ADVERTISEMENT

New practice playing surface

Turf?! :eek: NATURAL. GRASS. :eek:

234,000 lbs. of rubber to fill the surface. How much was put down at iowa last year?

4 million pounds!

KrskKSz.jpg

9zQAMsd.jpg

OMRlvFE.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea. With so many other stadiums having a rubber surface, our guys can benefit from a similar field in order to get a feel for it.

Reactions: anacreon3
We stopped using granulated rubber years ago for playgrounds. It's no less of a mess than the one you were hired to clean up. I've only really designed/sold one football field, and it was obviously filled w/ rubber. My preference would be improved padding underneath, shorter pile height, and sand infill instead of rubber. But I'm not the NFL nor the Synthetic Turf Council.

209,000,023 lbs I believe. It was comical wasn't it? Every time somebody made a cut, it reminded me of the old Peanuts cartoon character "Pig Pen". I've never seen a surface weighed down like that before.

It was ridiculous. Didn't bother Saquon none, though. Didn't bother Trace or Juwan neither.

;)

Reactions: Ranger Dan
We stopped using granulated rubber years ago for playgrounds. It's no less of a mess than the one you were hired to clean up. I've only really designed/sold one football field, and it was obviously filled w/ rubber. My preference would be improved padding underneath, shorter pile height, and sand infill instead of rubber. But I'm not the NFL nor the Synthetic Turf Council.
So what is the epoxy they were liberally applying over concrete at the seams?

So what is the epoxy they were liberally applying over concrete at the seams?
If there is a concrete base it almost becomes an indoor installation in my mind. You glue the seams (not to each other - like in any residential installation) but to the base. You can't trowel glue over that large of an area, and it makes no sense. The sand and rubber holds the turf down so it doesn't wrinkle and the seam/perimeter gluing keeps it from shifting.

My one partner does 50 fields a year, and I want no part of it. The estimating and the bid process is just not something I want to get involved in. Dimes turn into dollars real fast. I'd rather spend my time on Palm Beach and Jupiter Island. When I see someone that needs help, like PSU Golf Management, I will step in and do a cost +20% deal just to make sure it's done right.

Last edited:
If there is a concrete base it almost becomes an indoor installation in my mind. You glue the seams (not to each other - like in any residential installation) but to the base. You can't trowel glue over that large of an area, and it makes no sense. The sand and rubber holds the turf down so it doesn't wrinkle and the seam/perimeter gluing keeps it from shifting.

My one partner does 50 fields a year, and I want no part of it. The estimating and the bid process is just not something I want to get involved in. Dimes turn into dollars real fast. I'd rather spend my time on Palm Beach and Jupiter Island. When I see someone that needs help, like PSU Golf Management, I will step in and do a cost +20% deal just to make sure it's done right.
I still don't understand the installation method. Like you said, they didn't spread out the "glue" (I think they are using some kind of epoxy) so that it was level and uniform.

Something seems amiss to me.

I still don't understand the installation method. Like you said, they didn't spread out the "glue" (I think they are using some kind of epoxy) so that it was level and uniform.

Something seems amiss to me.

I just watched the video - looks like logo work. There's a term called "infill". In my business, it's what holds turf (either putting surface or lawn surface) down - by its weight. It's either sand or rubber, or a combination of the two. Rubber doesn't weigh much, so if you want more rubber, you need more glue to keep the field in place. I won't comment on the work at PSU in this case, because it's intentionally out of my scope and I'm sure someone qualified is doing the installation. I've done a few installations at PSU, but only one directly. The rest were performed by OPP to a degree that I wanted to hire them as installers here in FL.

Last edited:
Has the turf always been synthetic or is this an upgrade?
For a number of years there has been a synthetic turf field on the south end of the Lasch practice fields - I think they have it laid out as one full-sized turf field and two full-sized natural grass fields side by side closer to Holuba.

The old turf was just worn out - Franklin has mentioned the need for new turf every now and then over the past year.

Reactions: PSUPride1 and Bob78
For a number of years there has been a synthetic turf field on the south end of the Lasch practice fields - I think they have it laid out as one full-sized turf field and two full-sized natural grass fields side by side closer to Holuba.

The old turf was just worn out - Franklin has mentioned the need for new turf every now and then over the past year.

Well we got it now. So, good on that then. Now, about that swimming pool and those tennis courts, paging Sandy

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT