ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska wants to play football: "We certainly hope it's in the Big Ten. If it isn't..."

Lol - the Big10 presidents were all set to cancel the season and thought they had agreement with all conferences. They floated the leaks within the past 24 hours and didn't expect the kick-back from players, their families, and coaches. Then, they probably realized the Big12 and SEC weren't committed to throw in the towel yet.

Knowing they would look bad if the Big10 cancelled and the Big12/SEC continued with plans to play, they are now scrambling to save face with this "delay" alternative.

Wouldn't surprise me if they decide to cancel the first two games and say they intend to proceed with a 8 game schedule starting in late Sept.

Maybe Day and Frost should consult with their respective ADs and Presidents first.

The new tOSU President today stated she is against cancelling the season.

Don’t let facts get in the way of your argument though. It would be counter to Board tradition.

Actually I think you got it backwards. Nebraska won’t support this lame-brain idea and if lightning strikes and the school does, the Big will tell them not to let the door you know whaton the way out, as well it should.
You may be right about Nebraska not doing anything, but if they did, I think you’re wrong about the Big....they’re not going to get rid of the money Nebraska brings in....in the end, the Big is all about money.

Lol - the Big10 presidents were all set to cancel the season and thought they had agreement with all conferences. They floated the leaks within the past 24 hours and didn't expect the kick-back from players, their families, and coaches. Then, they probably realized the Big12 and SEC weren't committed to throw in the towel yet.

Knowing they would look bad if the Big10 cancelled and the Big12/SEC continued with plans to play, they are now scrambling to save face with this "delay" alternative.

Wouldn't surprise me if they decide to cancel the first two games and say they intend to proceed with a 8 game schedule starting in late Sept.
Reminds me of Bluto in Animal House when he asks “who’s with me”, runs out of the house and nobody follows him. The B10 asked “who’s with us” and the answer was pretty much nobody, so now they need to backtrack and save face.

The new tOSU President today stated she is against cancelling the season.

Don’t let facts get in the way of your argument though. It would be counter to Board tradition.

That’s after she reportedly voted to cancel the season yesterday? I’m sure she got a stern talking to from the football coach and then got in line behind her boss. :eek:

That would be interesting, if the previously reported voting results of the B1G President's are accurate. Who wins? OSU's President or the OSU Football Coach?
I cannot see a hissing contest between B1G Presidents and the coaches. I would like to see them play if it is safe, but what administration wants to be seen as caving in to the athletic department.

I don't have any ill will towards Nebby. And I would love to see TX play nice so that Nebby could go back to the Big 12.

I just don't like these conferences with more than 12 teams. They don't seem very cohesive, which in turn kills the fun of the rivalry concept of college football.

Reactions: psu00
I don't have any ill will towards Nebby. And I would love to see TX play nice so that Nebby could go back to the Big 12.

I just don't like these conferences with more than 12 teams. They don't seem very cohesive, which in turn kills the fun of the rivalry concept of college football.
Let’s face it, a few of the additions by the Big 10 haven’t really added much to the conference...Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska haven’t exactly set the world on fire.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215
That’s after she reportedly voted to cancel the season yesterday? I’m sure she got a stern talking to from the football coach and then got in line behind her boss. :eek:

She did not vote to cancel. Reasons?

1. She does not take office until 8/24
2. Gene Smith was the tOSU representative on the call
3. There was no “vote” in the first place

There are many reports of this on tOSU and Ohio news sites.

Or the presidents should consult with the most powerful person on campus, the football coach. After all, Paterno was.

That was at Penn State where football came first. Ohio State isn't like that. ;)

She did not vote to cancel. Reasons?

1. She does not take office until 8/24
2. Gene Smith was the tOSU representative on the call
3. There was no “vote” in the first place

There are many reports of this on tOSU and Ohio news sites.

I don’t follow Ohio news sites, much less the OSU boards. I did listen to Dan Patrick today say his source told him they spoke to 3 different big ten university officials today and each told him the season was done. In any event, I was just joking about OSU. ;)

Or the presidents should consult with the most powerful person on campus, the football coach. After all, Paterno was.

Pretty easy to find out who's opinion counts the most in any organization. Who makes the most money, and who would be the most difficult to replace......;)

Reactions: TN Lion
Don't talk about it Scott, be about it. Nebraska is dead weight in the B1G. Can they take Rutgers with them and give us someone else? I mean, he said Nebraska could be the 'next Wisconsin' - I'm sure that made Husker fans, who have multiple NC trophies to drool over, happy.

Will be interesting to see what they do. What's the penalty for leaving the B1G?

The penalty is better refing.

Good for him. Maybe they will have the stones to say adios to the crooked Big10. And now is our chance too! And we have been treated much, much worse than Nebraska!

actually how does the BIG conference office survive with absolutely NO money coming in? NO TV money - as there is no sports. NO fees from the schools AD revenues, etc.

Do they have enough of a war chest to even survive a season? they certainly don't seem to qualify for any rescue $$$.

Sounds like a good way to get out of getting kicked around in the Big 10. I wouldn’t miss (or really even notice for that matter) Nebraska if they left.

If that's all it takes..... F#@K, let's do it to !!!!!

Let's take the Nebraska lead, cross our fingers ther B1G kicks us out. I have a feeling Penn State would have the ACC, Big12 and maybe even the SEC speeding up to State College with offers to join.

Reactions: cjrugger
They may be in the B1G, but ultimately Nebraska is responsible for its own economic welfare. If the B1G does not give it a chance to play football this fall causing unnecessary damage to the Nebraska Athletic programs then why shouldn't they be allowed to pursue other options for one year? They aren't missing a B1G season that doesn't happen. Playing a season in the spring and fall of 2021 would pose more of a danger to the players than Covid would with a normal 2020 season.

Yes. I'm sure there is no "pandemic clause" in the B1G by-laws. This would be a very interesting legal case if the B1G even bothered to pursue. If the B1G cancels the season, then the B1G is cancelling THEIR schedule..... Can the conference dictate to their member schools that they can not go out and schedule an "independent" schedule while the B1G has decided to not play??? If Nebrska went out and scheduled Iowa St, AZ State, BYU and a few SEC schools then IMO, they should be free to do so because it was the B1G who cancelled.

Reactions: psu00 and Ski
actually how does the BIG conference office survive with absolutely NO money coming in? NO TV money - as there is no sports. NO fees from the schools AD revenues, etc.

Do they have enough of a war chest to even survive a season? they certainly don't seem to qualify for any rescue $$$.

Per the last published financials, costs the Big Ten about $25mm p.a. to run its offices. They had $40mm cash on hand and $8mm of marketable securities. Had a balance of $80mm of notes and a/r, some of which could be run off to generate cash and or offset against current liabilities of less than $5mm.

So with a bit of belt tightening, it could survive for 2-3 years. Maybe a certain group of athletic directors could learn some lessons there.

Yes. I'm sure there is no "pandemic clause" in the B1G by-laws. This would be a very interesting legal case if the B1G even bothered to pursue. If the B1G cancels the season, then the B1G is cancelling THEIR schedule..... Can the conference dictate to their member schools that they can not go out and schedule an "independent" schedule while the B1G has decided to not play??? If Nebrska went out and scheduled Iowa St, AZ State, BYU and a few SEC schools then IMO, they should be free to do so because it was the B1G who cancelled.

Maybe no "pandemic" clause, but a more generic "force majeure" section. Doubt that it helps much with the GOR. So maybe Nebraska can play its games, but the TV money goes to the Big Ten.

If that's all it takes..... F#@K, let's do it to !!!!!

Let's take the Nebraska lead, cross our fingers ther B1G kicks us out. I have a feeling Penn State would have the ACC, Big12 and maybe even the SEC speeding up to State College with offers to join.
They tried to kick us out once already...but have done nothing with their most favored darlings. Second time is a charm?

Reactions: GregInPitt
Is nebbie still playing football this fall? If so, where, when, against whom, and what time do the lots open?

If one team in the Big plays outside of it particularly Mich or OSU then we are definitely following suit.

ADVERTISEMENT