ADVERTISEMENT

New Site Ownership and Privacy Policy?

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
I post both here and on the Cal Rivals board. This morning, when I was logging onto the Cal Rivals Board, I was presented with a screen that noted Rivals is now owned by an outfit called Oath, which apparently also owns Yahoo and a few other Internet related companies.

The screen presented some highlights concerning Oath's Privacy Policy, and I scanned it for a minute or so. It appears that Oath wants to reserve the right to use and aggregate any data that users put on this Board, and also to sell it to third parties. That seems very much like the kind of activity that is prompting Facebook to get so much criticism. I was offered the opportunity of either accepting the Oath Privacy Policy now, or deferring it until later. I chose Option Two.

I have not seen that same screen while logging on here this morning, but I imagine it will be showing up here pretty soon. I scrolled to the bottom of the McAndrew Board page, clicked on Privacy Policy, and sure enough, the Oath Privacy Policy is what appeared.

The Oath Privacy Policy contains this nugget:

"Information Sharing & Disclosure Practices
  • Comments you make in the Media Services are public and may include your name, nickname, avatar, image and/or contact information associated with your account. These comments may also be surfaced to other users."
If posts on this Board constitute "comments in the Media Services," then it appears that every poster's name and contact information are deemed "public information" that may be "surfaced to others."

I'm curious as to what others here may think about this.

No. Rivals was owned by Yahoo. Verizon bought Yahoo and merged it into AOL, forming a new company called Oath.

Given recent events, I doubt that these folks will disclose anything more than what appears now unless Verizon wants to see its investment in Yahoo become worthless faster than it otherwise will.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you provide your name when you sign up for a free account.

No. Rivals was owned by Yahoo. Verizon bought Yahoo and merged it into AOL, forming a new company called Oath.

Given recent events, I doubt that these folks will disclose anything more than what appears now unless Verizon wants to see its investment in Yahoo become worthless faster than it otherwise will.

Name the movie...

frequency-yahoo.jpg

I enjoy your posts and typically yield but if you don't think they are going to sell that information (even after Facebook), well....

forsale3.png

I enjoy your posts and typically yield but if you don't think they are going to sell that information (even after Facebook), well....

forsale3.png

Perhaps. They can sell my information for what it's worth.

Perhaps. They can sell my information for what it's worth.
on that we can agree....but posters have matched up posters on this site because they use the same "name" on twitter, reddit, snapchat or whatever. it won't take much of a program to go search social media for the name 'obliviax' or Underscore_Tom to figure out who is who.

Hackers hack into simple sites where people aren't worried about their password...then the hacks know that people reuse their password. Then they get into their investment accounts.

But I do agree, "art" is rather safe. But if your name is IllinoisLion and you use it on five social media sites, they now your name, age, political affiliations, etc.

Another Rivals board I post on just became a 247 board a couple of days ago. Seems to be some movement/changes in ownership of some of the boards.

on that we can agree....but posters have matched up posters on this site because they use the same "name" on twitter, reddit, snapchat or whatever. it won't take much of a program to go search social media for the name 'obliviax' or Underscore_Tom to figure out who is who.

Hackers hack into simple sites where people aren't worried about their password...then the hacks know that people reuse their password. Then they get into their investment accounts.

But I do agree, "art" is rather safe. But if your name is IllinoisLion and you use it on five social media sites, they now your name, age, political affiliations, etc.

A smart algorithm will collect all the posts we make though, and make some links there.

I'm not someone who "creeps" on people. But, for instance, I know you've talked about where you live and what airline you fly quite a bit. For better or worse, I've "revealed" more than that. There's value in all that for someone who wants to "link" you to your real-life persona.

With the number of data leaks and "hacks" over the last few years impacting hundreds of millions of Americans all our data has already been stolen multiple times over.

Since someone brought up facebook - if you'd like to see some of the data they have on you follow these steps.

Settings > account settings > ads > your information > your categories

ADVERTISEMENT