ADVERTISEMENT

New IRS Tax Scam...beware!

I agree on Lifelock...it is a scam. What lifelock does it create a single place, which makes is a tiny bit easier....but there are tons of those kinds of scams out there. Just watch any infomercial....

It’s a huge pain to put a credit hold with all major credit companies; certainly you can do it, but if you need to continue to function with your credit LifeLock is a decent option.

Reactions: Obliviax
Have to provide a copy of an identity theft report
If you are a victim for their extended ‘fraud alert’ coverage. Not a big deal, but I also do not know what I’m getting with TransUnion’s fraud alert. Can you go into more detail? Looks like you have to register to get more info.

I had to place an alert a few years ago because of a situation. I did the 90-day option entirely online without problems. I then got notice from each of the 3 bureaus when it started and when it ended.

I just looked up the PDF they sent me for an extended fraud alert. It requests a copy of a valid police/LE report, or a USPS alert to allege mail theft.

It also requests a copy of one of these:
SS Card
Pay Stub w/ SSN
W2

And one of these:
Driver's License
Rental Agreement/House Deed
Pay Stub w/ Address

There was also no fee for placing said 90-day alert, and the PDF indicates no fee for the extended alert.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I had to place an alert a few years ago because of a situation. I did the 90-day option entirely online without problems. I then got notice from each of the 3 bureaus when it started and when it ended.

I just looked up the PDF they sent me for an extended fraud alert. It requests a copy of a valid police/LE report, or a USPS alert to allege mail theft.

It also requests a copy of one of these:
SS Card
Pay Stub w/ SSN
W2

And one of these:
Driver's License
Rental Agreement/House Deed
Pay Stub w/ Address

There was also no fee for placing said 90-day alert, and the PDF indicates no fee for the extended alert.

That sounds good. My other reservation is that Equifax was hacked and handled it extremely poorly - so, I have zero trust in 'the big three' credit monitoring agencies.

It’s a huge pain to put a credit hold with all major credit companies; certainly you can do it, but if you need to continue to function with your credit LifeLock is a decent option.
I have one CC... A United Presidential Plus card. When I've had my problems, they cancel the account and overnight me a new card. The biggest problem is having to put that back into amazon, netflix, avis, marriott.........

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Sure, there's no doubt about that.

I just don't have faith in any company handling things well....including LifeLock.
while your at it, take down all personal information on your facebook account. bad guys farm facebook to get personal information that can be used for "challenge questions" like what is your favorite pet and what was your first pet's name.

while your at it, take down all personal information on your facebook account. bad guys farm facebook to get personal information that can be used for "challenge questions" like what is your favorite pet and what was your first pet's name.

Yeah.....some people put their whole life history on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. They're just begging for trouble there.

Good luck to you if you ever have to fix a mistake on your credit report. My wife had a tax lien put on her mistakenly by the state. I got it cleared up with the state but then found it on her credit report but I forget which of the big three...but it was only on one. I submitted a ton of information to them, explaining fully what happened. A few months after that I get a letter from them with this:

We concluded our investigation.

Period, that was it. They would not even hint at what their conclusion was. They wanted me to pay them money to if it was still on the credit report.

Last time I checked my credit report, they had a wrong address for me as a prior address. It was my current address but two of the numbers were swapped. I contacted them to change it. They could not tell me when I supposedly lived at this other address but wanted me to provide documentation that I never lived there. I said that I cannot prove a negative. I got frustrated and just gave up.

This is an offshoot of the Craigslist scam where a 'buyer' sends you a check for more than the amount and asks you to wire the difference back...and then the original check is bogus. Some a-hole tried that on me and I had some fun with them.
Happened to me too, how fing stupid do they think people are - I will say the certified check was well done but when you are getting something for nothing beware.

Reactions: MAJoePa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT