ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
125 – Moisey (Sr)

Nebraska gets a high-profile transfer from West Virginia in 2-time AA Zeke Moisey (8th in 2018, 2nd in 2015). Last year’s starter, Maginnis, went 16-16 and did not qualify for the NCAA tournament.

133 – Peska (Sr)

Peska began the year as the starter last year (6-8 record) eventually giving way to Renteria (8-4 record) who since left for Iowa.

141 – Red (So)

Red, in his first starting season, went into the NCAA tournament unseeded but finished strong becoming an AA with a 7th place finish (26-11 season record). Most notable was a pin of Heil that kept him from being a 4-time AA.

149 – Purinton (Sr)

Purinton takes over for 2-time qualifier McCrystal (2-2 in 2018, r12 in2017 @141). He had a 14-5 season record last year.

157 – Berger (Sr)

Two-time AA Berger (3rd in 2018, 5th in 2017, R12 in 2016) is back for his final year to battle Hidlay and others for the right to get matrixed by Nolf.

165 – White (Jr)

White had a solid first year as a starter going 25-8 and securing the 11 seed for the NCAA tournament where he finished in the round of 12.

174 – Labriola (Fr)

Labriola enters the lineup after having a 18-2 redshirt season (2 loses to Lydy). He had several significant wins, including against Kocer, Jacobe Smith and Sebastian. Labriola takes over for Breske (So) who went 9-12 last year and did qualify for the NCAA tournament.

184 – Venz (So)

Venz had an excellent first year as a starter, going 29-9 and finishing 4th at the tournament from the 7 seed. He didn’t do it the easy way either, after losing to unseeded Ness in the 2nd round, Venz defeated #4 Renda, #9 Dean and #6 Zavatsky before losing to #10 Parker in the 3rd place match.

197 – Schultz (So)

Another first year starter last season, Schultz went 20-11 overall and 2-2 in the tournament.

Heavy – Jensen (Jr)

He went 10-11 last year and did not qualify for the NCAA tournament. Maybe incoming freshman Austin Emerson can challenge for the starting spot.

Nebraska has a pretty solid looking lineup overall. They return all 3 of last year’s AAs and add an AA @125. Labriola enters the lineup and is capable of being an AA @174. White could also finish higher @165. Too bad they lost Renteria. I would be very surprised if Nebraska did not improve upon their finish from last year (9th place/47 points).

Venz is one of my favorite non PSU dudes out there. Reminds me a lot of Nickal, and I could see him improving his placement this year--especially if Bo goes up and Zahid stays put.

Christian Miller will be the 133 starter if he can maintain the weight. He wrestled 141/149 last year so very surprised to see him at 133 on the roster. Maybe it's an error, but that is the weight that he was originally projected at before blowing up last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT