ADVERTISEMENT

ND and The ACC

TFBaum

Jan 22, 2020
If ND became a permanent football member of the ACC would PSU consider leaving the Big 10 and joining the ACC?

Rutgers was never in the ACC.
Maryland was and is basically bankrupt. They needed the Big 10 more than the Big 10 needed them. I have heard that Maryland was invited to give PSU a regional rival but I will never believe that UMD will be nothing more to PSU than a doormat.

Reactions: Bertway0
Maryland was and is basically bankrupt. They needed the Big 10 more than the Big 10 needed them. I have heard that Maryland was invited to give PSU a regional rival but I will never believe that UMD will be nothing more to PSU than a doormat.

Same rationale was provided for Rutgers. Interesting that it's always a numbskull like Alvarez mouthing it, never someone from PSU. Do you think that PSU was even consulted any more than any other school?

Reactions: Option Bob
Same rationale was provided for Rutgers. Interesting that it's always a numbskull like Alvarez mouthing it, never someone from PSU. Do you think that PSU was even consulted any more than any other school?
No I don’t think they consulted PSU. Joe Paterno understood the NYC and north East tv markets better than anyone. As I have stated here in the past the All Eastern conference would have never worked. It would have been PSU and the rest. I always thought that the big 10 matched PSU footprint. However with ND in the ACC I would bet the Northeast market share for PSU ND would crush PSU OSU

As always, It's more than just football.... it's pure $$$$ and presti at this point the Big 10 provides way more of it.

Nope..... Follow the $$$$
That’s my point what does an ACC tv money look like with ND? FSU will make a comeback. Clemson for the near future is a power. 1% of the NYC market is worth more than all of the Nebraska market.

The Coastal would be a PSU doormat.

The Coastal would be a PSU doormat.

We would play 4 or more games in possibly the 90's! How many games do we have, even in the lower 40's at the Beav? Advantage them, however, admittedly, if you are good, that stuff doesn't matter!

No I don’t think they consulted PSU. Joe Paterno understood the NYC and north East tv markets better than anyone. As I have stated here in the past the All Eastern conference would have never worked. It would have been PSU and the rest. I always thought that the big 10 matched PSU footprint. However with ND in the ACC I would bet the Northeast market share for PSU ND would crush PSU OSU

Joe "understood the NYC and north East tv markets better than anyone", including those that do TV for a living? Clearly a man of immense talents.

Arguing TV draws is pointless and inconclusive. PSU is locked into the Big Ten until 2035.

Joe "understood the NYC and north East tv markets better than anyone", including those that do TV for a living? Clearly a man of immense talents.

Arguing TV draws is pointless and inconclusive. PSU is locked into the Big Ten until 2035.
How about within the college football world at the time.

A sixteen team conference, with two eight team divisions, would basically be two separate conferences with a scheduling agreement.

Reactions: bison13
If everyone would stop PROSTITUTING themselves for Notre Dame, they'd be screwed and forced to deal with joining a conference full-force or be on the outside looking in!

Idiots!!

How is everyone prostituting themselves? By scheduling games with ND? Do the financial terms of those match ups favor ND?

How is everyone prostituting themselves? By scheduling games with ND? Do the financial terms of those match ups favor ND?

Gee, maybe this will help a wee bit:

Twenty years ago, 10 years ago, 10 months ago, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick would have met the idea of the Fighting Irish ever playing college football in any conference with a stifled yawn, a subtle eye roll, a we've-been-over-that response. And yet here we are. It took a pandemic, but the Irish, bachelors for the past 132 years, are agreeing to settle down with the Atlantic Coast Conference. - They new they were screwed and they did it to themselves. It also helps ND load up on cupcake wins. NC St. Weak Florist, Virginia, Ga. Tech while opening up fertile recruiting in the ACC territory. Stupid ACC>

And NOW that they NEED to play all games in conference, the ACC accommodates them.

I say screw'em!

The Big Ten should have never let the Irish ice hockey team play in the league UNLESS all other ND sports teams joined the conference.

Would it not save them travel costs? I think it would.

Reactions: JerseyRon
Cmon, GLOV, answer the question.

Please apply yourself; you are a very intelligent man.

See above

There is no one on either side of the Notre Dame-ACC marriage who believes this decision means anything beyond 2020. And, if they're being completely honest, no one on either side can say the 2020 season will actually be played. We're a month out and we don't have schedules. If the season doesn't happen, and we reset to normal next year, did the Irish tree really fall in the ACC forest?

Cmon, GLOV, answer the question.

Geographically, Notre Dame belongs in the Big Ten. South Bend, Indiana, is closer to nine Big Ten campuses than it is Pittsburgh, the closest ACC member. The rom-com between the Big Ten and Notre Dame ended more than a decade ago. After a century of never wanting each other at the same time, the two of them stopped flirting. Sheltering at home is an important health measure, but there are some things that not even the coronavirus pandemic can make happen.

Gee, maybe this will help a wee bit:

Twenty years ago, 10 years ago, 10 months ago, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick would have met the idea of the Fighting Irish ever playing college football in any conference with a stifled yawn, a subtle eye roll, a we've-been-over-that response. And yet here we are. It took a pandemic, but the Irish, bachelors for the past 132 years, are agreeing to settle down with the Atlantic Coast Conference. - They new they were screwed and they did it to themselves. It also helps ND load up on cupcake wins. NC St. Weak Florist, Virginia, Ga. Tech while opening up fertile recruiting in the ACC territory. Stupid ACC>

And NOW that they NEED to play all games in conference, the ACC accommodates them.

I say screw'em!

The Big Ten should have never let the Irish ice hockey team play in the league UNLESS all other ND sports teams joined the conference.

Would it not save them travel costs? I think it would.

Anyone hold a gun to the ACC's head? Big Ten's? Just because you don't like a decision doesn't mean that it resulted from ass-kissing (or is the motivation behind all of your decisions whether the other guy will let you kiss his ass?). Maybe the Big Ten shouldn't have added Hopkins for lacrosse unless all of its other teams joined, or they at least joined the vaunted Big Ten Academic Alliance.

ADVERTISEMENT