ADVERTISEMENT

My weekend at Penn State clinic....(could get long, sorry)

OhioLion

Jul 11, 2001
Heart of America, Archbold, OH
First stop after the 5.5 hour drive was CC Peppers - tradition.
After buying our parking passes for two days, we went to the Lasch area. Nobody in Holuba, so we head for Rec Hall. My son says there's KJ as this kid is walking from Nittany Apts. We pull over and ask - were you really upset you weren't miked up yesterday? He laughs pretty good and says - yes, I was, man. As he walks away, he's still laughing.
Rec Hall is locked up tight. We get in through the recreation center doors and stumble on the Lorenzo Wrestling complex. Long story short, Vincenzo invites us in to watch instead of standing and looking through the windows.Pictures, no videos. Watch for about an hour and Coach Sanderson walks over starts talking after the workout was complete. Talked to him for 5-7 minutes and thanked him and his wrestlers for the exciting season, and on behalf of all Nittany Lion fans in Ohio, a huge thank you. It was like old college buddies getting together talking to him.
Left and did get the chance to walk around Rec Hall some. My courage ran out as I did not go to the women's volleyball offices to complete my wish list - meeting Russ Rose.
Money burning a hole in my son's pockets, so off to the College Ave clothing stores.
Day of clinic is tremendous.
Franklin is all over Holuba listening to his staff speak and meeting/greeting with the visiting coaches. My son and I walk up to him and I apologize for missing his phone call. He gives me a very different look - like, who are you man? I pull out my phone and play the message he left on my cell phone. NOTE - it was not his phone, but a former player's who is a head coach north of Columbass with a very very highly rated recruit; no names mentioned. Yes, James Franklin finds out while recruiting I am a big Penn State fan. He writes a note to me, then decides to Facetime me. I was filling my truck with gas and left my phone on the console. Missed two attempts at Facetime Coach James Franklin. He hears the message and starts laughing. We talk a couple of minutes, then my son asks if he will sign his "college visitation" form so he can be excused from school those two days. Franklin reads it and chuckles as he signs it.
Listen to Rahne and Spencer/Gialliano (sp?) speak. Rahne laughs when asked about the shuffle passes in the bowl game. Said he's sure people wanted him fired after that. Spencer is a hoot. The man is laid back and intense at the same time; I know it sounds odd. He is now my son's favorite coach. We talk to him about the same kid Franklin was recruiting when Franklin called me. Kind to take picture with my son.
Speaking portion of the clinic is finished and it's time for the social. My son and I want to speak to Pry before we leave for the night. We get the chance, and I show him a picture of himself, Spencer and that highly-rated recruit's head coach, my former player and ask why he let Spencer in the photo. He asks how I have that picture and I explain. We talk to him about the recruit and other things for 5-7 minutes. He calls Spencer over and they take a photo with my son standing just like they did with my former player now head coach when they visited his high school. Pry gives the "number 1" and I said - yeah, we need to show the number 1. As my son raises his arm to put on their shoulders (he's 6' 3" and they are under 6'), Coach Spencer punches him in the ribs!:cool: I was clicking pictures and happened to get that captured.
Was a nice 52 degrees and some sun Friday. Leaving to drive back to Phillipsburg, we hit a moderate snow that had me driving 45 mph. Not fun for this "flat-lander".
Saturday was S & C coaching staff. With Coach Paterno, their were 2 full-time coaches; now 5. This is an obvious help. Interesting tier system with in-season training. Coach Losey talked about the nutrition portion of training, and that has definitely changed over the last 5- 7 years.
O'Brien. Funny and informative. Good speaker that kept us engaged even though the topic was not for my son and I directly. Said he is not surprised Penn State is doing well because Coach Paterno built a great foundation for them to work from. Talked about being down 3 scores to NW and how McGloin kept his composure to bring them back. Gave me a different view of himself after his talk.
Millen and some guy who acted pretty much like "my poop doesn't stink" were there. Millen looked tired and I hope he beats whatever it is he is battling.
Spoke to a couple of friends I had made while attending clinics in the Paterno years. I was told O'Brien reminded people of the young fiery Joe Paterno. Hands on. Franklin more of a CEO. Franklin has his pulse on every aspect of the program, just not as much on the in-practice coaching. I will say though, Franklin added his comments to the different coaches who were speaking to help clarify the program's stance on the topic being discussed. The man has a ton of energy.
A mention was made about the administration, and I asked who did like the administration?
Sounds like O'Brien did not get along very well with the administration in place while he was at PS.
I then find out the pompous man with Millen was trustee Suhey. No wonder I had that feel about him.
It was a great trip for what could be the last "father-son only" trip before my son heads to Grand Valley State in Grand Rapids, MI this fall. I told Pry my son would be a great student-manager for him. He said "yeah!", but I followed by saying the $52,000 annual for out of state hurt the chances.
Sorry for the length.

OL

After buying our parking passes for two days, we went to the Lasch area. Nobody in Holuba, so we head for Rec Hall. My son says there's KJ as this kid is walking from Nittany Apts. We pull over and ask - were you really upset you weren't miked up yesterday? He laughs pretty good and says - yes, I was, man. As he walks away, he's still laughing.
Rec Hall is locked up tight. We get in through the recreation center doors and stumble on the Lorenzo Wrestling complex. Long story short, Vincenzo invites us in to watch instead of standing and looking through the windows.Pictures, no videos. Watch for about an hour and Coach Sanderson walks over starts talking after the workout was complete. Talked to him for 5-7 minutes and thanked him and his wrestlers for the exciting season, and on behalf of all Nittany Lion fans in Ohio, a huge thank you. It was like old college buddies getting together talking to him.
Left and did get the chance to walk around Rec Hall some. My courage ran out as I did not go to the women's volleyball offices to complete my wish list - meeting Russ Rose.
Money burning a hole in my son's pockets, so off to the College Ave clothing stores.
Franklin is all over Holuba listening to his staff speak and meeting/greeting with the visiting coaches. My son and I walk up to him and I apologize for missing his phone call. He gives me a very different look - like, who are you man? I pull out my phone and play the message he left on my cell phone. NOTE - it was not his phone, but a former player's who is a head coach north of Columbass with a very very highly rated recruit; no names mentioned. Yes, James Franklin finds out while recruiting I am a big Penn State fan. He writes a note to me, then decides to Facetime me. I was filling my truck with gas and left my phone on the console. Missed two attempts at Facetime Coach James Franklin. He hears the message and starts laughing. We talk a couple of minutes, then my son asks if he will sign his "college visitation" form so he can be excused from school those two days. Franklin reads it and chuckles as he signs it.
Listen to Rahne and Spencer/Gialliano (sp?) speak. Rahne laughs when asked about the shuffle passes in the bowl game. Said he's sure people wanted him fired after that. Spencer is a hoot. The man is laid back and intense at the same time; I know it sounds odd. He is now my son's favorite coach. We talk to him about the same kid Franklin was recruiting when Franklin called me. Kind to take picture with my son.
Speaking portion of the clinic is finished and it's time for the social. My son and I want to speak to Pry before we leave for the night. We get the chance, and I show him a picture of himself, Spencer and that highly-rated recruit's head coach, my former player and ask why he let Spencer in the photo. He asks how I have that picture and I explain. We talk to him about the recruit and other things for 5-7 minutes. He calls Spencer over and they take a photo with my son standing just like they did with my former player now head coach when they visited his high school. Pry gives the "number 1" and I said - yeah, we need to show the number 1. As my son raises his arm to put on their shoulders (he's 6' 3" and they are under 6'), Coach Spencer punches him in the ribs!:cool: I was clicking pictures and happened to get that captured.
Was a nice 52 degrees and some sun Friday. Leaving to drive back to Phillipsburg, we hit a moderate snow that had me driving 45 mph. Not fun for this "flat-lander".
Saturday was S & C coaching staff. With Coach Paterno, their were 2 full-time coaches; now 5. This is an obvious help. Interesting tier system with in-season training. Coach Losey talked about the nutrition portion of training, and that has definitely changed over the last 5- 7 years.
O'Brien. Funny and informative. Good speaker that kept us engaged even though the topic was not for my son and I directly. Said he is not surprised Penn State is doing well because Coach Paterno built a great foundation for them to work from. Talked about being down 3 scores to NW and how McGloin kept his composure to bring them back. Gave me a different view of himself after his talk.
Millen and some guy who acted pretty much like "my poop doesn't stink" were there. Millen looked tired and I hope he beats whatever it is he is battling.
Spoke to a couple of friends I had made while attending clinics in the Paterno years. I was told O'Brien reminded people of the young fiery Joe Paterno. Hands on. Franklin more of a CEO. Franklin has his pulse on every aspect of the program, just not as much on the in-practice coaching. I will say though, Franklin added his comments to the different coaches who were speaking to help clarify the program's stance on the topic being discussed. The man has a ton of energy.
A mention was made about the administration, and I asked who did like the administration?
Sounds like O'Brien did not get along very well with the administration in place while he was at PS.
I then find out the pompous man with Millen was trustee Suhey. No wonder I had that feel about him.
It was a great trip for what could be the last "father-son only" trip before my son heads to Grand Valley State in Grand Rapids, MI this fall. I told Pry my son would be a great student-manager for him. He said "yeah!", but I followed by saying the $52,000 annual for out of state hurt the chances.
Sorry for the length.

OL
thanks for sharing!! Anything in particle relative to the coaching of the players on the field you found new or different? tia

During the "lion's den" drill (oklahoma to most, but Franklin is "not going to promote any other program"), there was a nice skirmish. We couldn't see what was going on, just that two referees threw flags. Last night my son shows me the view from above of the fight. He found it online somewhere.
Tommy Stevens was not wearing a boot while lifting, but was on Saturday morning during practice. He was throwing to the RBs. Juwonson also was in a boot and driving around on a scooter. One other player was in a boot also. I thought it was Sharrif, but my son said it was not. He knows them by face more then I do, so I'll take his word.

OL

Last edited:
Sorry for the length.

OL
Great info, thanks for the write-up.

Sorry for the length.

OL

There was a conversation, recently on this board, about important games in PSU's recent history. I was going to bring up that NW game. We were down three scores in the third quarter and won with McG leading the charge. It was the first quality win after the JS issues. We had lost to Oho and VA to start the season and then beat Navy, Temple and Ill. Then we played NW, who was ranked, at home on homecoming. I feel like that was a turning point for the team and program.

thanks for sharing!! Anything in particle relative to the coaching of the players on the field you found new or different? tia
My son sat in on the TE session and said they really don't refer them as TE's in practice because they rarely will line up as a TE. Most the time in the H position and he said they referred to them really as FBs!! I know, they used the F word. He said they will split them out or run them as blockers from the off the LOS.
Rahne was asked about the amount of footwork they do in practice and it surprised me that he said not that much. Most kids footwork is established by the time they arrive. Yes, they do some, but they work on release point of the ball and reads.
S & C talk about the tier structure was interesting. Basically the players seeing time will lift twice a week to gain strength. No in-season lifting is for just maintenance. Those not seeing PT will lift three times a week. The program is built around lifting and speed workouts. If I understood correctly, many programs used to or still do, work speed 5 months out of the year. PS is year round. Legs centered lifting on Friday in off season to have fresh legs for the weeks speed work.

If I think of more, I'll share.

QB's warming up minus Stevens. McSorely and Clifford throw seeds/beebees/darts whatever you want to call it.

My son and I talked on the way home how loose the players and coaches were. Then we concluded this is April 7. August 7, September 7, October 7, etc, the sphincters are likely much tighter and less light-heartedness.

Edit: we were not able to stay for the scrimmage portion of the day so I cannot give any information about that. I believe though it was supposed to be the first full scrimmage of the spring. My son plans on driving back out for the Blue and White game. I was going to pass, but the the football season boil started up and may need to make the trip.

OL

Last edited:
Surprising to me then that he would go out to eat with the guy who screwed Joe Paterno the hardest - Suhey.
Until it was shared with me, I just didn't think they liked each other much. It was made clear that no Christmas cards were ever exchanged!

OL

These are great stories from your trip. Thanks for sharing them here.

Curious:
Who do you mean didn't like each other... Paul Suhey and JVP?

If so, from what I heard, it was due to JVP not finding playing time for Paul's son, as he did for Larry's and Matt's. Merit-based playing time be damned.

Suhey and Millen remained friends through all the mess. They alienated themselves from the majority of the Lettermen's Club, as I understand it.

Who do you mean didn't like each other... Paul Suhey and JVP?
I was told O'Brien and the administration did not get along at all. In fact, the person said if O'Brien had stayed through the changing of the admin, he would have likely been able to work with the current admin much better and enjoyed his time much more.
But, O'Brien had nothing but good to say about his time at PS. Loved the work ethic of the student-athletes.
Maybe his shout out to Coach Paterno was a backhanded slap at the old administration. ??

OL

Reactions: Bob78
"We Retired Him Three Weeks Early" Suhey. What a dumbass. I think he got the message when the alumni voted his ass off the BoT.

Didn't it also cause a "divide" between the Suhey families? Namely Paul's and Matt's?
And is this really because Paul thought that Kevin S. deserved more playing time at QB?

Reactions: Bob78
And is this really because Paul thought that Kevin S. deserved more playing time at QB?
I shared with my son the version I had heard. Wasn't Paul's son involved in some off the field problems and Joe told him to take time off to get things straight. Joe said once the other situation is handled, come back to the team. But it went south and the kid never really did get playing time and eventually quit. I had heard the off field was a drug issue.
Apologies if this is not the correct story.

OL

I was told O'Brien and the administration did not get along at all. In fact, the person said if O'Brien had stayed through the changing of the admin, he would have likely been able to work with the current admin much better and enjoyed his time much more.
But, O'Brien had nothing but good to say about his time at PS. Loved the work ethic of the student-athletes.
Maybe his shout out to Coach Paterno was a backhanded slap at the old administration. ??

OL

Pretty much no one liked or respected Joyner, so Bill saw right through him as well. If I recall, SuePa had reached out to his wife when they moved into town and offered support. I doubt there were any hard feelings on behalf of most of the Paterno family toward the O'Briens.

I also would not doubt that Bill hated being put in the position to being forced to put on a little dog and pony show at the one BOT meeting - the infamous open door or open windows "the lawsuits aren't helping" slideshow. I can imagine he wanted no part of that.

He had also reached out to generations of ex-players, and learned about the true JVP legacy. He sat through a viewing of "The Joe We Know" and was very moved by it. He understood who Joe was, and like so many other coaches across the country, understood how unbelievably bad he was treated, for no reason, at the end by his own PSU Admin.

I shared with my son the version I had heard. Wasn't Paul's son involved in some off the field problems and Joe told him to take time off to get things straight. Joe said once the other situation is handled, come back to the team. But it went south and the kid never really did get playing time and eventually quit. I had heard the off field was a drug issue.
Apologies if this is not the correct story.

OL

I think you might be mixing up Paul Suhey and John Surma.
Surma's kid, Vic (I think) had some issues and apparently John blamed Joe for them.

He had also reached out to generations of ex-players, and learned about the true JVP legacy.
Glad you brought this up. The person I spoke with said it was a known fact O'Brien was interested in finding out as much about Penn State history and Joe Paterno history while he was here. Truly wanted to know more about Joe Paterno the man and the coach.

OL

Reactions: john4psu and Bob78
Thank you for the correction.
Apologies.

OL

LOL, don't thank me I'm not even sure if I'm right but I think thats what it was.:confused:
Now that I think about it wasn't John Surma it was Vic Surma and unfortunately Vic Surma, jr. ended up committing suicide around 2014.
But his uncle, John was the Vice-Chariman at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhioLion
Pretty much no one liked or respected Joyner, so Bill saw right through him as well. I

Bill O'Brien's restated Penn State contract reduces the price of an NFL buyout from $19.33 million last year to $6.48 million for this year

The fact that the admin voluntarily, and stupidly, reduced O'Brien's buyout thus ensuring he would be able to leave Penn State early.....O'Brien should be sending them Xmas cards every year.

It all worked out for the best. His defense, and DC Butler, was a shitshow.

Bill O'Brien's restated Penn State contract reduces the price of an NFL buyout from $19.33 million last year to $6.48 million for this year

The fact that the admin voluntarily, and stupidly, reduced O'Brien's buyout thus ensuring he would be able to leave Penn State early.....O'Brien should be sending them Xmas cards every year.

It all worked out for the best. His defense, and DC Butler, was a shitshow.
True and agreed to 100%. But to be fair, BO'B was only at PSU two years and his staff was still settling down. CJF fired his OC, who was a disaster and one of his good friends, after his second year so perhaps BO'B would have done the same.

Honestly, things couldn't have worked out better for PSU in the post JS era.

Thanks for the recap. I really wanted to attend this year. I last attended 2011 and recall reading Ganim's article as I ate breakfast in State College (3/31/11). After I retired in 09, I still tried to make the clinic and touch bases with my high school coach. One of the great moments I had was being introduced by my old coach to George Chaump on a Friday eve at the clinic. I have not been to State College since paying my final respects to my HS Coach/Friend on 7/23/12. My recollection is that the sanctions were announced as I headed home and listened on the radio. Joe's Statue had been taken down the day before (happened to be my birthday). I vowed never to return to SC, based on how Joe was treated.
My PSU Clinic experience dates back to 1971. At that time I was an assistant coach for Bob "Geech" Gutshall, a legendary running back from Altoona. He knew seemingly everyone and I was thrilled to tag along.
I recall Joe being very involved in speaking/demonstrating and seeing him work with Franco and Lydell.
Joe was not yet JoePa and he was very active with all the coaches in attendance. As I recall the social hour was held at the local Catholic Church Hall.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that Joe Paterno inspired thousands of young coaches like myself. While I didn't emulate his x and o philosophy, I did buy into the idea that we owe our players a great deal more than teaching them the fundamentals of football. As an educator, Joe knew that he had an obligation to impart discipline, character traits and life's lessons to his players. I truly believe that this was his priority from the beginning to the very end of his career.
Since James Franklin took the job, I have softened my stance and attended all the bowl games. He was a classmate and friend with my niece all the way thru elementary and HS. She clued me in to him when he took the Vanderbuilt job. I recall telling her he was as good as a "dead man." I simply never recalled anyone's career surviving after that job. I actually had the chance to tell Coach that story....I don't think he saw the humor in it.

ADVERTISEMENT