ADVERTISEMENT

ND cancels game

Apparently 7 players tested positive. No game with Wake Forest. Is this a sign of what's ahead?
More accurate to say they "postponed" the game.

Both teams have an open day on next Saturday Oct. 3, and may play then. The ACC is having some issues obviously, but they do have some flexibility in their scheduling, which the Big 10 lacks.

Last edited:
Afraid so. The manadatory 21-day isolation period in the B1G for athletes testing positive will shut down teams.

Is it really 21 days? If true, what numbnuts came up with that? No one who is healthy and has a normal immune system sheds infectious virus more than 8-10 days.

(Of course, maybe they are taking the OSU team's PEDs into consideration. They might all have f'ed up immune systems)

Is it really 21 days? If true, what numbnuts came up with that? No one who is healthy and has a normal immune system sheds infectious virus more than 8-10 days.

(Of course, maybe they are taking the OSU team's PEDs into consideration. They might all have f'ed up immune systems)

Yeah, I'm not sure where they came up with 21 days. The CDC's guideline for healthcare workers (you know, the folks working in nursing homes and hospitals full of old and sick people) is to isolate for 10 days and go back to work if you haven't had a fever for the last 2 days. I'm not sure why a football player would need 21 days.

Yeah, I'm not sure where they came up with 21 days. The CDC's guideline for healthcare workers (you know, the folks working in nursing homes and hospitals full of old and sick people) is to isolate for 10 days and go back to work if you haven't had a fever for the last 2 days. I'm not sure why a football player would need 21 days.
21 days so that they can complete cardiac testing to confirm no myocarditis.

I haven't seen data that shows myocarditis is more likely in covid patients than any other virus. I'm sure they'll say that they don't know that yet so they are playing it safe.

Afraid so. The manadatory 21-day isolation period in the B1G for athletes testing positive will shut down teams.
That is the one part of this re-start that really needs to be examined. No other organization that I am aware of has a 21 day mandatory shut down for an individual with a positive test. There are many combinations of 7, 10, and 14 day shut downs along with testing requirements such as 2 negative tests within x number of days, but nothing requiring 21 days regardless of symptoms and test results during that time period.

I am convinced this was a power play by the 14 B10 presidents to show everyone who is really "in charge". They eventually relented under unexpected pressure (players, coaches, family, media), but the late Oct date and the 21 day sit out were the two final "fu's" to everybody by those 14 individuals.

Last edited:
All for one and one for all.....that is unless the going gets too tough

We’re all in this together until you interfere with my inalienable right to make money. When you do that, every man for himself.

The 21 day period is not an “isolation” or a “quarantine” period. It is a “return to competition” period.

A true quarantine is only for people exposed but not positive so they could return as soon as quarantine period concludes (typically 14 days). An isolation period for positive people is generally 10 days from test confirmation. The remainder of the time between day 10 and 21 would be to medically clear them and to return to practice before jumping into game. Think of it as a reacclimation period.

Reactions: ralphster
You'd think they'd want to see a student or "student/athlete" hospitalized (or at least sick) before cancelling a football game. Oh well, the b1g will make this decisions like this look rational in another month I'm sure.

How long till we see the first Lawsuit from a player claiming that a coach or a member of the medical staff withheld his report so that he could play.

The 21 day period is not an “isolation” or a “quarantine” period. It is a “return to competition” period.

A true quarantine is only for people exposed but not positive so they could return as soon as quarantine period concludes (typically 14 days). An isolation period for positive people is generally 10 days from test confirmation. The remainder of the time between day 10 and 21 would be to medically clear them and to return to practice before jumping into game. Think of it as a reacclimation period.
You are correct, but if someone tests positive but is not affected, there's no reason they can't train in isolation and be ready for action much sooner than 21 days. Would not apply to all (getting timing back) but many would have no problem isolating for 10 days (and training privately), and being ready to play by day 14. Let the coaches decide if they are ready to roll (once the medical issue is done).

IF they are not affected by the disease.

Just as you could test positive for any disease but if it isn't a problem (no symptoms) there'd be no reason to stay out after the Q is concluded.

IMO, of course :)

You are correct, but if someone tests positive but is not affected, there's no reason they can't train in isolation and be ready for action much sooner than 21 days. Would not apply to all (getting timing back) but many would have no problem isolating for 10 days (and training privately), and being ready to play by day 14. Let the coaches decide if they are ready to roll (once the medical issue is done).

IF they are not affected by the disease.

Just as you could test positive for any disease but if it isn't a problem (no symptoms) there'd be no reason to stay out after the Q is concluded.

IMO, of course :)

In theory, that could be done if they could be medically cleared before day 14. Probably not a good look to allow a diagnosed player back to game play on days 11, 12, or 13 if an player without a diagnosis in quarantine waits 14 days.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
B1G got it right by doing daily testing. Other conference are testing 3 times a week. When a player tests positive then they start contact tracing . So the people they contact trace are considered Covid positive. They are forced to

My good friend’s son is at ECU. They are testing 3 days a week. His sons roommate has tested positive twice now in under a month. They’ve both been false positives. He has to quarantine for 10 days.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
ADVERTISEMENT