ADVERTISEMENT

New Poll about Board Traffic.....

Poll: do you think traffic on the Board is higher, lower or about the same since the changeover?

• Higher

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • Lower

Votes: 163 72.4%
  • About the same

Votes: 48 21.3%

• Total voters
You're still going to have people who hate the change vote lower, and people who love the change vote higher......which likely means traffic is about the same.

You're still going to have people who hate the change vote lower, and people who love the change vote higher......which likely means traffic is about the same.
I don't hate the change. But I voted lower anyway.

I just don't like it as much. I'm not a thread/topic view fanatic, but the entire experience seems much slower to me. It's better than TOS, but that site allows you to switch back to the old format if you choose to do so.

I know that my visits are less frequent and shorter. It seems as though my interest in the board isn't the same since the change. Hopefully, when football season starts my interest will pick up.
Time will tell.

Based on that, nobody likes the change.

I spend a fraction of the time I used to here. I am slow to adapt to the change, and just cannot be bothered to open up every thread to see who said what. My time spent on the boards is less with each passing day. I don't even go to the premium board, so I will be cancelling my subscription.

BTW, there will also be people who sense that it is lower, but because they are a fan of the new format they will vote "about the same." Those biases will always be present. it is not for anything but curiosity, anyway,

BTW, there will also be people who sense that it is lower, but because they are a fan of the new format they will vote "about the same." Those biases will always be present. it is not for anything but curiosity, anyway,

I get what you're saying.....but I don't see how anyone can say traffic is lower.

Yes, there are names absent......but the volume of posts seems relatively consistent, especially for this time of year. Of course it's anecdotal, but I also would wager that those voting "less" are doing so because they don't see certain names.

Regardless, this entire post/poll is pissing in the wind anyway.

I get what you're saying.....but I don't see how anyone can say traffic is lower.

Yes, there are names absent......but the volume of posts seems relatively consistent, especially for this time of year. Of course it's anecdotal, but I also would wager that those voting "less" are doing so because they don't see certain names.

Yeah, I am sure that no for-profit company ever cares about the impressions of their customers when they change their product or service. I sense that if it had jumped in volume, we would have been told already.

I'm not so sure about that. Even though I spend little time over at TOS, since their change that place has changed dramatically, and for the worse. And that is in spite of the fact that you can still use the old format if you want.

I'm not so sure about that. Even though I spend little time over at TOS, since their change that place has changed dramatically, and for the worse. And that is in spite of the fact that you can still use the old format if you want.

It appears that what '04 is saying is that if you do not like the new format you will lie in the poll, but if you do like it, you won't.

It appears that what '04 is saying is that if you do not like the new format you will lie in the poll, but if you do like it, you won't.

Yeah, dem, I'm calling them liars. Either that or I'm saying one's own opinion influences their reality. Come on.

I agree, lionlurker.

I'm cancelling my subscription there this month.

The old format wasn't great, and the new format is even worse. Though it's "optimized" for mobile, there is wayyyyyy too much scrolling to make it useful. Couple that with terrible font.......and I'm done.

We realize you like the new board and will defend it with all you got.

We also realize it is not changing.

But, the traffic is quite obviously lower. That is the part of this that YOU need to accept, and quit arguing about.

In this topic format, we are discussing a topic (sometimes pointlessly) for days. In the old format, that thread simply went of the board.

Additionally, new topics are being posted that get only one or two comments and then go off the board. Some of those topics have seemed interesting, and some of them certainly would have resulted in threads of varying lengths under thread view.

It is what it is. All sides in the matter have aspects of this change that they need to accept.

We realize you like the new board and will defend it with all you got.

We also realize it is not changing.

But, the traffic is quite obviously lower. That is the part of this that YOU need to accept, and quit arguing about.

In this topic format, we are discussing a topic (sometimes pointlessly) for days. In the old format, that thread simply went of the board.

Additionally, new topics are being posted that get only one or two comments and then go off the board. Some of those topics have seemed interesting, and some of them certainly would have resulted in threads of varying lengths under thread view.

It is what it is. All sides in the matter have aspects of this change that they need to accept.

Thanks dad. I'm glad you, the voice of reason, has decided to stay.

I'll probably be cancelling mine come this December. That is my opinion at this time but it may change during the football season. Reading the posts in topic view "in my opinion" is like living in a dysfunctional family.

Reactions: 1 and N&B4PSU
What drives these changes? Is it the need to make these things work on phones?

What drives these changes? Is it the need to make these things work on phones?

Basically, yes.

The percentage of people viewing a given website on a mobile device is increasing drastically.

Previously, websites were designed from the ground up to be desktop-friendly. There will soon be a time when most page views are from a mobile device. Hence, websites are now undergoing redesign from the ground up to be mobile-friendly.

I cannot imagine doing all of my board reading on a phone.

Agreed, but it's not necessarily about phones.

iPads/tablets, phablets, and smaller laptops like Chromebooks all play into it--a lot of websites look like garbage on any smaller than 14-inch screen.

Interested to see if anyone's perspective has changed.
I voted lower because I've been here a lot since the change and I think it clearly is lower. What's worse, some posters I have enjoyed are gone, or post much less often. I was determined to give the new format a fair shot, and I have, but I really don't enjoy it as much. I have been thinking about a serious cut back until the fall, and then coming back to see how it is in football season. I'll give it until the end of May and then decide.

Or all my communication with my thumbs.

It is a PITA to type a message on a phone or tablet, especially if you can type >50wpm on a keyboard. But, I'm mostly at my desk, and still enjoy most aspects of this format on a desktop.

What I find myself doing is reading on my phone, and replying from a desktop if I want to post something long and more thought out. This format excels at mobile viewing, especially how it goes to the first unread post in a thread.

If you want to see something really bad and putrid, check out FOS on mobile (and desktop). All you do is scroll, scroll, scroll.

Clearly lower. For those that used topic view, the change is probably welcome. For those that liked thread view, its a disaster. I liked thread view and feel that there are a couple of light advantages to the new system (alerts, for example). But I hate that good posts are not readily visible and changes in thread direction are almost impossible to follow (and sometimes the tangential topic ends up being more interesting than the original topic). Also, quick hits like snarky witty/snarky replies of messages of condolences lose meaning.
Overall, the differentiator this board had is gone. It is now just like 152,083 boards for general topics and 123 boards specific to PSU.

The Mojo is gone. This used to be the board I checked first in the morning to see what was new in the world as well as PSU. Now, I get around to it after CNN, the local rag, Drudge, and a couple of other sites.

I am concerned that this board is swirling the drain in terms of usability. I certainly will never be what it once was.

I hope you have your seat belt on because you may get "verbally" abused from your comments for not "moving on" peacefully. LOL

Some of them might no longer here or not here as much which would mean traffic is lower.

Even the Jerry obsession thread of 50 pages isn't getting the hits. That's what eventually happens when you allow trolls to take over your site. Mark doesn't get it.

Reactions: Ski
I spend a fraction of the time I used to here. I am slow to adapt to the change, and just cannot be bothered to open up every thread to see who said what. My time spent on the boards is less with each passing day. I don't even go to the premium board, so I will be cancelling my subscription.
I am getting close to cancelling too. I just don't come here nearly as much as I use to. Can I hold out until football season just to see if I like it more?.......I don't know.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT