ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA announces major changes for basketball players

I thought players could already dabble w/ the draft and return to college play if they wanted to. Has this whole FBI investigation even ended yet? Certainly doesn't seem like UNC has missed a beat.

I thought players could already dabble w/ the draft and return to college play if they wanted to. Has this whole FBI investigation even ended yet? Certainly doesn't seem like UNC has missed a beat.

College players must withdrawal before the draft to stay eligible. Now it appears that they can see if they get drafted, and if not, return to college.

Last edited:
And now these players can have 'agents'? 'Grandpa' Al Lewis (a la Munsters) is rolling over in his grave.

And now these players can have 'agents'? 'Grandpa' Al Lewis (a la Munsters) is rolling over in his grave.

But only ones that the NCAA approves. Bureaucracy perpetuating itself and creating more opportunities for corruption.

Pay the kids already and get this charade over with!

Reactions: bison13
Gets even better. The NCAA "assigned" the task of determining which high school players can sign with agent. to USABasketball. Only hitch is that USABB didn't agree to do this and doesn't have the resources.

This has the makings of a clusterfvck. How major remains to be seen.

Hilarious. They’re creating rules that have to be approved by the NBA and USABB to take effect, but never got their approval. The NCAA leadership is such a joke.

FYI, tomorrow I will be announcing my new delivery time and pricing rules with Amazon. I haven’t discussed this with Amazon yet, but expect the press release announcing my new rules shortly.

Reactions: krichards
  • All players who get invited to the NBA Combine but go undrafted will have the option to return to their former school.
  • Elite prospects will now be allowed to have official relationships with agents. This applies to high schoolers and college athletes alike. USA Basketball, in conjunction with the NCAA, will be tasked with identifying which prospects in a given class are "elite." In regard to high school athletes, however, the rules will not go into effect until the NBA changes its current age-limit rule.

This is stupid. Why just players invited to the combine? Why does a player need to be classified as "elite"? Should just be any kid that graduated high school is eligible for the draft. Whether or not they get drafted, they can choose to attend or stay in college or sign a pro contract. All kids should be able to have a relationship with an agent, as long as the agent is on a list of agents not affiliated (pulling strings for) with any particular school.

Interesting....heard on morning sports talk that LeBron James' kid is in talks with Nike to be paid sponsorship money while he plays for a private high school in CA. The thinking is that the kid will never play college ball (NBA or Euro right out of HS). Since the HS is private, they may have no need to assure the kids are amateurs (unlike the NCAA). If a High School kid is making money, who cares? So that allows him to also hire an agent.

Crazy times.

Listened to Calipari last night say that once a player decides to get an agent or enter the draft, he will likely make an additional scholarship offer. Therefore, they may not have an available scholarship left to give to the undrafted player desiring to return. What happens then?

Listened to Calipari last night say that once a player decides to get an agent or enter the draft, he will likely make an additional scholarship offer. Therefore, they may not have an available scholarship left to give to the undrafted player desiring to return. What happens then?

The undrafted player transfers.

Becoming more and more obvious that the Idiots of Indianapolis didn't give this a whole lot of thought

What about freshman and sophomore NCAA football players? Why cant they go pro as well??

Because the NFL has rules preventing them from doing so. But I'm sure that the NCAA will unilaterally fix that in short order.

The undrafted player transfers.

Becoming more and more obvious that the Idiots of Indianapolis didn't give this a whole lot of thought
Sounds like a mess. Wouldn’t the undrafted player have to sit out a year if he were to transfer?

I dont get why they cant use the baseball or hockey models for pro sports. Make one universal decision for all of NCAA sports and thats it.

I think Calipari is being a bit deceptive. I guarantee that if he has an NBA caliber played who wants to explore his options and later decides to stay in school, he will move mountains including withdrawing an offer to an unknown to keep the original player.

Apparently the "return to school" rule will only benefit a small percentage of players.

I think Calipari is being a bit deceptive. I guarantee that if he has an NBA caliber played who wants to explore his options and later decides to stay in school, he will move mountains including withdrawing an offer to an unknown to keep the original player.

If the player is "NBA caliber" he's getting drafted so the issue is moot in this case.

Calipari, like virtually all coaches at his level, is a control freak. Control freaks don't like people messing with their teams. A player going and coming back is messing bigly. He wants to go, Cal will make him gone.

Elite prospects will now be allowed to have official relationships with agents. This applies to high schoolers and college athletes alike. USA Basketball, in conjunction with the NCAA, will be tasked with identifying which prospects in a given class are "elite." In regard to high school athletes, however, the rules will not go into effect until the NBA changes its current age-limit rule.
I wonder what the states think about this new rule that HS players can have a relationship with agents.

I wonder what the states think about this new rule that HS players can have a relationship with agents.

I wonder what the NCAA was thinking when it promulgated this rule. That it can vet a group of agents that are so virtuous that none will offer kids material enticement to sign with them? Yeah, and Mark Emmert has virgin lips.

No doubt. I realize the NCAA thinks it has all the powers of a real government but it doesn't. It's still bound by real laws like this one.

PA LAW - Title 18, Sec. 7107

Laws like that were written at the behest of colleges for obvious reasons. So now they're going to have to be amended to differentiate between athletes that the NCAA says can have agents and those that can't? Oh, yeah, those laws will stand up in court.

Reactions: stormingnorm
The NCAA fully disclaimed at the agent stuff required law changes first.
Law changes or rule changes? From what I read they need the NBA and the NBPA to change the rules in the CBA to allow players to be drafted after they complete high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT