ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Playoff Thread

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
I’ll start a new thread on Day 2 and onward if warranted.

Bucks over Heat 109-107 in OT. Great finish. Miami tied it with a second-chance 3 with :20 left and then Kris Middleton makes a totally contested shot from the elbow, great defense not good enough. Nothing. But. Net. Wow, I had forgotten about the playoffs and turn it on in time to catch these last twenty seconds of the first game. I live the best life.

Reactions: brupsu and rudedude
The stars are out tonight in South Philly! Embid, Simmons & Harris are all being assertive and aggressive. If they can play like this throughout the playoffs, they can win it all.

That Celtics - Nets game was fun. I despise both teams but Tatum was amazing (as a Sixers fan that hurt to type) as was Durant & Harden.

Great to see Kyrie talk a bunch of noise about Boston fans only to come up small. Celtic fans on point chanting “F*€k You Kyrie” all night long.

Time to flip to the Mavericks - Clippers. Hoping the Clippers get swept. Doncic is amazing

I'm starting to think that the Suns may be one big fraud. I hope not, but it would not shock me to see the Lakers close it out in six games, tops.

My Knicks. Julius Randle MIP, Most Improved Player during the season to Missing in Playoffs. Knicks have no real offense so not surprised at all. Good luck to teams that have to face the Sixers Bucks or Nets.

I'm starting to think that the Suns may be one big fraud. I hope not, but it would not shock me to see the Lakers close it out in six games, tops.
Wont call them a fraud, but they are just not a #2 seed. Murray out for Nuggets and Bron/Davis for Lakers plus Kawhi and load management so really the Suns should be a 4/5 seed playing LAC or Dal.

Reactions: Barbar1
My Knicks. Julius Randle MIP, Most Improved Player during the season to Missing in Playoffs. Knicks have no real offense so not surprised at all. Good luck to teams that have to face the Sixers Bucks or Nets.
You have to admit that the Hawks are a fun team to watch. They are an amazing passing team.

That Celtics - Nets game was fun. I despise both teams but Tatum was amazing (as a Sixers fan that hurt to type) as was Durant & Harden.

Great to see Kyrie talk a bunch of noise about Boston fans only to come up small. Celtic fans on point chanting “F*€k You Kyrie” all night long.

Time to flip to the Mavericks - Clippers. Hoping the Clippers get swept. Doncic is amazing

Tatum was terrific, but he is not getting enough help to win this series (Kemba not doing much, bench not scoring, and Jalen Brown out with injury).

Synergy Basketball

@SynergySST

Jayson Tatum scored 31 points in isolation situations in Boston's Game 3 win, one of the highest marks in modern league history.

Adios to the Miami Bubble Frauds....

Bucks Twitter trolling the Heat hard

Last edited:
What is a winter sport doing in summer? NBA and NHL are going out of season.

I'm watching the NCAA LAX finals instead.

Reactions: LionJim
Well this Lakers - Suns series just got interesting. Series tied at 2 - 2 and Chris Paul somehow seems as healthy as ever and now AD is out with a groin strain.
Imagine that, Anthony Davis, who falls down yelling "and 1" after practically every missed shot in paint, hurts himself on a non-contact fall. After 35 free throws in Games 2 and 3, I think he had 2 in the first half today before the injury.

Reactions: jmorovich
Nets taking it to the Celtics 88- 70 in the 3rd and up 2-1 in games. Always nice to see the Celtics lose but was hoping they’d give the Nets more of a series.

The skill level of these NBA players, esp. in the playoffs, is amazing. Just a few observations about what we are seeing:
  • More players can shoot from 3-pt, and 30-ft shots are not very unusual
  • Even the big players have become better ball handlers and passers
  • Offensive moves like the back step, side step, and jab steps have become more refined; recall it wasn't long ago that Dirk Nowitzki's fadeaway was almost unique
  • More players have a really good floater from 8-ft and in
  • More high scoring games

The skill level of these NBA players, esp. in the playoffs, is amazing. Just a few observations about what we are seeing:
  • More players can shoot from 3-pt, and 30-ft shots are not very unusual
  • Even the big players have become better ball handlers and passers
  • Offensive moves like the back step, side step, and jab steps have become more refined; recall it wasn't long ago that Dirk Nowitzki's fadeaway was almost unique
  • More players have a really good floater from 8-ft and in
  • More high scoring games
Most of these guys are identified early and trained from pre puberty. Even just 20 years ago if you were 6'7" or taller you were told to stay close to the basket and learn post moves. Now those guys are spending hours a day ball handling and shooting from 20'

This Blazers Nuggets game is FUN! Can’t wait for this second half to start. Daim is just unreal.

I didn't switch to it until the US - Honduras MSOC match was over, so I've only seen the last couple of the minutes of the 3rd quarter, and the 4th quarter (1:23 left as I key this in). What a great stretch of BB. And hats off to Denver. I was hoping this series went to 7 games, but it appears that Denver is about to win it in 6.

I didn't switch to it until the US - Honduras MSOC match was over, so I've only seen the last couple of the minutes of the 3rd quarter, and the 4th quarter (1:23 left as I key this in). What a great stretch of BB. And hats off to Denver. I was hoping this series went to 7 games, but it appears that Denver is about to win it in 6.
The wheels feel off for Portland late in the 3rd. They were up by like 14 in the 3rd at one point. Really curious what’s gonna happen with that team. Daim is never gonna win there. It sucks that we don’t get to see him past the first round ever. That teams seems to have a bunch of talent but just can’t ever put it together.

Wont call them a fraud, but they are just not a #2 seed. Murray out for Nuggets and Bron/Davis for Lakers plus Kawhi and load management so really the Suns should be a 4/5 seed playing LAC or Dal.
The injury to Anthony Davis really turned this series on its head. It looked like the Suns were going to fold, but with Davis going down, it all changed. The Lakers just cannot compete without him, Lebron notwithstanding. I don't see the Suns getting to the Conference Finals, much less the Finals, but I'm glad to see them take out the Lakers.

Reactions: bison13
The injury to Anthony Davis really turned this series on its head. It looked like the Suns were going to fold, but with Davis going down, it all changed. The Lakers just cannot compete without him, Lebron notwithstanding. I don't see the Suns getting to the Conference Finals, much less the Finals, but I'm glad to see them take out the Lakers.
Lakers 2 wins came with CP3 playing with 1 arm in games 2 and 3, and Davis shooting a slightly abnormal 35 free throws. PHX was 4-0 in games CP3 had 2 arms.
Suns were 1-2 vs Denver in regular season, losing 1 game in OT and another in 2OT because they could not stop Murray. Last I checked Murray is out rehabbing ACL. MVP Joker will face an improved Ayton.

Reactions: bison13
Lakers 2 wins came with CP3 playing with 1 arm in games 2 and 3, and Davis shooting a slightly abnormal 35 free throws. PHX was 4-0 in games CP3 had 2 arms.
Suns were 1-2 vs Denver in regular season, losing 1 game in OT and another in 2OT because they could not stop Murray. Last I checked Murray is out rehabbing ACL. MVP Joker will face an improved Ayton.
Denver does have Michael Porter, who is an athletic freak, a 6’10” David Thompson.

Denver does have Michael Porter, who is an athletic freak, a 6’10” David Thompson.
Porter was an absolute steal in that 2018 draft. He was the #2 or #3 prospect in his high school class and a top 3 draft talent that fell to 14 because of injury concerns. Your typical high risk high reward pick and the Nuggets nailed it. I bet the Knicks, for example, wish they could have a do over having taken Kevin Knox at 9.

I haven't watched much basketball in the last two or three years but I flipped on this game for five minutes last night. I was shocked to see the lack of athletes on LA's roster. LBJ, still the best player on the court, is nowhere near top performance (injuries? age?). Gasol, Drummond and the rest were clear liabilities when trying to cover the wings.

Both teams in the finals lost in the first round this season. And last year's finals ended on Oct. 11th.

Porter was an absolute steal in that 2018 draft. He was the #2 or #3 prospect in his high school class and a top 3 draft talent that fell to 14 because of injury concerns. Your typical high risk high reward pick and the Nuggets nailed it. I bet the Knicks, for example, wish they could have a do over having taken Kevin Knox at 9.
yeah...but hindsight is 20-20. Kid had both knee and back problems before the draft. he also had some "character issues". He recently said that COVID was the govt trying to control populations. We'll see how long he lasts but I guess Kyrie is putting together a pretty good career.

yeah...but hindsight is 20-20. Kid had both knee and back problems before the draft. he also had some "character issues". He recently said that COVID was the govt trying to control populations. We'll see how long he lasts but I guess Kyrie is putting together a pretty good career.
Kyrie surprised me this year. I didn’t think he’d be able to control his tendency towards destructive weirdness, but by all indications he’s held that in good check.

ADVERTISEMENT