ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA champion discussion

rmg78

Feb 22, 2017
Just wanted to see what your thoughts would be: Other than our current 4, which wrestler on the roster or committed to PSU, will win the next individual title?

Ouch, tough call. Aaron Brooks might be the safest bet, but I'm not discounting Berge, Lee, Shak, AC, or Nick Nevills yet. RBY could certainly be in the mix sooner than expected too. I don't know if I can make this call this early in the season w/ so many new faces to wrestle their first match in the blue & white this fall.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Here comes a lot of ifs...

If raptor wins the starting job
If gable shirts
If raptor keeps the starting job through out

Then I would say he has a legit shot at being a champ this year.

What weight is Zahid going? I think Shak could give Myles a real good match and maybe win 184 if ZV stays down

Reactions: Dogwelder
Just wanted to see what your thoughts would be: Other than our current 4, which wrestler on the roster or committed to PSU, will win the next individual title?
If Nevills is 100% and wins the starter position over Cassar, he has a very good shot to be NC.

Brady Berge is my next bet.

Teske, Teasdale and RBY have got the definite potential, but need to see some marches against D1 wrestlers.

Reactions: Lyons212
I think Nick Lee is going to make a big jump this year. If his defense improves and he has added some more strength he is going to be very formidable. Can he win it all? I say yes . . . the Lee has been freed in the Nick of time to win the championship in 2019. Book it Danno.

Reactions: therod
Good topic for a slow time of year. I doubt many would have selected Cenzo a few years ago with Imar with a few years overlap.

Berge seems like the logical choice here. Give him a year to compete, 2nd-4th place this year. A few guys clear out and we still have 3-4 champs with Cenzo, Hall, Berge and some combo of Cassar, RBY, Brooks, etc....

What weight is Zahid going? I think Shak could give Myles a real good match and maybe win 184 if ZV stays down

Can't remember/find the source to link for you, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere last week that Zeke said, for this year:
1. Zahid's remaining at 174
2. Anthony's redshirting

Can't remember/find the source to link for you, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere last week that Zeke said, for this year:
1. Zahid's remaining at 174
2. Anthony's redshirting

Anthony already redshirted, as did Zahid.

If Nevills is healthy I think he has a really good shot at being an NCAA champ this season. Shak at 184 is also a possibility. Down the road, who knows, but Brooks would be a pretty good pick.

If Nevills is healthy I think he has a really good shot at being an NCAA champ this season. Shak at 184 is also a possibility. Down the road, who knows, but Brooks would be a pretty good pick.
Was perusing a few NCAA threads on HR this weekend (some sweet schadenfreude) and I had to laugh at their nickname “nevershootsnevills” as if their guy ever initiates offense. During the dual, it was supposedly a passive NN countering Stolls for the key TD when, in fact, Nick shot and was countering a counter.

Lots of conversation of Cenzo taking HGH and other inanity by a core group of chuckleheads. It’s like having 10 spykers on a board, but playing the role of angry, bitter, hypocritical ahole rather than lying sociopath.

D'oh! Sorry for the inaccurate post guys!

Was perusing a few NCAA threads on HR this weekend (some sweet schadenfreude) and I had to laugh at their nickname “nevershootsnevills” as if their guy ever initiates offense. During the dual, it was supposedly a passive NN countering Stolls for the key TD when, in fact, Nick shot and was countering a counter.

Lots of conversation of Cenzo taking HGH and other inanity by a core group of chuckleheads. It’s like having 10 spykers on a board, but playing the role of angry, bitter, hypocritical ahole rather than lying sociopath.

Perhaps they can change 'nevershootnevills' to 'nevershotnevills' :)

Keep in mind the population is taught coming out of the womb "heeeeeeeeessssss stttaaaaaaalllllin"

And, there's even a conspiracy theory, to boot, in the PSU roster thread. Someone thinks that Cael and Co. are putting up a smokescreen to keep people guessing.

D'oh! Sorry for the inaccurate post guys!

Happens when you get old. Insert devil emoticon here. :D

It maybe that OkieSpladle is correct re the Olympic redshirt in which case both Valencia's may still have a RS available.

Stoll should be re-nicknamed The Sheriff.

And then Turk should change his entrance song ...

Last edited:
And, there's even a conspiracy theory, to boot, in the PSU roster thread. Someone thinks that Cael and Co. are putting up a smokescreen to keep people guessing.

IMHO, Penn State fans to retain their sanity should refrain from reading HR. I know it works for me, although many that know me would question my sanity.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
IMHO, Penn State fans to retain their sanity should refrain from reading HR. I know it works for me, although many that know me would question my sanity.
Yep. And if you can't refrain from reading HR, I'd be overjoyed if you don't bring it over here.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Anthony's RS in 2015-16 was of the Olympic variety. He will indeed take a RS (regular version) this season.
Thanks Okie. What's your sense of where Zahid will go this year? And will you be writing for some other outlet this season now that you're no longer at OpenMat?

Thanks Okie. What's your sense of where Zahid will go this year? And will you be writing for some other outlet this season now that you're no longer at OpenMat?

On the podcast I'm doing with David Mirikitani he reported that Zahid would stay at 174 and I believe he got that from Lee Pritts (he said who he got it from on the episode, I just don't recall off hand). I'm going with that.

I'm probably not going to write much this season. The door is still open to freelance at TOM if I choose, but I'm looking forward to being a fan again so I may not do much. We'll have to see. I have one big project I'd like to get done, though I don't know what the timetable will be for that.

ADVERTISEMENT