ADVERTISEMENT

Myrtle Beach

Novalions

Feb 29, 2016
Taking family to Myrtle Beach since our cruise was cancelled. Just wanted to see what places you think our family (boys 13, 8 and 5) might like.

We will be there 6 days and kind of put this together last minute with work schedules for us. Think we might do the Pirate Voyage place for dinner one night for kids and the Wonder works place for the kids to do hands on stuff.

Other than that it will be a lot of beach and relaxing. Also heard a lot of places are open to sit for dinners so it will be nice for that. Plus kids and wife are excited to try and book haircuts. I’ve been saving the family for years not growing any up top anyway.

It’s our first time going there as we usually do LBI for a beach trip.

Thanks in advance

A poster here owns a restaurant in Myrtle but it's name escapes me at the moment.

Alligator Adventure
The Beach
A couple of waterparks
Broadway at the Beach
Short trip to Charleston SC and Wilmington NC to see USS North Carolina
Alabama Theatre

Reactions: Novalions
We have a place down in Myrtle Beach. I agree that all of the attractions listed would be fun but not sure if they are all open yet. When we were down there last month, none of the attractions were open.

I would add Top Golf, which re-opens this week. I would also check out the Boardwalk. The Kitchen Table is great for breakfast. Hamburger Joe's has the best hot wings that I have ever eaten, but there is always a long wait and the Myrtle Beach location only takes cash.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Alligator Adventure
The Beach
A couple of waterparks
Broadway at the Beach
Short trip to Charleston SC and Wilmington NC to see USS North Carolina
Alabama Theatre

We used to go to MB every summer when the kids were younger. I would highly recomend a day trip to Charleston. Take in the history perhaps a boat ride to fort sumpter. then go for a stroll in the market area, then take in a great meal at Lewis bbq one of the top 5 bbq places in the country. Charleston is so nice that my daughter ended up going to school there. C of C... and now my son lives right outside of downtown. So you never know by exposing these gems it might just open your kids eyes for something in the future.

We used to go to MB every summer when the kids were younger. I would highly recomend a day trip to Charleston. Take in the history perhaps a boat ride to fort sumpter. then go for a stroll in the market area, then take in a great meal at Lewis bbq one of the top 5 bbq places in the country. Charleston is so nice that my daughter ended up going to school there. C of C... and now my son lives right outside of downtown. So you never know by exposing these gems it might just open your kids eyes for something in the future.

I strongly agree, Charleston is a great and friendly place to visit.

Reactions: bytir and tlbakernc
Totally agree - no trip to MB, SC is complete without a trip to Charleston.

While in Charleston SC it is a must to eat at Lewis BBQ. It is widely know that the top rated BBQ in the country is is Franklins in Austin TX with people standing in line for 5 hours just to eat there.

2 College buddies started that place and one of them broke off and started Lewis BBQ and it is simply the best place that I ever ate at.

Rodney Scotts place is also very good in Charleston but that are a distant 2nd to Lewis

Although they changed the name and are no longer NASCAR park they have the same tracks, rides and mini golf.

I will be their next week with my boys!

Their is a discount you can buy through groupon as well. 4 all day passes for $127

https://broadwaygrandprix.com/
I haven’t been to Myrtle in quite a while...I didn’t know they changed the name. Myrtle was great when my kids were young, but we don’t go there anymore.

I have to agree with everyone that says a day trip to Charleston is a must. The history of that city is fascinating and should appeal to everyone in the family. Be ready for the heat though.

I live in the Raleigh area and we go over to Wilmington and Wrightsville beach regularly. I definitely recommend a day trip to tour the USS NC. I went when I was somewhere between 5-10 years old and actually remember it from when I was that young, I think it could be in the wheelhouse of the audience if you have 3 young boys.

only a 1.5 hour drive from Myrtle

While in Charleston SC it is a must to eat at Lewis BBQ. It is widely know that the top rated BBQ in the country is is Franklins in Austin TX with people standing in line for 5 hours just to eat there.

2 College buddies started that place and one of them broke off and started Lewis BBQ and it is simply the best place that I ever ate at.

Rodney Scotts place is also very good in Charleston but that are a distant 2nd to Lewis

I agree with you and at the same time it's important to note they are 2 very different styles of BBQ. Lewis is Texas BBQ. Brisket and Hot Guts sausage are out of this world. Scott's is whole hog Carolina BBQ. Spare ribs, pulled pork and banana pudding are the gems there. If you want smoked wings Home Team BBQ in West Ashley has the best in the city. Finally if you want BBQ hash, you want Duke's, even though they buy it from a butcher in Ridgeville.

We have a place down in Myrtle Beach. I agree that all of the attractions listed would be fun but not sure if they are all open yet. When we were down there last month, none of the attractions were open.

I would add Top Golf, which re-opens this week. I would also check out the Boardwalk. The Kitchen Table is great for breakfast. Hamburger Joe's has the best hot wings that I have ever eaten, but there is always a long wait and the Myrtle Beach location only takes cash.
I have a place down in Surfside. I was down there the last couple of weeks. The Wax Museum, Go Cart center, minature golf, etc at Broadway were open and pretty active. The Marsh Walk at Murrells Inlet was open and Broadway. You will find things to keep you busy. Beaches open but people respected social distancing.

When are you coming to Myrtle.

I have a restaurant in north myrtle for breakfast and lunch.

The kitchen table restaurant on 17.

Most places are open now and attractions are getting open as well. Golf is always great. What hotel and where are you saying.

Let me know how I can help.

I have a few friends that own some restaurants there as well. Shad Valesco owns The Library which is fine dining with meals prepared table side. Aspen Grille was just taken over by another friend, Roland Sciotto. It’s a high end steak house. He also owns a steakhouse up in Loris called Bistro 90.

I have a few friends that own some restaurants there as well. Shad Valesco owns The Library which is fine dining with meals prepared table side. Aspen Grille was just taken over by another friend, Roland Sciotto. It’s a high end steak house. He also owns a steakhouse up in Loris called Bistro 90.

If you like natural gardens, go to Brookgreen Gardens in Litchfield. It’s a great way to spend the afternoon: lots of nature, art, etc. They have a great Christmas display. In fact, it’s where I proposed to the Mrs.

I live in the Raleigh area and we go over to Wilmington and Wrightsville beach regularly. I definitely recommend a day trip to tour the USS NC. I went when I was somewhere between 5-10 years old and actually remember it from when I was that young, I think it could be in the wheelhouse of the audience if you have 3 young boys.

only a 1.5 hour drive from Myrtle
I agree the USS NC is worth seeing. We did it a couple years ago when we were in Carolina Beach.

When are you coming to Myrtle.

I have a restaurant in north myrtle for breakfast and lunch.

The kitchen table restaurant on 17.

Most places are open now and attractions are getting open as well. Golf is always great. What hotel and where are you saying.

Let me know how I can help.

We are coming June 14-20th with our kids and another family. We are staying at Residence Inn Oceanfront. We definitely want to come by!

Grande dunes in 10 minutes from us. Still plenty to do and weather is great. Chesapeake house on restaurant row is a nice dinner place on restaurant row. I’ve been going there for 40 plus years. Seafood etc.

Some nice places to walk around are barefoot landing near us, broadway on the beach in Myrtle and market commons near 501 area and coastal grand mall.

Grande dunes in 10 minutes from us. Still plenty to do and weather is great. Chesapeake house on restaurant row is a nice dinner place on restaurant row. I’ve been going there for 40 plus years. Seafood etc.

Some nice places to walk around are barefoot landing near us, broadway on the beach in Myrtle and market commons near 501 area and coastal grand mall.
I will be staying at the Maison Sur Mer in August...we will stop by.

My wife and I are heading down Saturday for a couple of weeks. We will definitely stop by The Kitchen Table for breakfast one morning.

Was talking to the wife and we have kids similar age to you. She was saying Myrtle beach Grand Prix (carts) and Myrtle waves which is a water park. Same owner so they have a combo pass. There is wake boarding and a water obstacle course in north Myrtle called shark wake park. Greg Norman’s son. They would love pirates voyage. Worth the money. There is parasailing up and down the beach. Lots of fun putt putt golf. There is a cool beach at the top of north Myrtle beach in cherry grove and we call it the point. Go at low tide. It’s where the ocean meets the intracoastal waterway. Great shells and wildlife. You can walk several miles on the beach in a circle it’s so large. If you can drive up the Wilmington the ship is cool and Charleston has ft Sumter and patriots point. Definitely worth a day trip to Charleston. Hope to meet you. Come find me when you come in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Was talking to the wife and we have kids similar age to you. She was saying Myrtle beach Grand Prix (carts) and Myrtle waves which is a water park. Same owner so they have a combo pass. There is wake boarding and a water obstacle course in north Myrtle called shark wake park. Greg Norman’s son. They would love pirates voyage. Worth the money. There is parasailing up and down the beach. Lots of fun putt putt golf. There is a cool beach at the top of north Myrtle beach in cherry grove and we call it the point. Go at low tide. It’s where the ocean meets the intracoastal waterway. Great shells and wildlife. You can walk several miles on the beach in a circle it’s so large. If you can drive up the Wilmington the ship is cool and Charleston has ft Sumter and patriots point. Definitely worth a day trip to Charleston. Hope to meet you. Come find me when you come in -Rod.
Thank you so much for the advice and look forward to coming to see you there. I will have a PSU shirt on!

If you’re thinking about coming to Myrtle Beach think long and hard we just got designated Red by Dhec we have 67 cases of COVID-19 today in Horry County everybody and their brother coming here for vacation and they’re bringing it with them if you can I would try to go somewhere else north or south of Myrtle Beach where I live 20 miles south on PAWLEYS ISLAND and I wouldn’t even go anywhere near there
Let me see if I understand this - Myrtle Beach is having a big spike in cases because of all the visitors from out of town bringing the virus with them. So, you suggest those visitors avoid MB and come to the area where you live, instead. Brilliant strategy.

Let me see if I understand this - Myrtle Beach is having a big spike in cases because of all the visitors from out of town bringing the virus with them. So, you suggest those visitors avoid MB and come to the area where you live, instead. Brilliant strategy.
No I’m saying you should watch where you go .

ADVERTISEMENT