ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA can be sued for NIL back pay

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
  • Wow
Reactions: step.eng69
A court ruled that atheletes that played before NIL was permitted are suing for back pay. (Apologies if previously posted) The compensation with damages could reach over $4 billion….which would bankrupt the NCAA.

I have a hard time believing that the NCAA will lose but they always seem to find a way. I am shocked that they can be sued. To me, it is like a 1982 NFL WR suing because they didn't get their bonus based on yards in a single season as compared to today. Or, a 1985 WR suing the HoF because they played under different rules.

How is this any different than someone suing an employer because they didn't get paid at the current minimum wage 30 years ago. They voluntarily entered into their scholarships at the time knowing the rules. Seems like this is doomed to fail.

Seems like a stretch to me. But the argument is that the NCAA illegally used the name, image, and likeness without their permission and made millions in profit. Don’t believe any waivers for such use were in the scholarship contract but I don’t know.

Seems crazy that this could succeed but being awarded class action status is a big move. And the judge in the case is the same judge that ruled against the NCAA previously.

Reactions: Westcoast24
A court ruled that atheletes that played before NIL was permitted are suing for back pay. (Apologies if previously posted) The compensation with damages could reach over $4 billion….which would bankrupt the NCAA.

Yup, all it takes now is one judge. Never mind the law. Never mind precedent...or facts...or common sense. Just find the right judge.

Loved the quote by that lawyer at the end of the story:

>>The problem with organizations like the NCAA deciding to fight until the last dog's dead is that sometimes they end up being the last dog.<<

Well, Even morally bankrupt and ethically bankrupt for decades. So then why should they not be bankrupt monetarily.

Who is the NCAA but ESPN, Fox, CBS?

It's a class action? $5 each to the athletes, $20M to the law firm.
There should be a cap on attorney fees in a class action. Say 10X the damages received by individual plaintiffs. It should NOT be determined by the judge, who is another attorney. That would end much of this BS.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Seems like a stretch to me. But the argument is that the NCAA illegally used the name, image, and likeness without their permission and made millions in profit. Don’t believe any waivers for such use were in the scholarship contract but I don’t know.

Seems crazy that this could succeed but being awarded class action status is a big move. And the judge in the case is the same judge that ruled against the NCAA previously.
"class action" means "lawyers will make the money while the aggrieved will make pennies". I'll be surprised if it is successful but class action means the following:
  • The court will try not to bankrupt the NCAA lest nobody get nothin
  • So if they win anything, it will be digestible to the NCAA and probably settled out of court
  • since it is a class action, there won't be accountability to the law firm(s) so they'll be racking up hours while golfing with the family over the holidays and such. Check for the meeting to be held in Boca or Palm Springs at the closest four seasons or ritz
  • If they win, the players will get a big fat check for $1.52 each after settlement, fees, and after it is diluted
  • I can't believe it will be successful but who knows in today's world

Bogus case in my book. They had no contract. The players agreed to play for nothing. I did not get paid to sit in the stands and watch the game.

Reactions: joeaubie21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT