ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA D1 BOARD OF DIRECTORS NEW NIL GUIDELINES

PatMineo22

May 10, 2019
https://www.espn.com/college-sports...NVZMJA_XSl9n8XrFRkUNXgM5PS2KaSYB9paUcY5trs5ps

“NCAA Board of Directors published new guidelines Monday to clarify that boosters - including recently created companies designed to provide athletes with endorsement deals - should not have any contact with prospective college athletes, their family members or representatives.”

“The Division I Board of Directors said the NCAA could pursue sanctions against anyone who has egregiously violated these rules in the past 10 months since NIL rules were changed, but it is likely to focus more on issues that come up in the future.”

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...NVZMJA_XSl9n8XrFRkUNXgM5PS2KaSYB9paUcY5trs5ps

“NCAA Board of Directors published new guidelines Monday to clarify that boosters - including recently created companies designed to provide athletes with endorsement deals - should not have any contact with prospective college athletes, their family members or representatives.”

“The Division I Board of Directors said the NCAA could pursue sanctions against anyone who has egregiously violated these rules in the past 10 months since NIL rules were changed, but it is likely to focus more on issues that come up in the future.”
I didnt click on the link, just red what was in quotations….so how are any NIL deals supposed to get off the ground if the companies arent allowed to reach out to athletes?

There's no beef yet (i.e. the actual guidance). Only a press release that guidance has been sent. Right?

Reads ambiguous with respect to investigations, determinations, and enforcement.

I didnt click on the link, just red what was in quotations….so how are any NIL deals supposed to get off the ground if the companies arent allowed to reach out to athletes?
The key word is prospective. I take it to mean local companies could reach out to current PSU athletes, but couldn't yet contact someone like Levi until he's already enrolled. I assume this also means guys in the portal or thinking about the portal.

Reactions: Fatmarc and hlstone
Fast and hard?
Maybe a few years ago. Now I just turn on a strobe light and move my head around.
giphy.gif

Reactions: dunkej01
“Should” is the loophole that allows this to continue as checked or unchecked as desired. Ask @tikk10.
Well, it's not really a loophole because words like "shall" or "must" couldn't, as a matter of common sense, possibly appear in guidelines, which are merely clarification of existing rules. The rules didn't change, they're just explaining how they apply to NIL scenarios.

They're saying here that they're going to enforce existing rules both retroactively and going forward, but heavily caveat that by announcing their intent to focus on the most egregious examples. They implicitly concede that they're understaffed when they simultaneously reserve to themselves the right to "retroactively" enforce and announce that they're going to prioritize violations from this date out. "Retroactive" as used throughout here is a misnomer because the rules didn't change. I think Larry Lee and Iowa are probably safe, because I imagine enforcement-worthy "egregious" examples are ones where the transaction went entirely through.

ADVERTISEMENT