ADVERTISEMENT

New Faces you should remember

James P. Whitters III

Jun 1, 2007
Every year there are a few young guys that cement themselves into the conversation for high AA status the following year. Who do you see as guys that will perhaps be viewed more highly after the BIG and NCAA in relation to how they are currently rated/viewed.
125- Robert Howard is fairly obvious as a guy who can really improve his ranking, but most wrestling people have expected that and see his current ranking as a lack of opportunity rather than a lack of skill/results.

133- I like Lucas Bird more every time I watch him compete. He understands position and attacks at a high rate.

141- Polanco from team Jammenz has potential, but hard to see a Minn. guy wrestle above seed.

149- Beau Bartlett is obvious, but yet another Minn. guy is wrestling much better as the season goes. Michael Blockus.

157- I love this kid Chase Saldate of MSU. He can ride and get away underneath. Sneaky good for this age.

165- Mizzu guy so not BIG but wow Keegan O'tool is the real deal.

174- Going Big 12 here with Lance Runyon.

184- Parker Keckeisen UNI would have been my guy, but the ranking services noticed him way too soon. Stud with a motor and all of the tools. Hate to guy with a Rutgers guy but someone has to power that top 10 train. John Poznanski

197- Beard. He doesn't get a ton of love for being as good as he is this year. He solved the gas problems.

285- Kerk is on ever radar so I can't really count him as a sneaky young guy. He is in every 285 discussion no matter the ranking. Wyatt Hendrickson from USAFA is better than advertised.

125: Sam Latona (VATECH), undefeated with a win over Camacho.
Robbie Howard (PSU), late to the party, so under the radar.

133: Dylan Ragusin (MICH), talented wrestler, moved up a weight when Micic couldn't go, must settle into his new weight.

165: Andrew Sparks (MINN), good wins over Robb and Tucker, only loss to Marinelli.
Joe Lee (PSU), has been up and down a bit, not unusual for a young wrestler, but talented so can he put it all together in the post-season?

184: Agree with Keckeisen (UNI).
Carter Starocci (PSU), sky's the limit.

197: Michael Beard (PSU), another late start for a Lion, will surprise anyone looking at his ranking or seed.
AJ Ferrari (OKST), good wins vs Woodley and Moore, only loss to Noah Adams by 1.

Last edited:

133: Dylan Ragusin (MICH), talented wrestler, moved up a weight when Micic couldn't go, must settle into his new weight.

165: Andrew Sparks (MINN), good wins over Robb and Tucker, only loss to Marinelli.
Joe Lee (PSU), has been up and down a bit, not unusual for a young wrestler, but talented so can he put it all together in the post-season.

197: Michael Beard (PSU), another late start for a Lion, will surprise anyone looking at his ranking or seed.
AJ Ferrari (OKST), good wins vs Woodley and Moore, only loss to Noah Adams by 1.
Ragusin has got to be pretty solid. With Micic out i figured Silva would be filling the 133 pound slot. Obviously Ragusin at 133 and Medley at 125 is seen as a better front end of the lineup than one of the two at 125 and Silva at 133.

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised Ragusin is going 133. He strikes me as a kid who could finish as high as 2nd at Big Tens and top half of the podium at NCAAs. He could miss AA all together at 133,

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Ragusin has got to be pretty. With Micic out i figured Silva would be filling the 133 pound slot. Obviously Ragusin at 133 and Medley at 125 is seen as a better front end of the lineup than one of the two at 125 and Silva at 133.
I don't think Silva is with the program anymore.

I still like Isaac Trumble (NC St 197). On wrestlestat, he's ranked #10 but still not even listed as their starter.
Look for Reenan to wrestle and not Trumble. Sorry missed the earlier post. Reenan hit a big move in the first period.

I know this isn't quite the question-- he's a SR -- but Ethan Laird (Rider) moved up to HWT this year and is a strong podium contender: 10th in the new coaches poll, beat Jordan Wood, scoring a lot of points.

Can't imagine anybody saw this coming. Not a big name recruit. Decent but unremarkable college career so far. Last year was the 16 seed at 197.

I know this isn't quite the question-- he's a SR -- but Ethan Laird (Rider) moved up to HWT this year and is a strong podium contender: 10th in the new coaches poll, beat Jordan Wood, scoring a lot of points.

Can't imagine anybody saw this coming. Not a big name recruit. Decent but unremarkable college career so far. Last year was the 16 seed at 197.
Beat Beard last year, so he must be pretty good ;). Learned a long time ago that going up a weight class oftentimes works out well for a wrestler. I would think 197 to 285 would be an exception, but can think of two (off the top) for which it worked out VERY WELL.

Beat Beard last year, so he must be pretty good ;). Learned a long time ago that going up a weight class oftentimes works out well for a wrestler. I would think 197 to 285 would be an exception, but can think of two (off the top) for which it worked out VERY WELL.
Snyder and Cassar, obviously.

Kasper, Bulk Job, Gelogaev, AJ ... a shame we didn't get to see Hokit at nationals last year.

IIRC Stolfi began at 197, moved up to HWT and led the NCAA in pins.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Snyder and Cassar, obviously.

Kasper, Bulk Job, Gelogaev, AJ ... a shame we didn't get to see Hokit at nationals last year.

IIRC Stolfi began at 197, moved up to HWT and led the NCAA in pins.
Oops, didn't include Cassar! I'll blame my age. The other I was referring to is Kerry McCoy. Others have had heavyweight success, though for these three (Cassar, McCoy, Snyder) it was extraordinary.

Reactions: hlstone
From a team perspective, Missouri has a few "new faces." Missouri entered the season with one guy that had AA'd in the past (Mauller) and not a lot of buzz. Heading into postseason, Willie projects them to have 5 AAs (Hart, Mauller, O'Toole, Mocco, Kent), three others losing in the blood round (Schmitt, R. Elam, Z. Elam), and another losing R16 cons (Jacques). Their 125lber (Connor Brown) was projected R16 as well, but got hurt. No projected finalists, but a solid team.

Everytime I see Braxton Amos I see a 197 top 4 guy next year. He is scary strong and scarry good.

Last edited:
From a team perspective, Missouri has a few "new faces." Missouri entered the season with one guy that had AA'd in the past (Mauller) and not a lot of buzz. Heading into postseason, Willie projects them to have 5 AAs (Hart, Mauller, O'Toole, Mocco, Kent), three others losing in the blood round (Schmitt, R. Elam, Z. Elam), and another losing R16 cons (Jacques). Their 125lber (Connor Brown) was projected R16 as well, but got hurt. No projected finalists, but a solid team.

I will not be surprised if the Mizzu 149 wins the whole thing.

Roar beat me to it with Sparks.

Andrew Cerniglia, Navy FR 157.
Cerniglia got beat 9-4 today in the EIWA quarters against Fisher from Bucknell. EIWA has 5 allocated for 157 so he has some work to do to punch his ticket to nationals or rest his fate on an at large.

Have to love tournament time!

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone and danoftw

Joe Lee (PSU), has been up and down a bit, not unusual for a young wrestler, but talented so can he put it all together in the post-season?

Sparks has been fun to watch this season....

Reactions: Creek Side
Roar beat me to it with Sparks.

Andrew Cerniglia, Navy FR 157.
I agree with Andrew selection. He is really fundamentally solid. I thought he would do well in college. No redshirt year at the Academy, you get thrown into battle from the start.

Reactions: Fatmarc
ADVERTISEMENT