ADVERTISEMENT

Nepotism in sports broadcasting

Agree. Who’s next! Costa’s kid? Don Lemon’s kid? Oh.... I guess that won’t happen.

In any employment where it is very difficult to be demonstratably better or worse than other others when you start out.......having a name or being an ex player or former Miss America gets you in....

In the case of Collingsworth....he has a background in sports and his dad has one of the highest visibility jobs in NBC Sports....so the kid gets the job over someone who worked in college radio, and college TV at PSU, Lehigh, Virginia. Same with Golic, Costas.

Reactions: Sharkies
Golic Jr is really "woke"....can't stand how cool he thinks he is. He weaseled his way on to the Mike & Mike and the Golic & Wingo show......

The new Keyson, JWill, and Zubin show is almost unlistenable, but it is better than any day with a Golic.

Well, we did have George Paterno. I loved him in that role.

Yeah, you can't really judge how someone's kid or brother is going to be as a commentator. George was great to listen to. I like Mike Golic announcing football but not his kid. I don't mind the Albert brother. However, in Collingsworth case, since he is such a doucehbag, I would never give his kid a chance.

Reactions: nits74
In any employment where it is very difficult to be demonstratably better or worse than other others when you start out.......having a name or being an ex player or former Miss America gets you in....

In the case of Collingsworth....he has a background in sports and his dad has one of the highest visibility jobs in NBC Sports....so the kid gets the job over someone who worked in college radio, and college TV at PSU, Lehigh, Virginia. Same with Golic, Costas.

So, how many kids does Herbstreit have? 😒

Reactions: PSU Soupy
I saw an interview with a broadcaster and the interviewer asked the broadcaster about what a young journalist should do to break into baseball announcing and the answer was “bat .300”.

similarly someone asked a country singer about what should a young girl do to break into country singing and the answer was “become Miss America”.

Well, we did have George Paterno. I loved him in that role.
Ronnie Crist, from the Harrisburg Patriot, once told a story about going for a ride with George Paterno in State College. Ronnie said that George blew through every stop sign that he a encountered and it scared the crap out of him.

The following week Ronnie said he met with Joe Paterno for an interview. Ronnie interviewed him while Joe was driving due to Joe's busy schedule. Ronnie said that they came to the first intersection without a stop sign and Joe came to a stop. Ronnie asked Joe why he came to a stop when he had the right of way? Joe answered that he was just checking to see if George was coming!:)

Harry Kalas‘ (who is my all time favorite) son Todd is the current Astros TV announcer, he was previously on the Tampa Bay Rays brodcast team

Conversely I am sure that at least a couple people on this board have helped their kids get jobs
While in college I used my connections with a cousin to get a job cleaning floors at a supermarket chain at night. Paid better than most part time jobs. Also, used my influence to get my son a job at a lawn service when he was in high school. Wasn't going to watch him stay in bed until noon as was his preference. Those were the only times I used my networking skills.:)

Reactions: 4IUSox2
The ironic thing about nepotism being a thing in sports broadcasting is that the nature of sports is such that nepotism can't be a thing in sports itself because it is entirely merit based.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
I once had George Steinbrenner place an Olympic Gold Medalist in a job at our firm. My boss put him on my team at a Senior Account Executive level with an $80k salary despite the fact that he had never worked in the industry. Then there was also the fact that he had never graduated from college- he dropped out after 2 years to train for the Games. So Ol George also got him into Columbia where he was doing a duel BA/MBA program at night. This meant that he wasn't available to work when most of us were- and the fact that his clients were in the Midwest and Western time zones didn't help matters. And he was married and his wife wasn't working- so he was pretty much her only social interaction. He was a great guy who remains on my Holiday Card list and we reconnect every so often. As an employee- it was an absolute disaster, and given the politics it was always my burden to pick up the slack. One time I made him come to my kids' Olympic themed 3rd birthday party and bring his Gold Medal and do some work outs with the kids. It was a modern version of washing the bosses' car! About 50% of our spots were hired via connections. It is just the way it is....

The ironic thing about nepotism being a thing in sports broadcasting is that the nature of sports is such that nepotism can't be a thing in sports itself because it is entirely merit based.
For players yes, but there’s a great deal of nepotism in coaching. The list is endless, and just as in life outside of sports some are successful but most aren’t.

I once had George Steinbrenner place an Olympic Gold Medalist in a job at our firm. My boss put him on my team at a Senior Account Executive level with an $80k salary despite the fact that he had never worked in the industry. Then there was also the fact that he had never graduated from college- he dropped out after 2 years to train for the Games. So Ol George also got him into Columbia where he was doing a duel BA/MBA program at night. This meant that he wasn't available to work when most of us were- and the fact that his clients were in the Midwest and Western time zones didn't help matters. And he was married and his wife wasn't working- so he was pretty much her only social interaction. He was a great guy who remains on my Holiday Card list and we reconnect every so often. As an employee- it was an absolute disaster, and given the politics it was always my burden to pick up the slack. One time I made him come to my kids' Olympic themed 3rd birthday party and bring his Gold Medal and do some work outs with the kids. It was a modern version of washing the bosses' car! About 50% of our spots were hired via connections. It is just the way it is....

Yup. Ask George and Jay Paterno.

Golic Jr is really "woke"....can't stand how cool he thinks he is. He weaseled his way on to the Mike & Mike and the Golic & Wingo show......

The new Keyson, JWill, and Zubin show is almost unlistenable, but it is better than any day with a Golic.
Many of them, particularly younger ones, are not listenable because they think they are to cool and hip for everyone.

Herbstreit's kid will replace him on Game Day in 10 years when they are 22.

Thought of Marv Albert when some of the alleged details of the Falwell Jr scandal broke. At the time it was all the rage in NYC...sexual voyeurism/w a dose of self love was called "pulling a Marv" in NYC Urban Dictionary. He has done well to get off the mat...but that is still the first thing that crosses my mind whenever the Albert name is mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT