ADVERTISEMENT

Naomi Osaka refusing post match interviews at French Open ...

It isn't lack of empathy. It is part of her job. If I told my employer, I don't like this aspect of my job that is in my job description or it is creating stress and negatively my mental health so I can't do it, rest assured it would be deemed that I cannot perform in that position, which is true. I am saying that. Certain accommodations may be provided such as as counselling services, but inevitably I would be placed in another position. In effect, she is saying that she cannot fulfill her contractual obligations on the professional tennis tour. So, maybe she needs a break to care of yourself rather than having the stress of talking to the media after losing a tennis match.

So, how about Franklin saying that he is no longer going to talk to the media after a loss because it negatively impacts his mental health. Is that okay?
I have to talk to the media as part of my job. I don’t like it, but I have to do it. I even received training when I got the promotion. Sometimes it’s part of what you have to do.

Reactions: psu00

“I am not a natural public speaker and get huge waves of anxiety before I speak to the world's media," she said. "I get really nervous and find it stressful to always try and engage and give [the media] the best answers I can.”

Screw that. We pay her to give us answers.

o_O

I applaud the young woman for prioritizing her self-care and doing what was necessary for her mental health. The lack of empathy displayed by numerous posters here, while sad, is unsurprising. Despite it being 2021, widespread ignorance about depression and anxiety is more the norm than the exception in our society. Hopefully, we have made some progress in this area, but have a long way to go.
It’s not an empathy issue. If she has depression issues then I’m sure everyone supports her getting any help she needs. If she had said that, no one would have questioned it.

The responses were a direct result of her own statements- not needing to answer questions or deal with people who ‘doubt her’ followed later by this is change and the only reason people are upset is because they don’t like change.

The second caused more controversy, resulting in a reprimand letter from the Aussie Open, US Open, Roland Garros, and Wimbledon because it suggested she doesn’t need to follow the rules the other players do and there’s no legit reason to question her over this. It ignored there are sometimes responsibilities that come with the job- some of which you may not like or find difficult.

The depression issue was not stated until late today after receiving the reprimand letter from the major tournaments yesterday.

Last edited:
She should go to the Kyle Busch school of talking to the media when you don’t want to.

I am a fan of neither sports journalists nor fans that are out of control. But it’s rather stunning that we have athletes taking the position and in some cases (cough cough nba) actually saying it’s not about the fans.

Reactions: bison13
no, it really isn't. the reporters asking questions are just a parasitic appendage to the sport. They aren't paying the bills and nobody watches the pressers. The sport does not exist without the athlete. She has the upper hand here

reporters asking questions date back to the time before TV. They preceded radio cast and televised tournaments. In other words, you are wrong.

ldn

no, it really isn't. the reporters asking questions are just a parasitic appendage to the sport. They aren't paying the bills and nobody watches the pressers. The sport does not exist without the athlete. She has the upper hand here
Well, not to defend reporters ;), but the media obligations are set by the International Tennis Federation for the Grand Slams (IIRC). Players agree to be accessible for post match press conferences (within 30 min of the end of their match) as a requirement when they accept an invitation for any grand slam tournament.

It’s not a parasitic relationship. It’s a symbiotic relationship. Much of the player prize money comes from media and advertising revenues paid to televise these events (French sports TV, NBC, ITV, BBC, Etc).

The athlete doesn’t really have the upper hand. They certainly can skip the tournament but the French Open will still go on and crown a champion in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I hate the media as much as anyone, but the reality is that professional athletes value comes as a direct result of media. Without media, most sports would exist for enjoyment only. As awful as the media can be, it is also the primary way athletes create value with the public. Using media while getting to the top and then ignoring them once there is myopic. As we have all seen, the media can tear down even the good guys.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Osaka has mental issues which are exacerbated by regular and social media. Even so she is probably the best player in the world right now.

Womens tennis needs to put the best players on the COURT in order to increase its audience.

Can‘t the powers that be work something out? Media exposure helps the sport but the competition is the most important thing. You would hope the players would help protect one of their own.

I know I am naive but I hate to see her talent and career derailed because of this.

I hate the media as much as anyone, but the reality is that professional athletes value comes as a direct result of media. Without media, most sports would exist for enjoyment only. As awful as the media can be, it is also the primary way athletes create value with the public. Using media while getting to the top and then ignoring them once there is myopic. As we have all seen, the media can tear down even the good guys.

The post-match interview is a total waste of time.

Reactions: NJPSU
Somewhat analogous: Ricky Williams. He claimed that marijuana was the best remedy for his social anxiety disorder. Therefore he gave up football.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Osaka has mental issues which are exacerbated by regular and social media. Even so she is probably the best player in the world right now.

Womens tennis needs to put the best players on the COURT in order to increase its audience.

Can‘t the powers that be work something out? Media exposure helps the sport but the competition is the most important thing. You would hope the players would help protect one of their own.

I know I am naive but I hate to see her talent and career derailed because of this.
I think this was much of the problem. She apparently didn’t go to them behind the scenes and make a request or explain the issue to try and work something out. She just posted on social media that she wasn’t going to do interviews at the French Open.

Public speaking is a learned skill. One she can apply millions towards learning.

I think she is being truthful. However like I said tennis needs to say no. This is part of the sport.

LdN

LdN
I couldn’t disagree more with your position regarding media interviews being part of professional tennis. If she doesn’t want to talk to the press, she shouldn’t have to talk to the press.

I don’t know all the specifics. One quote I’ve seen attributed to her about this was (paraphrasing) she doesn’t like people who ‘doubt’ her game as it disturbs her so she’s just not going to talk to them. She’s somehow tried to classify that into a ‘mental health’ issue. It seems more of a ‘I don’t like criticism’ issue.
Maybe she has autism. Maybe she has a phobia. Maybe she has both. But the big question is “Why does anyone even care?”

Well, not to defend reporters ;), but the media obligations are set by the International Tennis Federation for the Grand Slams (IIRC). Players agree to be accessible for post match press conferences (within 30 min of the end of their match) as a requirement when they accept an invitation for any grand slam tournament.

It’s not a parasitic relationship. It’s a symbiotic relationship. Much of the player prize money comes from media and advertising revenues paid to televise these events (French sports TV, NBC, ITV, BBC, Etc).

The athlete doesn’t really have the upper hand. They certainly can skip the tournament but the French Open will still go on and crown a champion in 2 weeks.
Players might agree, but are they contractually obligated? Huge difference.

She played by the rules, she paid the fines, and didn't complain about them. The tournaments decided to change the rules for her. I applaud her putting herself into a position where she can decide what is important to her and what she wants to do. She doesn't owe anyone anything.

Reactions: cntblvitsbutter
Maybe she has autism. Maybe she has a phobia. Maybe she has both. But the big question is “Why does anyone even care?”

Tennis is a mental sport as much as it is athletic.

Her not doing the press conference gives her a clear competitive advantage.

LdN

LdN

I think that's a bit of a stretch. The tournaments never implemented mandatory player interviews for competitive purposes.

The rules are what they are. It seems cooperating with the media is one of those rules. The link is for the 2020 rules but I doubt much has changed regarding the media.

LINK

Article I, Sec. E., of the Grand Slam rule book.....

E. PUBLICITY, PROMOTION AND DATA Each player grants and assigns to the events that he enters, the right in perpetuity to make, use and show from time to time and at their discretion, motion pictures, still pictures and live, taped or filmed television and other reproductions of him during said events and in connection with the promotion of said events without compensation for himself, his heirs, devisees, executors, administrators or assigns. Each player also agrees to cooperate with the news media and to participate upon request in reasonable promotional activities of the Grand Slam Tournaments. Such activities by a player shall not be represented as an endorsement by the player of any product or company. In addition, it is understood and agreed that all rights in data in any way produced and/or generated during the events (Data), including but not limited to statistics, live scoring and Player Analysis Technology data and similar data, shall be vested in the events and shall be available to them for their use, including licensing, assignment and/or other promotional and commercial purposes. To the extent any player has any rights in the Data, the player grants and assigns those rights irrevocably to the

If she’s contractually obligated to speak to the press, that would change things in my mind.
She is.....and was fined $15,000 IIRC (max allowed $20,000). ITF rules for grand slam tournaments, Article 3, section H-

“Unless injured and physically unable to appear, a player or team must attend the post-match media conference(s) organised immediately or within thirty (30) minutes after the conclusion of each match, including walkovers, whether the player or team was the winner or loser, unless such time is extended or otherwise modified by the Referee for good cause. In addition, all Main Draw players must participate, if requested, in a pre-event press conference to be arranged during the two days before the start of the Main Draw. All media obligations include, but are not limited to, interviews with the host and player’s national broadcaster.
Violation of this Section shall subject a player to a fine up to $20,000.”

The rules are what they are. It seems cooperating with the media is one of those rules. The link is for the 2020 rules but I doubt much has changed regarding the media.

LINK

Article I, Sec. E., of the Grand Slam rule book.....

E. PUBLICITY, PROMOTION AND DATA Each player grants and assigns to the events that he enters, the right in perpetuity to make, use and show from time to time and at their discretion, motion pictures, still pictures and live, taped or filmed television and other reproductions of him during said events and in connection with the promotion of said events without compensation for himself, his heirs, devisees, executors, administrators or assigns. Each player also agrees to cooperate with the news media and to participate upon request in reasonable promotional activities of the Grand Slam Tournaments. Such activities by a player shall not be represented as an endorsement by the player of any product or company. In addition, it is understood and agreed that all rights in data in any way produced and/or generated during the events (Data), including but not limited to statistics, live scoring and Player Analysis Technology data and similar data, shall be vested in the events and shall be available to them for their use, including licensing, assignment and/or other promotional and commercial purposes. To the extent any player has any rights in the Data, the player grants and assigns those rights irrevocably to the

It seems pretty apparent she knew and understood the rules, and didn't complain about them. It was the penalties that they suddenly changed, so she made the decision that she deemed best for herself, regardless of any financial penalties she may suffer. Good for her.

She is. ITF rules for grand slam tournaments, Article 3, section H-

“Unless injured and physically unable to appear, a player or team must attend the post-match media conference(s) organised immediately or within thirty (30) minutes after the conclusion of each match, including walkovers, whether the player or team was the winner or loser, unless such time is extended or otherwise modified by the Referee for good cause. In addition, all Main Draw players must participate, if requested, in a pre-event press conference to be arranged during the two days before the start of the Main Draw. All media obligations include, but are not limited to, interviews with the host and player’s national broadcaster.

And by paying the fines, she was meeting her contractual obligations.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. The tournaments never implemented mandatory player interviews for competitive purposes.

So you dont think it is a competitive advantage skipping the pressers after the matches?

She basically admitted it is so.

LdN

LdN
Aren’t all sports like that? And if not doing a post-match press conference gives her a “clear competitive advantage,” clearly the sport has some major issues to address.

Aren’t all sports like that? And if not doing a post-match press conference gives her a “clear competitive advantage,” clearly the sport has some major issues to addraddress

No, they aren't.

Do you know much about tennis? Serious question.

There is no other sport I can think of which is similar on the mental aspect. On the court alone against an opponent. No coaching for 2 to 5 hrs. Just you and your thoughts.

LdN

She is.....and was fined $15,000 IIRC (max allowed $20,000). ITF rules for grand slam tournaments, Article 3, section H-

Ok, so what’s the problem then?

So you dont think it is a competitive advantage skipping the pressers after the matches?

She basically admitted it is so.

LdN
Was Joe giving us a clear competitive advantage when he didn’t let freshmen speak to the media, and other schools did?

Do you know much about tennis? Serious question.

There is no other sport I can think of which is similar on the mental aspect. On the court alone against an opponent. No coaching for 2 to 5 hrs. Just you and your thoughts.

LdN
I’ve dabbled, but nothing even remotely close to this level. I’m not disagreeing with you. My point is that every professional sport requires some level of mental toughness, even bowling and golf.

No, instead the French Open tweeted pics of other players at media events and said ‘They knew the assignment.’ So, yeah - they would rather get into a public pissing match with her than figure something out. That tweet has since been deleted.

She played by the rules, she paid the fines, and didn't complain about them. The tournaments decided to change the rules for her. I applaud her putting herself into a position where she can decide what is important to her and what she wants to do. She doesn't owe anyone anything.
What rules did they change for her?

ADVERTISEMENT