ADVERTISEMENT

Need help identifying Penn State button - Jynx the Lynx

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
i keep my old citizens bank buttons in a big jar for decoration and sometimes wear the old ones to games. I came across one which says “Jynx the Lynx”. I can’t recall what opponent this was made for. I’ve been going to games for decades so some of these could be quite old. Anyone remember the Lynx?

i keep my old citizens bank buttons in a big jar for decoration and sometimes wear the old ones to games. I came across one which says “Jynx the Lynx”. I can’t recall what opponent this was made for. I’ve been going to games for decades so some of these could be quite old. Anyone remember the Lynx?
The Lynx is considered to be a wildcat so it could be K State, Kentucky, Arizona or Northwestern.

A catamount could be a puma, cougar or lynx. Which gives us Vermont and Western Carolina. Could it be a button for basketball or hockey?

IMG_1200.png

Reactions: 91Joe95
Clearly nobody from the School of Forest Resources was consulted when they made those buttons. A lynx is a bobcat. I would have said the button was for the Ohio game if people didn't post links that it was Northwestern. Although a wild cat, the scientific name for the bobcat is Lynx rufus, literally a lynx.

The bobcat and the Canadian lynx are related, the difference being the lynx has tufted ears and longer legs. I saw a family of five lynx while riding my atv in northern Maine. My friends in Maine claim the bobcat is more secretive, while the lynx is more curious and less afraid of humans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT