ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix Documentary "Team Foxcatcher"

Brian LB-U

May 29, 2001
Anybody else watch "Team Foxcatcher" on Netflix? I thought it was excellent. Much better than the 30 for 30 special and the movie. The only thing odd was the complete omission of Mark Schultz from the documentary. But overall the real life footage and interviews (Dave Schultz, his family, Du Pont, the team members, etc) easily surpasses anything previously released IMO. Well worth your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: mn78psu83
Thanks for the review.... It's in my queue, just haven't had the time to check it out.

Nancy and the producers narrowed the scope of Team Foxcatcher to 1989 forward. I found it to be a much more in-depth look at everything that contributed to du Pont’s unstable mental state. The film is systematic in its approach and addresses key issues without trying to dramatize the situation and murder.

A big part of the reason that Mark Schultz made The Prince Of Pennsylvania was because he felt betrayed by the liberties (a completely fictionalized version) Hollywood used to tell the story in Foxcatcher.

In real life, Mark Schultz and Dave Schultz were never at Foxcatcher at the same time. Mark Schultz was just at Foxcatcher about a year, in preparation for the '88 Olympics. He left right after the '88 Olympics. Dave's family didn't arrive until July of 1989.

FYI - a friend of mine who lives in WA has been a close friend with Dan Chaid ever since high school. He said Dan was super PO'd at DuPont after he pulled a gun on him. I think he went after him in court after DuPont murdered Dave Schultz. Dan and Dave were also really close friends - he was really devastated when Schultz was killed.

Someday I'd like to hear Chaid's real version of the events - in other words, the things he did not want to say in front of a camera. I've often wondered if the guys making the documentaries about Foxcatcher have been warned by the DuPont family to avoid certain subjects. They have very deep pockets, and I'm sure they aren't thrilled about all the negative publicity the DuPont name has been getting.

Just watched it. Great documentary. The Videos of the real Du Pont are just plain creepy. Unfortunate that a crazy rich man got away with so much. Sad

I wish they hadn't taken so many liberties in the Hollywood movie...they didn't have to, and it angers me also that they did.

Just watched it. Great documentary. The Videos of the real Du Pont are just plain creepy. Unfortunate that a crazy rich man got away with so much. Sad

What about the video of du Pont on his back patio firing the mini machine pistol? That made the hair on the back of my neck stand up - I wonder who filmed it?? The phone discussions with the police negotiator were pretty disturbing too.

Reactions: WildTurk
What about the video of du Pont on his back patio firing the mini machine pistol? That made the hair on the back of my neck stand up - I wonder who filmed it?? The phone discussions with the police negotiator were pretty disturbing too.
My exact thought also, Brian, about who was filming him shooting the machine pistol. Bizarre....

Watched last night. Well done. Like the movie Spot Light, I will not watch it again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT