped review and clear all of the in-cockpit camera equipment to ensure it didn’t create any airworthiness or safety of flight concerns.

Looks like it was paused but is back in production, according to wiki:

In February 2021, it was reported that production in Britain had begun, at Dalton Barracks in Oxfordshire, England.[19] Retrospective temporary 12 month planning permission has been applied for at Newland Park, Chalfont St Peter, following the construction of a WWII barracks on the site.[20] Filming paused briefly in July due to positive COVID-19 tests.[21] Production also occurred in Hemel Hempstead.[22]

I'd like to see something about the 15th Air Force--they got a lot of tough jobs (like Ploesti), but a lot less of the publicity.

I can't believe the criticism of Top Gun, people must really be jaded. It was a very entertaining and popular movie.
I 100% agree.... Everyone craps on Top Gun.... when it came out 30 yrs ago... it was cool... Everyone wants to pick it apart.... Its a ****ing movie... a cool one at that.... Yes the flying is unrealistic. So what... its still cool. People lost their shit over Game of Thrones... it had dragons and witches and giants in it...or Lord of the Rings... Goblins and Elves.... People are so critical of everything.. It is a movie for entertainment. The best is Star Wars... people unload on the original.. but in 1977 when that Death Destroyer flies in the opening scene... it was the coolest shit ever and no one had ever observed it on screen.... the story is great.... fast forward 40 years and all people can do it shit on the movie... the writing...how bad it is... I dont see any of the dicks here making a movie... they are posting about the flight capabilities of an airplane in a movie and how it is impossible to occur.

I can't believe the criticism of Top Gun, people must really be jaded. It was a very entertaining and popular movie.

Agreed.
Television and film today is pretty awfu.
If you think about the shows people like it's no wonder people are so unhappy.
Top Gun was an excellent movie for it's day. Had massive success. Cemented the careers of 4 or 5 now famous stars.

LdN

Reactions: Hotshoe and KCLion
I 100% agree.... Everyone craps on Top Gun.... when it came out 30 yrs ago... it was cool... Everyone wants to pick it apart.... Its a ****ing movie... a cool one at that.... Yes the flying is unrealistic. So what... its still cool. People lost their shit over Game of Thrones... it had dragons and witches and giants in it...or Lord of the Rings... Goblins and Elves.... People are so critical of everything.. It is a movie for entertainment. The best is Star Wars... people unload on the original.. but in 1977 when that Death Destroyer flies in the opening scene... it was the coolest shit ever and no one had ever observed it on screen.... the story is great.... fast forward 40 years and all people can do it shit on the movie... the writing...how bad it is... I dont see any of the dicks here making a movie... they are posting about the flight capabilities of an airplane in a movie and how it is impossible to occur.
I've got no problem with the jets and how they were flown. And I loved the movie when it came out. But the scenes and acting had me cringing. Toxic masculinity! A lot of the setups were just unrealistic. Dude is out of control, suddenly ends up on a carrier in a battle the day after top gun training. he downs, what, five russian MIGs, and then buzzes the tower after being instructed not to, and finally is offered any post in the world. Yet, it is all classified and will never be talked about again. Ouch.

I've got no problem with the jets and how they were flown. And I loved the movie when it came out. But the scenes and acting had me cringing. Toxic masculinity! A lot of the setups were just unrealistic. Dude is out of control, suddenly ends up on a carrier in a battle the day after top gun training. he downs, what, five russian MIGs, and then buzzes the tower after being instructed not to, and finally is offered any post in the world. Yet, it is all classified and will never be talked about again. Ouch.
if you dig into a lot of movies the plot holes are typically numerous. reality is if they made a movie about real fighter jet dog fighting it would be pretty boring as I think mostly looking at longer range radar and firing missiles from miles away.

Maverick was a legend for that tower buzz.

Saved Iceman's ass

LdN

Reactions: NedFromYork

You mean the same trailers that we have been watching for two years now? Could care less at this point.

Little Women might be a good movie for you....

OMG, watch

Dude- what do you expect. At best, Top Gun is a chick flick. At worst, it’s homo erotic cinema that should carry the LBGQT seal of approval.

I opened up this thread, saw the picture of Tom Cruise on a motorcycle, saw the words "Top Gun Maverick: New Official Trailer," and promptly exited the thread without watching it.

I'm guessing the trailer would somehow manage to induce amusement and nausea at the same time. Not ready for that right now.

Dude- what do you expect. At best, Top Gun is a chick flick. At worst, it’s homo erotic cinema that should carry the LBGQT seal of approval.
hey, I just had a guy recommend "little women". You guys are all over the place on this.

d073cac6-c1ff-40ec-8a6d-6217d6a09db4_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: republion

You are so woke!

if you dig into a lot of movies the plot holes are typically numerous. reality is if they made a movie about real fighter jet dog fighting it would be pretty boring as I think mostly looking at longer range radar and firing missiles from miles away.
Thought the same when I saw it when it came out. Modern ‘dog fights’ are from 10-50 miles away. They never see each other.

Yes it is cheezy but definitely entertaining. That is why this sequel will draw a lot of interest and probably do well.

I opened up this thread, saw the picture of Tom Cruise on a motorcycle, saw the words "Top Gun Maverick: New Official Trailer," and promptly exited the thread without watching it.

I'm guessing the trailer would somehow manage to induce amusement and nausea at the same time. Not ready for that right now.
Hey Lafayette, so glad you could come back long enough to voice your displeasure! 😉

Thoughtthe same when I saw it when it came out. Modern ‘dog fights’ are from 10-50 miles away. They never see each other.
Wait. What? They wouldn’t take $30m fighter jets and fight then like a they were a Nieuport 11 and a Fokker DVII?

images

828bb8bf935e2d8fa1e9eb0478e54530--iron-men-aviation-art.jpg

Thought the same when I saw it when it came out. Modern ‘dog fights’ are from 10-50 miles away. They never see each other.
Now, yes. Then? No. There really is a TOPGUN training facility. After Vietnam, the Navy realized they need such a facility, due to lessons learned there.

Link

Imagine watching a movie you deem cringy.

then imagine considering watching the sequel. 🤦🏻‍♂️
it's a good point. But I also watched 16 candles, which I very much enjoyed years ago. I had my 16 year old daughter watch it with me on family movie night. One of the original scenes is a couple of girls making fun of another girl for dating the black guys. I turned it off. Recently I’ve read some scathing attacks on the producer and Director for the racist views

so while there are some things that make you cringe, there are also things that are highly entertaining. Nothing is ever perfect and things change

Reactions: tlbakernc
ADVERTISEMENT