ADVERTISEMENT

Nat duals are back!

At Northwest Florida state the week before Xmas? Is this actually some kind of scheme to have the lowest attendance possible and then say “I told you so” to all the people who think duals are better?

Reactions: tewlepz
Did you see Ban Basketball's comments to Willie? I'm guessing that will be his last post. LOL.

331-3313431_captain-obvious.png

(Note, Ban's f-bomb appears on Intermat. BWI auto-spiked it.)

ban basketball (1) 35 minutes ago
Florida, for God's sake!? Bring it on back home here to the UNI Dome, which was THE best and only place to hold the event.

It's like having hockey in the south. Play the sports where they play them well and where the sport comes from.

The Du (1) 31 minutes ago
you don't stop whining, do ya? btw a team from Florida one the last two stanley cups, ya dinkus.

ban basketball (1) 23 minutes ago
The Du (Uncle Festus),

How about you go **** yisself, and thanks for showing me the asshole that you are, which is why I won't be renewing my membership with you, boy.

I thought for sure this was going to hosted by Stanford with Cornell and Minnesota attending and contested as a tri-meet.
Oh well, I guessed wrong.

Last edited:

Florida, for God's sake!? Bring it on back home here to the UNI Dome, which was THE best and only place to hold the event.

It's like having hockey in the south. Play the sports where they play them well and where the sport comes from.

you don't stop whining, do ya? btw a team from Florida one the last two stanley cups, ya dinkus.

The Du (Uncle Festus),

How about you go **** yisself, and thanks for showing me the asshole that you are, which is why I won't be renewing my membership with you, boy.

Ban is probably a miserable person in real life too. I pitty his dog. Must get kicked a lot.

i'm pretty sure Penn St. and OK State are going to dual. both were in talks about national duals and then said 'no'.

the only two important omissions from the field. (not criticizing...coaches know best)

but i'm almost positive those two schools got something cooking together. idk if that would be at or near the same dates as Natl Duals

i'm pretty sure Penn St. and OK State are going to dual. both were in talks about national duals and then said 'no'.

the only two important omissions from the field. (not criticizing...coaches know best)

but i'm almost positive those two schools got something cooking together. idk if that would be at or near the same dates as Natl Duals
The Scuffle? It's 10d later and both teams typically participate.

the worst wrestling fans in the sport are the ones that don't care or acknowledge anything their team doesn't compete at.

they aren't wrestling fans; they're fans of a school.
Pffft. And your point is???:p That’s 90% of sports fans. While I love wrestling, if PSU, USA Wrestling or a particular individual I’m intereseted in isn’t competing, I’m probably doing some other activity as opposed to watching the TV.

Reactions: aalion

The Du (Uncle Festus),

The internet is considering a Ban ban. No more of this piecemeal stuff.

the worst wrestling fans in the sport are the ones that don't care or acknowledge anything their team doesn't compete at.

they aren't wrestling fans; they're fans of a school.
I agree. That said you have to admit it’s not much of a National duals without PSU. Sure it’s a nice little dual tournament that Iowa will roll through. I’ll watch.

People are going to have to accept that Cael already killed the National Duals, and it’s not coming back to life unless Cael brings it back.

I agree. That said you have to admit it’s not much of a National duals without PSU. Sure it’s a nice little dual tournament that Iowa will roll through. I’ll watch.

People are going to have to accept that Cael already killed the National Duals, and it’s not coming back to life unless Cael brings it back.
Plus we already have the national duals. It’s called the BIG regular season. I mean honestly, how many times are we gonna make the same kids wrestle each other? I think that’s part of Cael’s argument against it as well.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
I mean, it's 8 of the Top 10. tough to do much better. And you might be surprised to learn that the entire convo was started by Cael who wanted to make it happen. Without him starting the dialogue this wouldn't have happened. He pulled out for some reason. Not sure why, and I don't blame him (or Coach Smith).

but when fans say "oh, no penn state? not interested" it's kinda weird and definitely juvenile. nat'l duals coming back is good for college wrestling. Will be one of most important and viewed events of year.

I mean, it's 8 of the Top 10. tough to do much better. And you might be surprised to learn that the entire convo was started by Cael who wanted to make it happen. Without him starting the dialogue this wouldn't have happened. He pulled out for some reason. Not sure why, and I don't blame him (or Coach Smith).

but when fans say "oh, no penn state? not interested" it's kinda weird and definitely juvenile. nat'l duals coming back is good for college wrestling. Will be one of most important and viewed events of year.
I've been on Rokfin because the analysis (obviously yours but also many other great content creators) is just the best but if live events like this become a regular staple .... I suspect it won't be long until it completely overtakes Flo.

It will be a good event with lots of good wrestling. I’m excited for it.

The problem is in the name. It’s not a National duals without PSU and OSU. Fun dual tournament though.

From my perspective, I’d rather see PSU wrestle teams like UNC, NC St, VaTech, OSU ( understand that might already be set), OU, Cornell -challenging teams outside of the conference. Again, wrestling the same kids/teams repeatedly during the same season just doesn’t make sense to me.

Reactions: diggerpup
From my perspective, I’d rather see PSU wrestle teams like UNC, NC St, VaTech, OSU ( understand that might already be set), OU, Cornell -challenging teams outside of the conference. Again, wrestling the same kids/teams repeatedly during the same season just doesn’t make sense to me.
wrestling more duals outside the conference was a thing all of the coaches who accepted liked about the format.

It will be a good event with lots of good wrestling. I’m excited for it.

The problem is in the name. It’s not a National duals without PSU and OSU. Fun dual tournament though.
i get it, but the old 'national duals' had the same problem and you can ask/invite all major players but not guarantee they'll accept every year. no real solution to that.

You can see why coaches get upset at cael and psu when stories like this come out.

I'm sure he has his reasons. I'm sure they are in psu best interest.

That said if cael revives the nat duals AND saves the scuffle with smith.....he should finally be sainted

I'll be interested to see how much weight or importance this event will hold for the coaches. Still feel a lot of great individual matchups don't happen in these times because of coaches protecting seeds . Will we see that happen here?

i get it, but the old 'national duals' had the same problem and you can ask/invite all major players but not guarantee they'll accept every year. no real solution to that.
You know there’s a solution, you just don’t like the solution.

Did people not read the article?

Only the top 2 teams from each conference were invited. (EIWA got 3 teams because SoCon declined altogether.) The only 2 teams in the entire event that PSU regularly faces are Iowa and Lehigh.

Then they're separated into 4 pools, with no intra-conference matches within each pool.

PSU's pool would've included 2 teams. One would've been NC State, VT, Missouri, or Cornell. The other team might have been one of them, or Central Michigan, Oregon State, or Hofstra.

So PSU would've had 4 matches with at most only one being a B10 opponent (Iowa), and even then only if both reached the finals (or both lost in the semis).

Other concerns are understandable: wanting another Rec Hall match; possible trade-off vs. the Scuffle, proximity to finals week, etc. Maybe not wanting to face Iowa yet again. But B10 overload is not a valid concern. This would've added at least 3, maybe 4 good non-conference opponents.

Obviously Suriano is coming back to PSU and his camp didn’t want to see OSU in another dual in a format anything like this.

🤫

Seems like a lot of angst around here for this. It's not 8 of the top 10, it's 5 of them. It's just a fun tournament in a different format that the Scuffle etc. I guess branding it National Duals is the problem. If it said South Beach Duals like a couple of years ago we might look at it and say....nice lineup!. There is some good wrestling to be had and maybe the wrestlers get to check out some sand in the panhandle.

Reactions: hlstone
I guess branding it National Duals is the problem.
lol.

branding is not the problem. participation is (and always will be).

if psu was in the field and iowa wasn't, what would be your position then?

there wasn't an asterisk at Cadet Worlds b/c Japan wasn't there. There wasn't an asterisk at NCAA's b/c Cornell wasn't there.

Reactions: diggerpup
if that's what he means that's ridiculous. duals as the national title is the dumbest idea ever. the only people that want that are people that hope there are crazy circumstances that lead to upsets - as opposed the an actual best method of determining a champ.

National Duals are good for what it is and can be. And moving the date really changed the game and allows for almost no excuses to participate. But as a national title - gimme a freakin break.

i hope that's not what Crablegs meant, b/c that's a sissy ass perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT