ADVERTISEMENT

New Hoops commit

Very intriguing prospect...scored 16 in an exhibition against Oak Hill a few weeks ago, and was called by one scout the best Russian player of his generation. But seems like the US scouting services haven't picked up on him yet.

https://pennstatehoops.com/welcome-daniil-kasatkin/

6’ 7” point guard from Russia, prepping in Virginia. Eurohoops said he is best Russian player in his generation... not sure if this is to hedge in case the 7 footer from Arizona doesn’t sign his LOI, if he is walking on, or if there will be a senior transfer for the 2018 season.
Almost no chance that he'd be a walk-on. I'd think Pat is covering his bases, and if we do end up with one too many in April, he'll have one of his "carefrontations".

Here are Players to Watch

6’8” 2018 Daniil Kasatkin
An import from Russia, Kasatkin has a huge basketball IQ. Like a typically Eurpean player, he is great with the ball in his hands making reads or playing off the ball. He has deft touch and is a big time passer. Top European scout stated, “Top Russian PG and arguably the Top Russian player of his generation.”

6’9” 2019 Oscar Tshiewbe
If there is one way to describe Tshiewbe’s game it is raw power. He is the type who rebounds, blocks, and tries to dunk everything. The French speaking Tshiewbe has only been in the US for less than a year, but his game translated right away. 247Sports has him ranked in its Top 35 nationally, watch for the offer list and ranking to climb.

Tsheiwbe Claimed Offers: West Virginia

6’11” 2018 Florent Thamba
If there is one player who is full of potential, it is Thamba. In fact, when it comes to natural ability, there may not be anyone on the East Coast whose upside is higher. He has great size, incredible length, touch, and runs the floor like a wing. He gets better each time out. When the light comes on, watch out!

It sounds like a package deal with his two teammates would work out well for Penn State...

I think Zem will get his degree and move on so this kid takes his spot.

Hoops, Isn’t there a connection between Tshiewbe and Bolton? Both out of Richmond and AAU, I think. He’d look great in 2019.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Here is more info about Daniil from Phenom Hoop Report:

6’7” junior Daniil Kasatkin, a native of Russian is the point guard for the team. At first look, he doesn’t rate on the “look test” but at the end of the game, the true basketball heads see a player who dictates the pace of play and makes everyone around him better. Stuck in a box, he is not the most fleet of foot, Kasatkin plays angles very well on defense.

On offense he is best on the ball. Kasatkin displays expert vision, as he runs a team and understands how to create proper angles to deliver passes, on time. Kasatkin is able to post up smaller guards and has deep, consistent, range that goes well beyond the arc. He was a standout winning game MVP of a Mountain Mission game at Phenom’s National Showcase.

Link to page discussing Mountain Mission

Hoping this guy isn't DZ x 2, but that's what it's reminding me of. I'm willing to wait and see though, give the kid a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT