ADVERTISEMENT

Name of bar?

golfnutpsu

Mar 12, 2012
Started golf league last night and as usual after a few beers everything but golf being discussed. Last night the discussion with a couple veteran alumni was bars in state college. Can't remember name of bar that was off Beaver Ave. but had to enter from parking lot. Rustic atmosphere. the 4 of us drank a lot but couldn't remember name. Thanks in advance.

Only places on Beaver that I can think of are Phyrst and The Brewery.

Brewery was located below Pizza Pi / Penn State Sub Shoppe opposite Kinkos/Skull House... one would enter via the lower level / McAllister St entrance.... vestibule area contained a makeshift bottle-shop when one could buy 40oz Schlitz "Red Bull" for $1.29 back in 87-88.... believe they co-op'd a $6.00 pizza and beer buffet with Pizza Pi (my favorite slices!) from 6-8 on Tuesday nights... I would show up to chapter meetings full of carbs ...

Reactions: Zenophile
one other thing about the Brewery... as much as it was considered a "townie bar".... college girls brave enough to hang in the Brewery were usually wonderfully trampy :) much love to be found there .... next to the Skeller (unbeatable back in its hey-day) the Brewery had the kind of patina I preferred

Reactions: Hartzie
one other thing about the Brewery... as much as it was considered a "townie bar".... college girls brave enough to hang in the Brewery were usually wonderfully trampy :) much love to be found there .... next to the Skeller (unbeatable back in its hey-day) the Brewery had the kind of patina I preferred

I think I saw Trampy Patina play the Brewery -- great band!

Seriously, my lasting memory of The Brewery is of my friends going on stage and leading the entire bar in cheers of "sht, gdmn, get off your azz and jam!"

How they didn't bounced or beat up by the band is truly remarkable.

Started golf league last night and as usual after a few beers everything but golf being discussed. Last night the discussion with a couple veteran alumni was bars in state college. Can't remember name of bar that was off Beaver Ave. but had to enter from parking lot. Rustic atmosphere. the 4 of us drank a lot but couldn't remember name. Thanks in advance.

It would help considerably if you would identify the time frame that you are talking about. You'll get a different answer if you are talking the 70s vs the 90s.

Reactions: Zenophile
It would help considerably if you would identify the time frame that you are talking about. You'll get a different answer if you are talking the 70s vs the 90s.
It was 75-77. Can't remember everything. Survived a few Gentle Thursday's though.

When I graduated in 1970 the Futura was a fixture on Beaver Avenue -- right across from Triangle Fraternity and next to a laundromat. Its claim to fame was cheap beer. I wish I had a nickle for every hour I spent sitting at the bar in the Futura!

The Brickhouse became Rita's right around 69 or 70. That was around the corner from the Phyrst. I think it then became the Alley Cat or something similar after Rita's. Not sure if there was a parking lot there. We walked.

There was also Teddy's which than became the Scorpion. I thought that was off of Beaver.

When I graduated in 1970 the Futura was a fixture on Beaver Avenue -- right across from Triangle Fraternity and next to a laundromat. Its claim to fame was cheap beer. I wish I had a nickle for every hour I spent sitting at the bar in the Futura!

The Futura became the Brewery in the early 70s (if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 1973). While the entrance was next to the laudramat, the actual bar was below it (the same basement location that the Brewery still occupies).

The Brickhouse became Rita's right around 69 or 70. That was around the corner from the Phyrst. I think it then became the Alley Cat or something similar after Rita's. Not sure if there was a parking lot there. We walked.

There was also Teddy's which than became the Scorpion. I thought that was off of Beaver.

Teddy's was just off of Calder Alley not Beaver, and it was way down Calder almost to Atherton Street.

I'm guessing he's talking about the Brewery.

I used to sit at the bar waiting for my laundry to finish. More than once I'd forget and have to go back the next morning :)

ADVERTISEMENT