ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Debuts Most Dominant Wrestler Award Standings

"In Division I, Iowa heavyweight Tony Cassioppi leads the early standings for Most Dominant Wrestler with an average of 4.82 points per match. He is currently 16-1 on the year including 4-1 against ranked opponents. Michigan heavyweight Mason Parris sits second with a 4.77 average while Northern Colorado’s 141-pounder Andrew Alirez is third with a 4.65 average."

Scores for both Cass and Parris will likely decline tomorrow when they wrestle each other.

FWIW, Nolf and Taylor averaged 4.91 and 4.84 points per match, respectively, for their careers.

Question, anyone know if they deduct the -3 points in the loss and divide by Total Matches? The reason I ask is that Cassioppi's numbers don't add up that way. Cass has wrestled 17 official matches (doesn't include all-star match against Kerk). According to NCAA he has averaged 4.82 team points per match - which implies a total of 82 "net total team points scored" (17 marches × 4.82). This seems impossible as he has bonused in 11 matches, DEC in 5 matches and lost by DEC in one. IOW, 12 "net team points" via decision (5-1 in matches decided by DEC). This would imply that he scored 70 team points in his 11 victories determined by bonus - but that's impossible as 70 ÷ 11 = 6.36 team points scored per match he won by bonus????

The NCAA is averaging only 16 of his matches (the wins - i.e. 16 x 4.82 = 77 team points scored) - however they are completely ignoring that he surrendered 3 team points in his loss and the "net team points scored" (74) should be average by 17 matches. So in reality, the true AVERAGE team points scored per match for Cassioppi is 4.35 per match in 17 matches (74 net team points scored divided by 17 matches), not 4.82 team points per his 17 matches at wrestled this year to date.

"In Division I, Iowa heavyweight Tony Cassioppi leads the early standings for Most Dominant Wrestler with an average of 4.82 points per match. He is currently 16-1 on the year including 4-1 against ranked opponents. Michigan heavyweight Mason Parris sits second with a 4.77 average while Northern Colorado’s 141-pounder Andrew Alirez is third with a 4.65 average."

Scores for both Cass and Parris will likely decline tomorrow when they wrestle each other.

FWIW, Nolf and Taylor averaged 4.91 and 4.84 points per match, respectively, for their careers.
must be that tuff schedule cass has had! LOL

Question, anyone know if they deduct the -3 points in the loss and divide by Total Matches? The reason I ask is that Cassioppi's numbers don't add up that way. Cass has wrestled 17 official matches (doesn't include all-star match against Kerk). According to NCAA he has averaged 4.82 team points per match - which implies a total of 82 "net total team points scored" (17 marches × 4.82). This seems impossible as he has bonused in 11 matches, DEC in 5 matches and lost by DEC in one. IOW, 12 "net team points" via decision (5-1 in matches decided by DEC). This would imply that he scored 70 team points in his 11 victories determined by bonus - but that's impossible as 70 ÷ 11 = 6.36 team points scored per match he won by bonus????

The NCAA is averaging only 16 of his matches (the wins - i.e. 16 x 4.82 = 77 team points scored) - however they are completely ignoring that he surrendered 3 team points in his loss and the "net team points scored" (74) should be average by 17 matches. So in reality, the true AVERAGE team points scored per match for Cassioppi is 4.35 per match in 17 matches (74 net team points scored divided by 17 matches), not 4.82 team points per his 17 matches at wrestled this year to date.

I think you have your counts wrong, he's got 13 by bonus

12 falls/DQ/Forfeit for 72
1 major for 4
3 DEC for 9
1 DEC Loss for -3

Total of 82 as you said / 17 = 4.823

They did deduct 3 for his loss.

Here's the math: 60 + 4 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 82. 82/17 = 4.82. (10 falls = 60 points. 1 MD = 4. 4 decisions (3 wins, 1 loss) = 6 points. 1 forfeit = 6. 1 DQ =6.)

Edit: SpikingWhamos beat me to it.

Lee would he running away with it, if he had enough matches. Currently 5.25 pts/match.
By this metric, 2017 was Nolf's best year. He averaged 5.26 pts/match (14 falls, 8 TFs, 3 MDs, & 2 Ds, both over Kemerer).

I think you have your counts wrong, he's got 13 by bonus

12 falls/DQ/Forfeit for 72
1 major for 4
3 DEC for 9
1 DEC Loss for -3

Total of 82 as you said / 17 = 4.823

I was just going by Wrestle Stats Season Summary - they list his bonus rate at just under 65%. If your numbers are correct, his bonus rate would be 76.5% (13/17).

No argument here, not my circus, not my monkeys, etc

Understood.... wasn't trying to imply you were. Thanks for clarifying that for me - very helpful cuz I couldn't figure it out based on info I had and couldn't access Cass' full match results anywhere (most sites wanted a subscription for it).

Thanks again, very helpful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT