New Retail Sales Number Crushes Expectations

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
As my financial advisor told me yesterday, with all the stimulus money in the economy right now, much of it still unspent, people want to spend money. But supply chain issues will damage that will to buy.

Now if Biden gets his hands on the tax code, that all changes

Reactions: psuted

PSU87

Jun 8, 2001
Florida, where the weather suits my clothes
Love seeing these numbers. Now please explain what grandpa joe has done to make them increase so much??
You have to understand.....to libs:
1. Anything good that happens is thanks to Biden.
2. Anything bad that happens is someone else's fault.

Never mind that the comparison is to last year when the moronic mandated shutdowns were in place. People not allowed to go to work, go to the movies, go to restaurants, or patronize "non essential" businesses.

So the numbers are up. No shit. The numbers were going to be up no matter what. Because now that Biden is Pres, dems won't be pushing for shutdowns. The shutdowns were to make the economy look bad under Trump.

But the cult members will attribute it to Biden's "leadership"

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
As my financial advisor told me yesterday, with all the stimulus money in the economy right now, much of it still unspent, people want to spend money. But supply chain issues will damage that will to buy.

Now if Biden gets his hands on the tax code, that all changes

Yeah it's just awful that people have money to buy stuff. What kind of economy is that ?

psu skp

Nov 7, 2016
50 yard line after dark
Yeah it's just awful that people have money to buy stuff. What kind of economy is that ?
Uh, they didn't get that money by earning it, Sparky. Stimulus money is government (taxpayer) money handed out to people for a period of time. Eventually the money runs out... see how that works?

So, to answer your question: what kind of economy is that? One that doesn't work.

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010

I will believe this was good policy when debt/GDP is flat for an extended period of time (a few years).

All we did was add debt so that people can buy stuff. It's like putting something on your credit card. The bill will get paid over time through inflation. Some of it will be paid by effectively robbing pensions and other fixed income assets.

So people can buy stuff now at the expense of some of the most vulnerable people -- seniors on fixed incomes.

It's a sugar high that, to me, was done to buy votes. Trump did it, and Biden is now driving deficit spending on steroids. It will lead to hyperinflation unless government does the reverse of what it is pushing right now.

I thought you understood economics. ???

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
I will believe this was good policy when debt/GDP is flat for an extended period of time (a few years).

All we did was add debt so that people can buy stuff. It's like putting something on your credit card. The bill will get paid over time through inflation. Some of it will be paid by effectively robbing pensions and other fixed income assets.

So people can buy stuff now at the expense of some of the most vulnerable people -- seniors on fixed incomes.

It's a sugar high that, to me, was done to buy votes. Trump did it, and Biden is now driving deficit spending on steroids. It will lead to hyperinflation unless government does the reverse of what it is pushing right now.

I thought you understood economics. ???

Do you understand the purpose of an economy?

2lion70

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2004
Love seeing these numbers. Now please explain what grandpa joe has done to make them increase so much??
Getting more people vaccinated for starters.
Just hope the worker strikes don't screw the pooch.

Reactions: NJPSU

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Unemployment down
Retail sales up
Stock market up

Love reading posts from the Trump Cultists trying to spin this as bad news. It IS bad news for them, because they see everything through a deep red lens. Scratch that. A deep orange lens.

Reactions: NJPSU

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Unemployment down
Retail sales up
Stock market up

Love reading posts from the Trump Cultists trying to spin this as bad news. It IS bad news for them, because they see everything through a deep red lens. Scratch that. A deep orange lens.
You should see what these Trumpers are saying on YouTube. They are completely hunkered down thinking the world is ending any day now. It’s very entertaining.

Reactions: 2lion70

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018
Unemployment down
Retail sales up
Stock market up

Same thing in the late '60s as inflation was spiking which led to about a 15-year recession. You lefties are amazingly superficial and uninformed. Almost certainly, the same in 1999 and 2007. If inflation does come it will kill the housing market which will be an absolute disaster.

psuted

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2010
Preparing to be deposed in one of the many lawsuits pending against him and his company. Get used to reading that. :cool:

You guys have been saying that forever without any basis or merit. Democrats remind me of Wile E. Coyote constantly falling off a cliff or getting smacked down while in pursuit of the elusive Road Runner (Trump).

But keep trying as it’s more than entertaining.

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
Same thing in the late '60s as inflation was spiking which led to about a 15-year recession. You lefties are amazingly superficial and uninformed. Almost certainly, the same in 1999 and 2007. If inflation does come it will kill the housing market which will be an absolute disaster.

That's right. I've mentioned 1968 many times on this board. If you trend the historical CPI-adjusted S&P it falls dramatically, especially when energy prices are messed with -- similar to 2021, with government hurting supply. You would have been better off with your 401K money in a Stable Value Fund.

But this is different. It is worse, because our debt/GDP, budget imbalance, and trade imbalance are worse. The central bank has no tools to control inflation unless the fiscal side cuts spending. That isn't going to happen. We will continue to print to pay interest. So I see pensions getting wiped out, bond prices falling, and stock prices falling when the price is corrected for inflation. In other words, you won't be able to live on earnings unless you pick just the right stock.

Working people, especially those not getting benefits through the government, will take a big hit on their standard of living. I see a lot of suburban homes gradually deteriorating for lack of maintenance. Cars too. I don't have a clue how the infrastructure for electrification is going to appear while we also stay home on government benefits. Pete, you've made yourself an example for all -- walk out during a crisis.

This is going to be terrible for senior citizens, especially young retirees who think they will live for 30 years on earnings. History does not support this. The earnings will come but they won't buy much of anything.

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Unemployment down
Retail sales up
Stock market up

Unemployment is down because people quit working.

Reactions: Hotshoe

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018
Preparing to be deposed in one of the many lawsuits pending against him and his company. Get used to reading that. :cool:
Jonathan Turley has noted that Joe and Hunter mixed funds and is calling for a special prosecutor. Ought to be really pretty how Joe abused his position and used his son for influence peddling to enrich himself.

Reactions: Hotshoe

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
LOL. That is a dogged face pony solider lie. Biden has no economic plan.
I've never seen anyone eat up more bullsh&t the he does. DNC war room. Lmao. Pure propaganda and nonsense. 10.4 million jobs are empty. That's why unemployment went down. It had reached 11 million, an all time record. Workforce participation is down, but he won't be honest about it. President dumbass is out killing jobs with stupid mandates and shutting down business. He has no economic plan.

Reactions: dailybuck777

tgar

Gold Member
Nov 14, 2001
I've never seen anyone eat up more bullsh&t the he does. DNC war room. Lmao. Pure propaganda and nonsense. 10.4 million jobs are empty. That's why unemployment went down. It had reached 11 million, an all time record. Workforce participation is down, but he won't be honest about it. President dumbass is out killing jobs with stupid mandates and shutting down business. He has no economic plan.
Ummmm, you do know what the plan is administration in and administration out for the past 70 plus years. After all, you read history.

I am curious, do you have kids?

BTW, the announced 16% home value increase for 2022 is an interesting dynamic that certainly makes that aspect of the economy more exclusive than inclusive.

He certainly is president dumbass but aren’t they all? What’s the common theme?

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
Ummmm, you do know what the plan is administration in and administration out for the past 70 plus years. After all, you read history.

I am curious, do you have kids?

BTW, the announced 16% home value increase for 2022 is an interesting dynamic that certainly makes that aspect of the economy more exclusive than inclusive.

He certainly is president dumbass but aren’t they all? What’s the common theme?

What’s the common theme?

They take care of their donors.

franklinman

Apr 5, 2011
Pa and Fl
Significant inflation and supply chain problems crush the average consumer. Thanks Biden/Harris and Congressional Democrats for this cluster fu*k.

Where’s President Trump when you need him?
In Florida, crying his eyes out, where he belongs Ted.

bdgan

May 29, 2008
So that’s an admission that the inflation is all Trump’s fault.
A little bit of it. Trump signed Bill's that gave away a lot of free stuff because that's the only way a democratic congress would support legislation. But the majority is definitely on the democrats.

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
Several things that, I believe, created the inflation:
  • Paying enhanced unemployment benefits that were enough to disincentivize working. I think it was enough for people to extend their vacation past September 1.
  • Closing schools, making it harder for parents to work, so that overall productivity goes down (while the money supply goes up).
  • Forcing business closures while government sends checks to their employees. (Same as closing schools.)
  • Pissing off workers through mask and vaccine mandates, thereby furthering cuts in production with the increase in money supply.
  • Restricting natural gas production, thereby worsening the trade imbalance and driving up the cost of everything produced using energy, including the cost of shipping.
  • Fed behavior, like buying mortgage backed securities in a constrained housing market. Forcing interest rates down, thus increasing demand for big ticket items like homes and cars, while production is artificially constrained.
  • Demonizing police. Allowing crime in the cities, driving people and businesses to safer areas outside cities, thereby creating excess demand outside cities.
  • Ballooning stock valuations through easy money, sending the message that you can make more money by investing rather than working. This also drove people into thinking they could retire, or leave the workforce at a younger age.
I believe these were driven by Democrats in Congress and Democratic governors. Even the Fed behavior is driven by the need to be reconfirmed in Congress, so they are effectively doing the bidding of a Democratic Congress.

All of it will get worse, much worse, if the Dems have their way in Congress, because it just doubles down on the list above that has been creating inflation.

And just wait until all the illegals come to a neighborhood near you, flooding your ERs, with no police, as your costs soar.

It was all created because the media had an agenda. They created the TDS pandemic that threw an election.

Happy times. If you want more, vote Democrat.