ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tix - got the letter over the weekend

aalion

Jun 4, 2001
Not sure if posted already or discussed, but I received an invitation to apply for NCAA tix over the weekend. Form letter in the mail, saying that tix will be very tight, Nittany Lion Club points will be the deciding factor, dont apply if NLC points is less than 800. Last year cutoff was NLC point 1222 and they think it might be higher this year.

Not sure if posted already or discussed, but I received an invitation to apply for NCAA tix over the weekend. Form letter in the mail, saying that tix will be very tight, Nittany Lion Club points will be the deciding factor, dont apply if NLC points is less than 800. Last year cutoff was NLC point 1222 and they think it might be higher this year.

So I have a shot with 7 NLPs? You're telling me there's a chance? :D

It kind of rubs me the wrong way that years of season ticket ownership essentially count for nothing in this process. But I know they have to make some kind of arbitrary cutoff.

I realize there is a formula for arriving at 1,122 points (last year's cutoff), but what type of contribution are people making to jump the line and obtain that many points?

How much $ do they need to contribute per point?

1 point for each $50 so if you're way short it will be a lot cheaper to get them some other way. I knew it would be a tough ticket this year after Cleveland last year.

1 point for each $50 so if you're way short it will be a lot cheaper to get them some other way. I knew it would be a tough ticket this year after Cleveland last year.

Wow. For $60K, you can be in the running for NCAA tickets o_O

Reactions: Creek Side
I made the point in an earlier thread that you'd be better off financially by keeping your $60,000, investing it and using your earnings to buy a suite ticket every year at NCAA's. :)

There are ways, over time, to accumulate some points without hijacking a Brinks truck.... but those are mostly for football... renewing season tickets early, renewing online, etc. You would be surprised how quickly those points make a difference.

I do all of that^^ and I am still not even close.. As long as the venues are on the East coast and PSU hot beds.. I don't see me getting tickets thru PSU.. despite being season ticket holder and NLC member..

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I do all of that^^ and I am still not even close.. As long as the venues are on the East coast and PSU hot beds.. I don't see me getting tickets thru PSU.. despite being season ticket holder and NLC member..

easy to understand that $ has to count BUT what gripes my ass is that Penn State wants to act like ‘loyalty ‘ counts...bullshit. There are other schools out there that not only give points for $ donated but also award points for consecutive years of season ticket ownership.
Once wrestling got popular a lot of people with big point amounts from football decided to jump in and grap the dwindling number of wrestling season tickets and automatically jump to the front of the line ahead of ‘loyal’ wrestling fans who not only supported the wrestlers at dual meets but also at nationals

There are other schools out there that not only give points for $ donated but also award points for consecutive years of season ticket ownership.
I used to donate to Oklahoma and they gave 1 point per year of consecutive season ticket ownership. So you essentially accumulate one extra point per year. If you don't renew one year, all those points are taken away. PSU basically does the same thing and label it "Fan Loyalty" (that's the Points category on you account listing), only PSU doesn't ever take the points away. PSU gives you 2 points per year, per sport that you have season tickets. In the grand scheme of things, that's nothing when we are talking about needing 1500 NLC points for nationals tickets. I understand the frustration, but when you have one guy who has donated $50,000 to the athletic department, and another who has given $2000, what else are you going to do?

I used to donate to Oklahoma and they gave 1 point per year of consecutive season ticket ownership. So you essentially accumulate one extra point per year. If you don't renew one year, all those points are taken away. PSU basically does the same thing and label it "Fan Loyalty" (that's the Points category on you account listing), only PSU doesn't ever take the points away. PSU gives you 2 points per year, per sport that you have season tickets. In the grand scheme of things, that's nothing when we are talking about needing 1500 NLC points for nationals tickets. I understand the frustration, but when you have one guy who has donated $50,000 to the athletic department, and another who has given $2000, what else are you going to do?

Nah. I've been a season ticketholder for wrestling for over 15 years, so I couldn't possibly have 7 points if that were the case.

I've had wrestling season tickets for 7 or 8 years now but been a NLC member on and off for roughly 15 years. In 2016, a year I didn't join NLC but still bought season tickets, they deducted 2 NLC points from me and the reason says "Not One Team Participant". I do believe a NLC member gets 2 points for every year they join and then "bonus points" for $$$$ donations.

I was on a business golf trip this past spring in Florida. Our foursome had a guy get sick one day so the starter at the club asked if a single could join us. This single player ended up being a guy who owns a company that sponsors many wrestling events, including the NCAA tournament. He and I hit it off immediately and we still stay in contact to today. Needless to say I secured my NCAA tickets for Pittsburgh.

Same h
I used to donate to Oklahoma and they gave 1 point per year of consecutive season ticket ownership. So you essentially accumulate one extra point per year. If you don't renew one year, all those points are taken away. PSU basically does the same thing and label it "Fan Loyalty" (that's the Points category on you account listing), only PSU doesn't ever take the points away. PSU gives you 2 points per year, per sport that you have season tickets. In the grand scheme of things, that's nothing when we are talking about needing 1500 NLC points for nationals tickets. I understand the frustration, but when you have one guy who has donated $50,000 to the athletic department, and another who has given $2000, what else are you going to do?[

The bolded part is not correct. You get 2 points for each year of membership. You don't get any points for having season tickets for any sport.

Nah. I've been a season ticketholder for wrestling for over 15 years, so I couldn't possibly have 7 points if that were the case.
I thought it was a more recent thing, since I have a bunch of "Fan Loyalty" points over the last few years:

2017 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2017 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2017 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2016 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2016 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2016 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2015 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2015 Fan Loyalty 2.00

Since the "Fan Loyalty" corresponds to the number of sports I have season tickets for, I just assumed it was that. If it's not 2 points for season tickets renewal, I have no idea what they are for.

I thought it was a more recent thing, since I have a bunch of "Fan Loyalty" points over the last few years:

2017 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2017 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2017 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2016 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2016 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2016 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2015 Fan Loyalty 2.00
2015 Fan Loyalty 2.00

Since the "Fan Loyalty" corresponds to the number of sports I have season tickets for, I just assumed it was that. If it's not 2 points for season tickets renewal, I have no idea what they are for.

I also get 2 points and I only have wrestling season tickets. The Fan Loyalty is part of the One Team.

I also get 2 points and I only have wrestling season tickets. The Fan Loyalty is part of the One Team.

Apparently, I need to speak to someone about my points. Of course, it really won't get me to where I need to be. Lol.

Even the 800 point application cut off is low.. no one at that level will get tickets.. The point level last year of 1222 will be even higher cut off this year if I had to guess...

Sorry so long...

As Penn State Wrestling fans, we are at a different place regarding NCAA Tickets than ever before. As recently as 2011 (Philly), and 2012 (St. Louis), the NCAA allotment did not meet our fan base demand, but every application was filled, as the Athletic Department Ticket Office solicited tickets from other sources. Then in 2013 (Des Moines) and 2014 (Oklahoma City), demand remained high, but the distance kept some fans away, and again, all applications were filled. 2015 (St. Louis) was a struggle to get enough tickets, though my recollection is that every application was filled.

Enter the recent stretch...2016 (NYC), 2017 (St. Louis), 2018 (Cleveland), and 2019 (Pittsburgh), and the game is waaaay different. In NYC, we saw a major glimpse into the future, for close-proximity venues, and high demand ticket requests. Beyond what the NCAA allotment was, and the Ticket Office was able to secure above and beyond that, the wrestling club was able to secure 349 suite tickets, either Madison Club or Signature Club, for $500 or $800 per seat. Most, but not all, got tickets.

2017 was not horrible, as PSU fans reached out, more than ever before, to other schools for tickets, when the Ticket Office couldn't secure enough...and most ended up attending.

Now the game has changed again, dramatically so. There's more fans following Penn State Wrestling than ever before, the venues were/are in central PA's backyard (Cleveland and Pittsburgh), and the NCAA allocation is unchanged, if not down a smidgeon. The supply end of this is as much a factor as the demand end...and all the stakeholders are impacted, whether a fan is a season ticket holder, NLC member, PSWC member, or a wrestling fan that's none of these but lives in Cleveland or Pittsburgh, and wants to go to the national tourney.

I believe, if the ticket application process was open to everyone, knowing what I know about the past, ticket requests for Pittsburgh would be in the 2000 to 3000 range. And my conservative nature, as it is, may mean that my guesstimate is too low.

There is no magic answer. Success, limited tickets from the NCAA, and close venues has made NCAA Championship tickets harder to get than possibly the Football Bowl Tickets during the 70's and 80's. I can't think of another comparable situation.

Great point. I went to the 1994 championships in Chapel Hill using my NWCA membership. The seats weren't great and we were in sort of the "other" section, but we were there. It was a different experience than being in one of the Penn State sections, though.
I was at the 1994 championships too--and got tickets the day I showed up for the tournament. How times have changed!

I've had wrestling season tickets for 7 or 8 years now but been a NLC member on and off for roughly 15 years. In 2016, a year I didn't join NLC but still bought season tickets, they deducted 2 NLC points from me and the reason says "Not One Team Participant". I do believe a NLC member gets 2 points for every year they join and then "bonus points" for $$$$ donations.
I think One Team participant points were different than the team loyalty points. When everything happened with the Sandusky scandal, PSU lost many season ticket holders... and did a few things with points to try and keep them. One Team participant, 5-year commitment, etc... I think that was one of the temporary ways to get points.

Sorry so long...

As Penn State Wrestling fans, we are at a different place regarding NCAA Tickets than ever before. As recently as 2011 (Philly), and 2012 (St. Louis), the NCAA allotment did not meet our fan base demand, but every application was filled, as the Athletic Department Ticket Office solicited tickets from other sources. Then in 2013 (Des Moines) and 2014 (Oklahoma City), demand remained high, but the distance kept some fans away, and again, all applications were filled. 2015 (St. Louis) was a struggle to get enough tickets, though my recollection is that every application was filled.

Enter the recent stretch...2016 (NYC), 2017 (St. Louis), 2018 (Cleveland), and 2019 (Pittsburgh), and the game is waaaay different. In NYC, we saw a major glimpse into the future, for close-proximity venues, and high demand ticket requests. Beyond what the NCAA allotment was, and the Ticket Office was able to secure above and beyond that, the wrestling club was able to secure 349 suite tickets, either Madison Club or Signature Club, for $500 or $800 per seat. Most, but not all, got tickets.

2017 was not horrible, as PSU fans reached out, more than ever before, to other schools for tickets, when the Ticket Office couldn't secure enough...and most ended up attending.

Now the game has changed again, dramatically so. There's more fans following Penn State Wrestling than ever before, the venues were/are in central PA's backyard (Cleveland and Pittsburgh), and the NCAA allocation is unchanged, if not down a smidgeon. The supply end of this is as much a factor as the demand end...and all the stakeholders are impacted, whether a fan is a season ticket holder, NLC member, PSWC member, or a wrestling fan that's none of these but lives in Cleveland or Pittsburgh, and wants to go to the national tourney.

I believe, if the ticket application process was open to everyone, knowing what I know about the past, ticket requests for Pittsburgh would be in the 2000 to 3000 range. And my conservative nature, as it is, may mean that my guesstimate is too low.

There is no magic answer. Success, limited tickets from the NCAA, and close venues has made NCAA Championship tickets harder to get than possibly the Football Bowl Tickets during the 70's and 80's. I can't think of another comparable situation.

How about limiting ticket requests to two per applicant rather than four per applicant? That would reduce the number of NLC points required. Many members with high numbers of NLC points get a ticket for themselves and three tickets for buddies who have few or no NLC points.

I think One Team participant points were different than the team loyalty points. When everything happened with the Sandusky scandal, PSU lost many season ticket holders... and did a few things with points to try and keep them. One Team participant, 5-year commitment, etc... I think that was one of the temporary ways to get points.
I talked to the NLC and found out the "Fan Loyalty" points were for being a season ticket holder in a particular sport. 2 points per sport, per year. HOWEVER, it was only for those who signed up for the "One Team" pledge.

Reactions: matter7172
easy to understand that $ has to count BUT what gripes my ass is that Penn State wants to act like ‘loyalty ‘ counts...bullshit. There are other schools out there that not only give points for $ donated but also award points for consecutive years of season ticket ownership.
Once wrestling got popular a lot of people with big point amounts from football decided to jump in and grap the dwindling number of wrestling season tickets and automatically jump to the front of the line ahead of ‘loyal’ wrestling fans who not only supported the wrestlers at dual meets but also at nationals

I’ve had Football season tickets continuously since 1972. Every year I made my “required” time minimum NLC donation and a few years I gave a little more. I thought NLC points would get me better seats, but that never happened. Eventually I ponyed up for Club seats and the seat license fees added to my NLC points ..... so after 46 years ...... I’ve got enough points to cash in on special events like the NCAA’s. Do I feel guilty because I’ve only been a wrestling season ticket holder for the past 12 years —- nope!

How about limiting ticket requests to two per applicant rather than four per applicant? That would reduce the number of NLC points required. Many members with high numbers of NLC points get a ticket for themselves and three tickets for buddies who have few or no NLC points.
I would 100% support this. Most only have 2 season tickets, yet they are allowed to request 4 NCAA tickets? Makes no sense to me.

I understand and appreciate the money of the 50 thou or 100 thou guy to the 2 thou guy. However, if the 2 thou guy has had season tickets for 25 or 35 years and the 100 thou has had them for 5 years the 35 year guy should have some consideration.

If Cael decided to leave and take the Utah State job and Penn State in 5 years returned to previous levels of quality the 35 year guy will still be going to the matches with his season tickets and purchasing national tickets. The 100 thou guy, depending on his love of Penn State wrestling versus his position on the bandwagon maybe not so much.

I have very few points but am a season ticket holder. I've been to nationals the last 3 years. At MSG, I was able to get tickets in the PSU section. I talked to one person in that section that was from Bellefonte and had season tickets. Everyone else I talked to hadn't even been to a match that year. The one guy actually asked me how the team was looking. Seriously, why does that guy need tickets at nationals but it's like you guys said, it's someone with points buying 4 and then giving them to their buddies who think it would make a nice trip.

Ironically, in Cleveland last year, I was not in the PSU section, it was more of a general admission section, but everyone I talked to in that section was a season ticket holder. It was just where we all were able to find tickets I think.

I'd really like to know the % of people in a PSU section seat that go to the majority of the home matches. I bet it's not much more than 50%.

I found STL easier to get tickets, if you don't mind paying for the flight, I think we hardcore fans would be better off if it wasn't located so close.

I understand and appreciate the money of the 50 thou or 100 thou guy to the 2 thou guy. However, if the 2 thou guy has had season tickets for 25 or 35 years and the 100 thou has had them for 5 years the 35 year guy should have some consideration.

If Cael decided to leave and take the Utah State job and Penn State in 5 years returned to previous levels of quality the 35 year guy will still be going to the matches with his season tickets and purchasing national tickets. The 100 thou guy, depending on his love of Penn State wrestling versus his position on the bandwagon maybe not so much.
In an ideal world, the 35 year guy would have some pull. But, the PSU athletic department is hemorrhaging money and they have created a system that favors the big donors. You can't really blame them either, because the wrestling team is not self-sufficient. The 2017 EADA report states the wrestling team operated on about a $700k deficit that year. That money has to come from somewhere, and it isn't coming from the guy who has donated $2k to the university over 35 years. That money is coming from the guy who is donating a substantial amount per year for football tickets. I know it sucks for some, but without the football money, many of the "olympic" sports would cease to exist at PSU. Now, given the popularity of wrestling in PA, I think PSU would always find a way to fund the wrestling team.

Bottom line, you can't bite the hand that feeds. It's not like the NLC took away the 35 year guy's season tickets and gave them to the football donors. We're just talking about nationals tickets, which as far as I know, have never been guaranteed to anybody year-year.

We are always talking about "Growing the Sport", right? That's something I hear from a lot of the 35 year guys. The sport has definitely grown at PSU, but now at the expense of some of the 35 year guys. Can't have it both ways, i guess.

Reactions: VRE
What kills me is guys who go to Nationals and spend sessions at crappy bars. You can get booze anywhere - you’re there to do one thing.

The buzz watching from afar is crazy - I can’t even imagine it inside the arena. Go drink after the session - it’s not that hard unless you’re an alky.

Pittsburgh is going to be bonkers. Going for 8 of 9 in the heartland of folkstyle wrestling.

Reactions: VRE and The Shelter
For those interested, 2020 tournament should have THOUSANDS of tickets available since it's in a football stadium!
From an NCAA insider, this is an experiment of sorts...take an annually sold-out event, and attempt, or try, a venue where more can go...in this case, a football stadium. Not stated, but surely the case imo, is the added revenue this will bring in.

If I personally had any concerns, it's the distance some will be from the action.

Reactions: nitlion6
From an NCAA insider, this is an experiment of sorts...take an annually sold-out event, and attempt, or try, a venue where more can go...in this case, a football stadium. Not stated, but surely the case imo, is the added revenue this will bring in.

If I personally had any concerns, it's the distance some will be from the action.
that's a huge concern. Nose bleed seats takes a lot away from viewing a match.

ADVERTISEMENT