ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Football=Free Agency

NealPaige

Dec 29, 2016
It's over as we know it, and that makes me sad...my favorite sport.

Texas A&M has #1 class because they paid for it. NIL has squashed college football as we knew it....recruit your coach, college, tradition, locale, atmosphere...that's all out the window.

Now its who can pay the most money for NIL, and obviously, TAM has some wealthy donors. What used to be under the table, see Marcus Dupree 30 for 30, is now LEGAL...and college football is the wild, wild west.

So you're an 18 year old, and are talented enough to go to any school in the country that you want, straight cash homey. Haha, wait till the other shoe drops, and taxes have to be paid. Lawsuits when they're dropped from their contracts...a big ass pandora's box has been opened and there is no going back.

add in the transfer portal, better buy a program cause the numbers are gonna change every year.

Reactions: Yanks49
If you have the most corporate heads of any alumni and you can't beat A&M NIL, wherein lies the problem.

I am holding out hope that fans like us are not the only ones seeing this and that there is a higher power with the ability to reign it in. Not sure if that is the NCAA, congress or the courts, but college athletics is too huge to ignore and you can't have a handful of "haves" paying players along with the wild portal rules.

I am holding out hope that fans like us are not the only ones seeing this and that there is a higher power with the ability to reign it in. Not sure if that is the NCAA, congress or the courts, but college athletics is too huge to ignore and you can't have a handful of "haves" paying players along with the wild portal rules.
players have to unionize. That doesn't mean that they have to be the next AFL-CIO. They need to legally band together to collectively bargain like players with the NFL. That leads to some kind of rules around all of this in a Collective Bargaining Agreement. If not, it is going to be a complete free-for-all.

for that to happen, the non-super stars need to assemble. My guess is that some pretty good OL players are watching QB's get $1m in NIL and wondering where their money is. Football is the ultimate team sport and when the notion of team breaks down, everyone loses.

I recall the old story of Knute Rockney and the four horsemen. At one point, the four horsemen were getting of ton of press and acting full of themselves. In practice, Knute let the OL know to run a few plays and just step aside when the ball was snapped. Each of the skill players got their chance to see what they could do under those circumstances. Guess what? They didn't do so good! Message sent.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tlbakernc
It's over as we know it, and that makes me sad...my favorite sport.

Texas A&M has #1 class because they paid for it. NIL has squashed college football as we knew it....recruit your coach, college, tradition, locale, atmosphere...that's all out the window.

Now its who can pay the most money for NIL, and obviously, TAM has some wealthy donors. What used to be under the table, see Marcus Dupree 30 for 30, is now LEGAL...and college football is the wild, wild west.

So you're an 18 year old, and are talented enough to go to any school in the country that you want, straight cash homey. Haha, wait till the other shoe drops, and taxes have to be paid. Lawsuits when they're dropped from their contracts...a big ass pandora's box has been opened and there is no going back.
The lawsuit issue will be very complex. There are no legal precedents to guide judges, and I believe it would initially fall under state jurisdiction.

If you have the most corporate heads of any alumni and you can't beat A&M NIL, wherein lies the problem.

Probably more about priorities and preferring amateur CFB vs a 140 team minor league.
As the OP noted, CFB will never be the same. It's almost reached its pinnacle of $$ and within a few years, it will begin a fairly precipitous slide and massive reorganization. Amateurism has an appeal and no one cares about a secondary professional leagues(minors). IMHO, CFB will be a P1 made up of 15-20 "bag men" type programs and then everyone else. As money dries up, I think 10-20% of current FBS teams either drop to FCS or cut football all together.
In the long term, I think there is a good chance that major college sports cease to exist as a cultural force and revenue generator. The US is perhaps the only country with a major college sport model. There is no reason why the development model of Hockey, soccer, baseball can't apply to basketball and football.
If there was stock in the NBA G-league, I'd be a strong buyer right now.

At this point the best thing that could happen to college football would be to unionize.
players have to unionize. That doesn't mean that they have to be the next AFL-CIO. They need to legally band together to collectively bargain like players with the NFL. That leads to some kind of rules around all of this in a Collective Bargaining Agreement. If not, it is going to be a complete free-for-all.

for that to happen, the non-super stars need to assemble. My guess is that some pretty good OL players are watching QB's get $1m in NIL and wondering where their money is. Football is the ultimate team sport and when the notion of team breaks down, everyone loses.

I recall the old story of Knute Rockney and the four horsemen. At one point, the four horsemen were getting of ton of press and acting full of themselves. In practice, Knute let the OL know to run a few plays and just step aside when the ball was snapped. Each of the skill players got their chance to see what they could do under those circumstances. Guess what? They didn't do so good! Message sent.
Fully agree! College football has jumped the shark tank. Only way out is to unionize. We will never see competitive balance if something is done.

The NFL should end this charade by starting minor league football for 18 year olds who want money now and who don’t want to ‘play school.’
why would they spend money to do that when someone else spends the money to do it for them?

Reactions: tlbakernc
why would they spend money to do that when someone else spends the money to do it for them?
The answer is, the NFL will make even more money. The NFL can set up minor league farm teams all over the country, near the NFL teams. Would people go to minor league football games in Lancaster, Scranton, Allentown, Akron, Erie, etc? You bet. And the NFL can sort out top players and control them without spending much money on them. And cut the bad ones. Just like baseball.

And visa-versa, when our line wasn’t blocking properly in practice, our coach would put all of us (backs and receivers) on the line, put a lineman in the backfield and tell the defense where lineman was going to take the handoff. Message sent and received.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT