ADVERTISEMENT

Need your thoughts. Replacing my basement carpet.

OhioLion

Jul 11, 2001
Heart of America, Archbold, OH
Going back to the flooded basement from about 6 weeks ago. The boss and I discussed it, and she prefers carpet. No problem for me.
Question I need input on from the board.
Has anyone purchased carpet from a box store? In particular, Menards.
My wife saw some there while we were shopping for other items and really liked shat was there.
Same quality as your local, smaller carpet dealers?
TIA

OL

Not Menards, but the carpet I just had installed in my basement was from Home Deeps. Its so nice, my contractor wrote down the name of it for his house...

Reactions: OhioLion
Going back to the flooded basement from about 6 weeks ago. The boss and I discussed it, and she prefers carpet. No problem for me.
My wife saw some there while we were shopping for other items and really liked shat was there.
TIA

OL

Get outta there!

Seriously, sorry about the basement.

• Haha
TIA

OL
At the end of the day, just make sure the carpet matches the drapes

We purchased a realistic wood look flooring called “Life Proof” which is supposed to withstand flooding and can be relaid. Got it at Home Depot but Lowe’s has a similar product. Lots of color options and you could use an area rug(s).

Carpeting in a basement that floods is not a great idea. I would consider vinyl plank with an area rug if she wants carpet that badly.

Reactions: Obliviax
well, happy wife happy life. But watching national trends everyone is going toward hard surfaces especially in basements where dampness can lead to mold and other problems. Nationally, post-COVID (ok, don't freak out I said "post") people are trending to be even more health-conscious. It is much easier to clean and care for. I'd ask her to revisit her thoughts and go with a hard surface with a rug as opposed to a carpet. I also agree that the newer pretend-wood surfaces are really great. Many have textures build in that make it impossible to know if it is real or fake.

I just build and sold a high end home and my wife wanted to use hardwood so that there was no need to make excuses. People would ask if it was hardwood and when told it was, they'd pull up a heating vent to see. I mean, if you've got to do that then what is the diff? Also, planks make it easy to pull up and replace down the road if your choice in colors goes out of style. The base stays in. Easy peasy.

well, happy wife happy life. But watching national trends everyone is going toward hard surfaces especially in basements where dampness can lead to mold and other problems. Nationally, post-COVID (ok, don't freak out I said "post") people are trending to be even more health-conscious. It is much easier to clean and care for. I'd ask her to revisit her thoughts and go with a hard surface with a rug as opposed to a carpet. I also agree that the newer pretend-wood surfaces are really great. Many have textures build in that make it impossible to know if it is real or fake.

I just build and sold a high end home and my wife wanted to use hardwood so that there was no need to make excuses. People would ask if it was hardwood and when told it was, they'd pull up a heating vent to see. I mean, if you've got to do that then what is the diff? Also, planks make it easy to pull up and replace down the road if your choice in colors goes out of style. The base stays in. Easy peasy.
Agreed. Vinyl plank is good enough now to use anywhere in the house nowadays. At least that is what I tell myself because it is going everywhere in my house (almost done.) The one tiny negative is the stair nosing is not as seamless as traditional wood. Regarding the basement, you are right about moldy carpets, a very highly overlooked danger in a house that can cause a lot of health issues.

Agreed. Vinyl plank is good enough now to use anywhere in the house nowadays. At least that is what I tell myself because it is going everywhere in my house (almost done.) The one tiny negative is the stair nosing is not as seamless as traditional wood. Regarding the basement, you are right about moldy carpets, a very highly overlooked danger in a house that can cause a lot of health issues.
Do you have a router? If the solid wood trim is proud of the flooring, you could even it out with a router and a bearing bit. A block plane set to take ultra fine shavings could work as well.

Other thoughts here. https://www.lumberliquidators.com/l...avoid-these-transition-install-mistakes/a/923

ADVERTISEMENT