ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling NCAA Bracket Reveal Thread

Man I am so bummed at Kerk losing to Cass in the last 20 seconds due mostly to a mental lapse.

It's just now beginning to sink in the impact of that match on both Bigs (cost us the title), but also Nationals.

Kirk wins and gets the #2 and likely a pretty clear path to a 2nd place finals finish. Now at the #4 both Cass and Parris get the gift of being on the other side from Gable. Unfortunately, one of them likely gets to the finals and not so coincidentally Iowa and Michigan are our two biggest rivals.

Sure Kerk will likely face one or the other for 3rd. So looking back if he had simply held on or released Cass for the escape we are looking at a very high probably of 2nd place points at heavy, ahead of both Iowa and Mich. Now there is a chance he gets 4th and we lose ground to both teams.

I seriously doubt Nationals will come down to less than 5 points, but it could prove a quarters match in Bigs determined the outcome of both tournaments.

PS - will Cael have him ready to rumble, absolutely! Can he beat Gable, sure, but that is probably a 3-4 out of a hundred possibility. Let's hope Kerk is a man on a mission, racks up the bonus points throughout and when called upon for the 3rd place match he wrestles aggressive and wins by 4-5 points going away.

Man I am so bummed at Kerk losing to Cass in the last 20 seconds due mostly to a mental lapse.

It's just now beginning to sink in the impact of that match on both Bigs (cost us the title), but also Nationals.

Kirk wins and gets the #2 and likely a pretty clear path to a 2nd place finals finish. Now at the #4 both Cass and Parris get the gift of being on the other side from Gable. Unfortunately, one of them likely gets to the finals and not so coincidentally Iowa and Michigan are our two biggest rivals.

Sure Kerk will likely face one or the other for 3rd. So looking back if he had simply held on or released Cass for the escape we are looking at a very high probably of 2nd place points at heavy, ahead of both Iowa and Mich. Now there is a chance he gets 4th and we lose ground to both teams.

I seriously doubt Nationals will come down to less than 5 points, but it could prove a quarters match in Bigs determined the outcome of both tournaments.

PS - will Cael have him ready to rumble, absolutely! Can he beat Gable, sure, but that is probably a 3-4 out of a hundred possibility. Let's hope Kerk is a man on a mission, racks up the bonus points throughout and when called upon for the 3rd place match he wrestles aggressive and wins by 4-5 points going away.
would rather Gable in the semis vs the finals when all or more lights are on and he'll be at another level

would rather Gable in the semis vs the finals when all or more lights are on and he'll be at another level
There is definitely something to be said for this, but Gable is also probably the single most unbeatable wrestler in the tournament, so it's not likely to matter. This sort of outlook applies more to Berge/Carr in round 2 where Carr is a clear favorite over Berge, but not necessarily an overwhelming favorite to crush all comers, no matter who or where in the draw, so an early meeting definitely gives Berge more of a chance than a finals matchup.

Who cares, though? I just want to see Kerk get a shot at Gable. It's going to be fun win or lose.

Reactions: hlstone
One could argue Steveson was better in the semis against Akgul than he was in the finals against Petriashvili.

Don't think it really matters for Steveson, which is why I'd want him as late as possible. But that doesn't matter now. Just get to him and let it fly.

He majored Kerk last year 11-3 and Kerk has beat him twice this year. I wouldn’t give last years results much credence.
Do you think Parris is the same guy as last year? If so, that means Kerk is quite a bit better since he beat him twice this year. And if Kerk is that much better then Cass must have improved a lot to beat Kerk twice. But you guys only use last years results when it helps you? I’m confused.
Well, Parris majored Kerk last year, but so did Cass. Cass to me dominated Kerk, not giving up a pt and was in complete control.

Kerk improved and adjusted this year. It worked against Parris. Tried stuff the first match against Cass and back to the drawing board, but still was close. He wasn’t dominated. Second time Kerk was in control the whole match except for the last 10 seconds.

I see a "major" improvement this year against Parris and Cass both, though it seems Kerk matches up better against Parris than Cass. Therefore I am using results from both years and I feel pretty good about Kerk next time he meets either guy, though imo all are good enough to beat each other on a given day.

Will be interesting to see if Parris is just a matchup issue for Cass or if we see a completely different match (with the new Cass) should they meet again.

There is definitely something to be said for this, but Gable is also probably the single most unbeatable wrestler in the tournament, so it's not likely to matter. This sort of outlook applies more to Berge/Carr in round 2 where Carr is a clear favorite over Berge, but not necessarily an overwhelming favorite to crush all comers, no matter who or where in the draw, so an early meeting definitely gives Berge more of a chance than a finals matchup.

Who cares, though? I just want to see Kerk get a shot at Gable. It's going to be fun win or lose.
So the last images from the 2022 Championships will be Gable ragdolling Cass - I like it.

Well, Parris majored Kerk last year, but so did Cass. Cass to me dominated Kerk, not giving up a pt and was in complete control.

Kerk improved and adjusted this year. It worked against Parris. Tried stuff the first match against Cass and back to the drawing board, but still was close. He wasn’t dominated. Second time Kerk was in control the whole match except for the last 10 seconds.

I see a "major" improvement this year against Parris and Cass both, though it seems Kerk matches up better against Parris than Cass. Therefore I am using results from both years and I feel pretty good about Kerk next time he meets either guy, though imo all are good enough to beat each other on a given day.

Will be interesting to see if Parris is just a matchup issue for Cass or if we see a completely different match (with the new Cass) should they meet again.
I don’t disagree. Kerk impressed me against Parris both times. But Cass has obviously improved as well so assuming Cass will get pinned by Parris because he did it last year is wishful thinking IMO. That was why I responded the way I did.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I don’t disagree. Kerk impressed me against Parris both times. But Cass has obviously improved as well so assuming Cass will get pinned by Parris because he did it last year is wishful thinking IMO. That was why I responded the way I did.

I agree. Cass seems much improved. You always say wait till someone beats the other (Kerk vs Cass or Cass vs Parris) before you say they are the favorite, but just like with Kerk, I wouldn't be betting against Cass vs Parris either, despite previous pins. Just the feeling I get having watched all season. Will be fun to watch.

Aaron's a 1-seed in my mind/heart too, assuming that's the reason you said five 1 seeds. :)

Well 5 finalists anyway. I do believe PSU will have 5 finalists and a minimum of 6, and as many as 8, AAs. No other team can match PSU's firepower in this regard. Other teams could match it at B1Gs, but will not be able to at Nationals.

Do agree with you that Cass is a different, and better, wrestler this year (much better offensively against top-end guys imho). He seemed to struggle a bit early - maybe it was an adjustment to a different style, but he's looked really good the latter part of the season.

I have not looked at brackets in detail. Just reading the comments. I think the seeds our wrestlers got are pretty fair. The one issue I have is what seed they gave Hildy. Once he started the season and got a few matches in he was top 10. In addition he is a returning AA. Sure he wrestled a bad first match. He caught a bad draw where he hit a kid that is maybe top 5 in the country in wrestlebacks. I just don't think he should of dropped to 16. If he was dinged it almost makes you wonder if he would have been better to take MMF against McKee. I was wondering what some thoughts are from the guys that know the dynamics of what the seeding committee looks at ???
To follow up on what I commented about and Hildy low seed. I read article where Cael commented about his disappointment with the seed also. He commented the need to make change to system where some common sense is used to determine seeds.

To follow up on what I commented about and Hildy low seed. I read article where Cael commented about his disappointment with the seed also. He commented the need to make change to system where some common sense is used to determine seeds.
Common sense

Infinity

NCAA

Maybe they're starting to use Urbie's ' eye test '

I am bummed also, but mostly bummed for Kerkvliet. Penn State would have had a realistic shot of placing six in the finals, which I believe would have been a Penn State record. I think it will be a moot point anyway, as I feel Penn State won't need those additional points from Kerkvliet. Unfortunately though, having Kerkvliet meet Gable in the semis is going to hurt Penn State's gaudy record in NCAA semifinal matches.

This is far from an impartial, objective view:

125:
Hildebrandt beats Noto but then loses to Suriano. He beats the loser of Surtin/Teske and the winner of Schroder/Shawver. He then beats Barnett and avenges his SV loss to D’Augustino. He beats Courtney in the consolation semifinal but then loses to Glory and takes 4th Place.

133:
RBY beats LaJoie, Koderhandt, Foley, ADS and Fix. Champion.

141:
Lee beats Cedeno, D’Emilio, Hart, Woods and SeaBass. Champion.

149:
Bartlett beats Realbuto and then loses to Sasso. He then beats Thomas, avenges his SV losses to MVB but then loses to Lovett in the R12.

157:
Berge beats Willits but loses to Carr. He then beats Sheets, avenges his SV loss to Lewan, beats Franek, Robb and Scott but loses to Teemer. 4th Place.

165:
N/A.

174:
CStar beats O’Neill, Incontrera, Labriola, Hidlay and Lewis. Champion. He’ll have certainly earned it with that path.

184:
Brooks beats Burkhart, Bolen, Venz, Hidlay and Amine. Champion.

197:
Dean beats Feldcamp, Norfleet, Caffey, Brucki and Shultz. Champion.

HWT:

Kerk beats Metz, Orndorf and Lance. He loses to Steveson and then beats Wood and Parris. 3rd place.

The above totals 140.5 points without bonus.

I see significant bonus points coming from RBY, Lee, CStar’s first two matches, Brooks, Dean and Kerk. Kerk especially can load up on the bonus; no need to worry about his seed - after losing to Steveson, he’ll face a guy in the consi semis that’s he’s bonused before.

I can see it getting as high as 166.5 points with bonus.

Last edited:
In my previous post, I had Penn State at 140.5 before bonus. I have Michigan at 88.5 and Iowa (hurt by injuries) at 81.5.

I freely admit this is not impartial and objective.

Michigan:

125:
Suriano beats Ashton, Hildebrandt, McKee, Courtney and Arujau. Champion.

133:
Ragusin beats Hines and the winner of Turner/Olivieri but then loses to McGee. He then beats Ramos but loses to Byrd and Myers. 8th place.

141:
Micic loses to Hart but then beats Young, Carlson and Jack. He loses to Alirez. R12 and I’m shocked I have him getting that far.

149:
N/A

157:
Lewan beats Jacques but then loses to Young. He beats Barton but then loses to Berge. R16.

165:
Amine beats Wilson and Olejnik but then loses to Marinelli. He then beats Yant but loses to O’Toole and Hall. 8th place.

174:
Massa beats Nolan, Foca and Plott but then loses to Lewis. He beats Labriola and loses to Hidlay. 4th place.

184:
Amine beats Jessen, Geer, Braunagel and Keckeisen but then loses to Brooks. 2nd place.

197:
Brucki beats Smith, Wooley and the survivor of Bonaccorsi/Sloan/Hoffman. He then loses to Dean. He beats the Caffey/Wooley victor in the consolation semifinal but then loses to Elam. 4th place.

285:
Parris beats Goldin, Traxler and Schultz before losing to Cass. He then beats Traxler again before losing to Kerk. 4th place.

The above is 88.5 points before bonus.

Last edited:
Iowa:

Again; I make no claim that this is impartial and without bias.

My Iowa picks are also influenced by how limited I thought some looked at Big Tens due to injuries.

125:
Ayala beats Gutierrez but then loses to Courtney. He then beats Prata but loses to Heinselman. R16.

133:
ADS beats Flores, Phillippi and Myers before losing to RBY. He then beats Byrd and McGee. 3rd place.

141:
Eierman beats Gil, Jack and Bergeland before losing to SeaBass. He then loses to Red and beats Bergeland. 5th place.

149:
Murin beats Munson and Gfeller before losing to Yianni. He beats Heil and Parco but loses to Gomez and then Lovett. 6th place.

157:
Young beats Zapf and Lewan before losing to Carr. He beats OConnor but then loses to Humphreys. He beats Robb. 7th place.

165:
Marinelli beats Barczak, McCoy, Amine and the Kharchla/O’Toole victor before losing to Wick. 2nd place.

174:
Kemerer beats Pasiuk and DeVos but loses to Hidlay. He beats Lautt but loses to Labriola. He beats Smith. 7th place.

184:
Assad loses to Bolen, beats Burkhart and then loses to Geer.

197:
Warner beats Clothier and Penola before losing to Schultz and then Norfleet. R12.

285:
Cass beats Heindselman, the Surber/Luffman winner, Wood and Parris before losing to Steveson. 2nd place.

The above is 81.5 points before bonus.

Reactions: hlstone
Correct, and as it turns out, (assuming both win 1st match) if Carr beats them both the HTH between BB and KY will immediately determine who finishes higher lol.

How bout $25 on team score?

Lets donate to the WC’s this time?
Hey Brother: Wanted to catch up and pay my debt to your wrestling club. Both Berge and Young sucked equally so let's call that a draw. Young scored 1/2 point more, but still he sucked just as bad. LOL. So I owe $25 plus $10 H2H. Since we pretty much sucked, there wasn't much H2H to be had, but it looks like you won H2H at 33 and 97. Did I miss anything. Please let me know. And please shoot me a link to the club so I can pay my debt. Great job by PSU! Once again Cael and company had them ready to go!

This is far from an impartial, objective view:

125:
Hildebrandt beats Noto but then loses to Suriano. He beats the loser of Surtin/Teske and the winner of Schroder/Shawver. He then beats Barnett and avenges his SV loss to D’Augustino. He beats Courtney in the consolation semifinal but then loses to Glory and takes 4th Place.

133:
RBY beats LaJoie, Koderhandt, Foley, ADS and Fix. Champion.

141:
Lee beats Cedeno, D’Emilio, Hart, Woods and SeaBass. Champion.

149:
Bartlett beats Realbuto and then loses to Sasso. He then beats Thomas, avenges his SV losses to MVB but then loses to Lovett in the R12.

157:
Berge beats Willits but loses to Carr. He then beats Sheets, avenges his SV loss to Lewan, beats Franek, Robb and Scott but loses to Teemer. 4th Place.

165:
N/A.

174:
CStar beats O’Neill, Incontrera, Labriola, Hidlay and Lewis. Champion. He’ll have certainly earned it with that path.

184:
Brooks beats Burkhart, Bolen, Venz, Hidlay and Amine. Champion.

197:
Dean beats Feldcamp, Norfleet, Caffey, Brucki and Shultz. Champion.

HWT:

Kerk beats Metz, Orndorf and Lance. He loses to Steveson and then beats Wood and Parris. 3rd place.

The above totals 140.5 points without bonus.

I see significant bonus points coming from RBY, Lee, CStar’s first two matches, Brooks, Dean and Kerk. Kerk especially can load up on the bonus; no need to worry about his seed - after losing to Steveson, he’ll face a guy in the consi semis that’s he’s bonused before.

I can see it getting as high as 166.5 points with bonus.
131.5 but close overall imo,

LOL here you go men just checked wrestle stat new ranking that have 2 champs ranked 2nd and Parris is till 2nd and Kerk 3!!WTF

Hey Brother: Wanted to catch up and pay my debt to your wrestling club. Both Berge and Young sucked equally so let's call that a draw. Young scored 1/2 point more, but still he sucked just as bad. LOL. So I owe $25 plus $10 H2H. Since we pretty much sucked, there wasn't much H2H to be had, but it looks like you won H2H at 33 and 97. Did I miss anything. Please let me know. And please shoot me a link to the club so I can pay my debt. Great job by PSU! Once again Cael and company had them ready to go!
Thanks for checking in, im hoping someone will see this and post that link, Im too stupid to figure out how. See you in November!

Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT