ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA proposes no MINIMUM TEST SCORES 2022

PennStatePigskin

Dec 28, 2004
Dropping test scores for athletes entering college will damage College Sports & K-12.

Both college & K-12 require some academic performance from students wanting to participate in extracurricular sport and activities.
No entry test scores for college entry is opening the door isn’t just damaging to athletes but to all students. Having more students taking remedial HS courses in College doesn’t help anyone.

The NCAA is acknowledging the academic ideal of big time college athletics is a joke. They're likely trying to get out ahead of any future lawsuits which will claim someone is being denied the opportunity to play college football or basketball. The suit would highlight the multiple instances of the NCAA ignoring academic shenanigans of certain member schools. The NCAA doesn't want to air that laundry.

Dropping test scores for athletes entering college will damage College Sports & K-12.

Both college & K-12 require some academic performance from students wanting to participate in extracurricular sport and activities.
No entry test scores for college entry is opening the door isn’t just damaging to athletes but to all students. Having more students taking remedial HS courses in College doesn’t help anyone.

Good my SAT scores although good enough to be accepted to the Naval Academy no way reflected my academic abilities hence evidence of my class rank. The issue is schools pre college need to get back to teaching real subjects e.g. math, English etc.

Seriously, what do people expect? You take school away from kids for a year, year and a half, and then add a whole host of other restrictions, and then pretend it has no effect on kids and their scholastic achievement, among other things? This country has its head up its ass right now, especially about what is important.

The NCAA is acknowledging the academic ideal of big time college athletics is a joke. They're likely trying to get out ahead of any future lawsuits which will claim someone is being denied the opportunity to play college football or basketball. The suit would highlight the multiple instances of the NCAA ignoring academic shenanigans of certain member schools. The NCAA doesn't want to air that laundry.
Pretty much it. Now it’s up to individual schools or conferences to establish their own standards. I got no predictions.

Seriously, what do people expect? You take school away from kids for a year, year and a half, and then add a whole host of other restrictions, and then pretend it has no effect on kids and their scholastic achievement, among other things? This country has its head up its ass right now, especially about what is important.

Apparently making sports easy with no accountability for academics is important.

One of the things we could appreciate about Paterno was his emphasis on academics and student conduct. Nowadays, Paterno (and his laudable ideals) has been flushed down the memory hole. I have given up on the NFL and I can see the way things are going, college football won't be too far behind. The colleges themselves are going to suffer if they keep up this insanity. What is the point of a college degree if it means nothing?

yeah- lets dumb things down even further

that should lead to a bright future
For the past 2 years PSU hasn't required testing scores for admittance for all students. Funny thing is, and I know this because we visited last week for a tour with our daughter, the average SAT/ACT scores for admittance are super high. That's what happens when only the kids with high scores submit them.

For the past 2 years PSU hasn't required testing scores for admittance for all students. Funny thing is, and I know this because we visited last week for a tour with our daughter, the average SAT/ACT scores for admittance are super high. That's what happens when only the kids with high scores submit them.
How are PSU's national rankings doing the past 2 years? Especially when mixed w/ the cost? PSU has even ruined a trade school they own - Penn College. It cost more to attend than in-state UM tuition.

How are PSU's national rankings doing the past 2 years? Especially when mixed w/ the cost? PSU has even ruined a trade school they own - Penn College. It cost more to attend than in-state UM tuition.
The graphic they put up for University Park said $32,000-35,000 for in state and $42,000-45,000 out of state. I have no idea about Penn Tech. They have a nursing program there now, correct?

• Wow
Reactions: PSUfiji
The elimination of student-athlete performance standards or student performance standards will throw buckets of water onto the Students working really hard academically to achieve.

I knew back in the 90’s that remedial HS courses were being taught for some. Now, what growing percentage of matriculating students graduate
Never getting off of a HS course load ?

When I hear that players are studying towards their second masters degree I really wonder by what standard. Two of my children have masters and I know how hard they worked.

As for K-12, if college requires no entry standards, how can a school district stop an underachieving student wanting extra-curricula activities from participating knowing that a lawsuit looms.

yeah- because standards haven't been getting lower and lower for decades now

Reactions: bison13
The graphic they put up for University Park said $32,000-35,000 for in state and $42,000-45,000 out of state. I have no idea about Penn Tech. They have a nursing program there now, correct?
It's Penn College, not Penn Tech. A kid from Muncy that wants to learn how to weld is signed up for a student loan that exceeds main campus in-state Michigan.

Sign here kid!

It's Penn College, not Penn Tech. A kid from Muncy that wants to learn how to weld is signed up for a student loan that exceeds main campus in-state Michigan.

Sign here kid!
This is the class warfare, Robin Hood education model. Increasingly, many pay nothing to attend.

I tell my Pennsylvania State elected officials to stop funding PS, and let them figure out how to pay for this ruination of policy.

This is the class warfare, Robin Hood education model. Increasingly, many pay nothing to attend.

I tell my Pennsylvania State elected officials to stop funding PS, and let them figure out how to pay for this ruination of policy.
Well, welding school should cost a few thousand a year. But - you have to pay for those new buildings and fancy artwork and landscaping in Williamsport. Thanks Penn State.

One of the things we could appreciate about Paterno was his emphasis on academics and student conduct. Nowadays, Paterno (and his laudable ideals) has been flushed down the memory hole. I have given up on the NFL and I can see the way things are going, college football won't be too far behind. The colleges themselves are going to suffer if they keep up this insanity. What is the point of a college degree if it means nothing?
For one, it insures a constant supply of people to purchase overpriced sporting event tickets and team apparel.

My guess is at some point, colleges will get back to some form of standardized testing. And even if there isn't a minimum entry test requirement, schools still have academic standards to maintain AFAIK. If they are talking about getting rid of *all* academic standards for student athletes, you might as well make pro sports your mission and run basketball and football like minor pro leagues. It's already happening for the most part - this just puts everyone on a level playing field.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Hs already has to give kids a 50% just for showing up so does this surprise anyone that college is dropping test scores. Just when there seems to be a push towards trade schools and community colleges big schools needed to find a way to keep kids enrollung who really should not be there

Reactions: 91Joe95
My guess is at some point, colleges will get back to some form of standardized testing. And even if there isn't a minimum entry test requirement, schools still have academic standards to maintain AFAIK. If they are talking about getting rid of *all* academic standards for student athletes, you might as well make pro sports your mission and run basketball and football like minor pro leagues. It's already happening for the most part - this just puts everyone on a level playing field.
Why do we - as college football fans have to pay for NFL player development? What's our benefit - w/ the portal and the early NFL exits? College baseball has it figured out (for the time being). College basketball is an afterthought - and I remember when it was the best sport in existence - the ACC tournament years.

Why do we - as college football fans have to pay for NFL player development? What's our benefit - w/ the portal and the early NFL exits? College baseball has it figured out (for the time being). College basketball is an afterthought - and I remember when it was the best sport in existence - the ACC tournament years.
For many fans the emotional connection to the school outweighs the thoughts of being an NFL feeder system. Maybe something will happen to change that, I don't know. One thing for certain is the NFL is laughing all the way to the bank. College ball is a minor league system which costs them nothing. The NFL doesn't care about NIL, player eligibility, academics, etc. All they care about is when the young man is three years out of high school and if he's able to help the league make more of its billions.

I wouldn't be shocked in the least if someone told me the NFL paid the NCAA to relax academic standards. There's no way the NFL wants to told it needs to create a developmental league for players who didn't qualify academically to play in college.

yeah- because standards haven't been getting lower and lower for decades now

Actually, ncaa requirements have not dropped. If you go to the ncaa website it specifically says these dropping and relaxation of requirements are because of school closings because of the covid response.

IDK...call me crazy, but your assessment sounds racist ;)

Nothing could be more racist and harmful to unmotivated HS kids. It assumes black kids are incapable to perform academically so we will let them into college anyway to be fair. Their assumption is false, their motives noble but their recommendation is racist and harmful to black kids. So sad. Just another surrender to the street culture

The NCAA sliding scale is a joke on its face. Just took the clowns who run the NCAA (college presidents) a long time to recognize it.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
They, NCAA, are just trying to catch up to the SEC and Michigan State and Nebraska.

Not sure how they could require a minimum score from an athlete yet the average Joe doesn't even have to take the SAT. I get the point that there needs to be some kind of way of assessing that the athlete is academically ready for college. Not confident the minimum score on the SAT was a good metric anyway.

I have the utmost confidence in the world that hypocrite clown boy Emmert will figure this out. After all look at the role model university, LSU, that he helped steer into the cesspool.

Nothing could be more racist and harmful to unmotivated HS kids. It assumes black kids are incapable to perform academically so we will let them into college anyway to be fair. Their assumption is false, their motives noble but their recommendation is racist and harmful to black kids. So sad. Just another surrender to the street culture
Don't be so sure that their motives are noble.

Sign here kid!
It's Pennsylvania College of Technology, Mr Williamsport.

Not sure how they could require a minimum score from an athlete yet the average Joe doesn't even have to take the SAT. I get the point that there needs to be some kind of way of assessing that the athlete is academically ready for college. Not confident the minimum score on the SAT was a good metric anyway.

I have the utmost confidence in the world that hypocrite clown boy Emmert will figure this out. After all look at the role model university, LSU, that he helped steer into the cesspool.

Currently, the nimum SAT score is 400, which means..................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT