ADVERTISEMENT

My observations of many PSU fans

After reading the venom from PSU "fans" towards the coaching staff and team, I've come to the conclusion that many PSU "fans" are as delusional as Pitt fans.

Sure, drive the coaching staff away. Just be careful what you wish for.
Those with the most venom are in an extreme minority and are not representative of Nittany Nation

After reading the venom from PSU "fans" towards the coaching staff and team, I've come to the conclusion that many PSU "fans" are as delusional as Pitt fans.

Unfortunately most fan bases are like us in this day and age. Here we sit 8-1 coming off 3 double digit winning seasons in a row and people are up in arms. We could be Nebraska or Arkansas to name a couple.

So you think the coaching might pack up and leave because some fans are saying mean things about them on a message board? Yep, they will probably run off to someplace like FSU, Arkansas, USC, etc where it will be much easier to satisfy the fans.

The fan base is becoming an embarrassment. Fire this person, fire that person, blah, blah, blah. As a previous poster said, be careful what you wish for. Nebraska hated Frank Solich because he couldn't win 11 games....bet they wish they had those 11 wins now.

Everyone is disappointed, no kidding.

Fact is our kids just didn't play well Saturday.

You’re whole premise is ridiculous. We as PSU fans have never hired a poor assistant coach. We have never made any bad game day decisions. We certainly haven’t failed to have the team razor sharp for all opponents. And I defy you find a game that we have ever lost. Now excuse me while I search for something else to piss me off regarding the program.

Fans are fans, the world over. Any team that has thousands of fans commenting on a message board is going to see fans respond in the same way ("why don't our coaches EVER prepare the kids for a big game?!", "why do we NEVER make half time adjustments?!", "when will our coaches ever learn to use the clock correctly?!!", "why do the coaches let the team come out FLAT?!!" etc). Everyone who has ever played Madden now thinks they are a frigging expert.

Those with the most venom are in an extreme minority and are not representative of Nittany Nation
That is true based on the OP reference to an initial subset of actual angry fans...

But the apparent # of disgruntled fans grows when a second subset of non-fans who pose as fans vainly attempt to accentuate the angry sentiment, as evidenced on the bwi board by such things as accounts whose first post was on or after Saturday, 11/9/19 o_O

I saw this type of reaction coming a mile away, before the season even started. Preseason I expected us to start 5-0 with the way the schedule was back end loaded. I thought we'd lose 1 or 2 in the Iowa, UM, MSU stretch, lose to OSU, and possibly 1 other game that we shouldn't given the youth of the team. I was worried that with a likely 5-0 start the team would likely be on the cusp of a top 10 ranking and that fans' expectations would start to change from what they were in the preseason, and people would start talking major bowls and what not. Then by going 3-0 in what was perceived to be the toughest stretch coming into the season and being #4 in the first playoff rankings gasoline was dumped on that fire. My expectations changed too, instead of thinking we'd have a 3-4 loss season I now thought we were looking at 1-2 (OSU and one we probably shouldn't lose). But despite the #4 ranking I didn't actually think we were the 4th best team in the country because of on our inconsistency on offense and the pass defense struggles. I'd consider OSU, LSU, Bama and Clemson all ahead of us in a on-field matchup and I think we'd have our hands full with Georgia, Florida and maybe the top 2 PAC 12 teams and Oklahoma. That said, we deserved the #4 ranking though based on being undefeated and our resume to date, which was better than Bama's and Clemson's at the time. Unfortunately Minnesota beat us which is probably meets my fear of someone beating us that shouldn't, although I say that purely based on overall talent and being favored because Minnesota outplayed us and deserved to win on Saturday. Hopefully this is a wake up call for the players that even a team without the storied history of an OSU can handle a talented PSU team if they execute well, and Minn executed extremely well and better than PSU on Saturday.

This was about as best case for a loss that we could have asked for though. Close game... check. On the road... check. Ranked opponent... check. Not in our division... check. Doesn't hinder our ability to win the east or the conference in any way... check. College playoff still within reach and in our own control... likely check.

Everyone would have been thrilled if before the season started we were told we'd be 8-1 at this point with the only loss being on the road to an undefeated and top ranked non-division opponent. Now because the fans moved the goalposts on expectations they want to get all bent out of shape about coaches, and nobody is giving Minnesota credit because they aren't a historically great program, so they interpret this as a really bad loss, which it wasn't. If we manage to beat OSU, which will be extremely difficult, this loss will quickly be viewed as a blip on the radar for a great team that is deserving of a top ranking.

I for one am thrilled with having Franklin as our coach and I love how the team has showed nearly continuous improvement on the field and in terms of roster talent under his watch. No, he's not perfect, he'd be the first to say that. But there are very few coaches in the country that I'd think would be a realistic possibility to come here and do a better job, all while maintaining the emphasis on academics, sportsmanship and off the field behaviors that we want. I hope Franklin is here for a long, long time.

It’s the nature of business, not just college football, and Franklin is a victim of his own success in some ways.

If you’re in sales and you have a million dollar quota for the year and you sell 1.5 million, your target next year is going to exceed 1.5 million. It never goes down or stays the same.

Reactions: PSUChicago
I saw this type of reaction coming a mile away, before the season even started. Preseason I expected us to start 5-0 with the way the schedule was back end loaded. I thought we'd lose 1 or 2 in the Iowa, UM, MSU stretch, lose to OSU, and possibly 1 other game that we shouldn't given the youth of the team. I was worried that with a likely 5-0 start the team would likely be on the cusp of a top 10 ranking and that fans' expectations would start to change from what they were in the preseason, and people would start talking major bowls and what not. Then by going 3-0 in what was perceived to be the toughest stretch coming into the season and being #4 in the first playoff rankings gasoline was dumped on that fire. My expectations changed too, instead of thinking we'd have a 3-4 loss season I now thought we were looking at 1-2 (OSU and one we probably shouldn't lose). But despite the #4 ranking I didn't actually think we were the 4th best team in the country because of on our inconsistency on offense and the pass defense struggles. I'd consider OSU, LSU, Bama and Clemson all ahead of us in a on-field matchup and I think we'd have our hands full with Georgia, Florida and maybe the top 2 PAC 12 teams and Oklahoma. That said, we deserved the #4 ranking though based on being undefeated and our resume to date, which was better than Bama's and Clemson's at the time. Unfortunately Minnesota beat us which is probably meets my fear of someone beating us that shouldn't, although I say that purely based on overall talent and being favored because Minnesota outplayed us and deserved to win on Saturday. Hopefully this is a wake up call for the players that even a team without the storied history of an OSU can handle a talented PSU team if they execute well, and Minn executed extremely well and better than PSU on Saturday.

This was about as best case for a loss that we could have asked for though. Close game... check. On the road... check. Ranked opponent... check. Not in our division... check. Doesn't hinder our ability to win the east or the conference in any way... check. College playoff still within reach and in our own control... likely check.

Everyone would have been thrilled if before the season started we were told we'd be 8-1 at this point with the only loss being on the road to an undefeated and top ranked non-division opponent. Now because the fans moved the goalposts on expectations they want to get all bent out of shape about coaches, and nobody is giving Minnesota credit because they aren't a historically great program, so they interpret this as a really bad loss, which it wasn't. If we manage to beat OSU, which will be extremely difficult, this loss will quickly be viewed as a blip on the radar for a great team that is deserving of a top ranking.

I for one am thrilled with having Franklin as our coach and I love how the team has showed nearly continuous improvement on the field and in terms of roster talent under his watch. No, he's not perfect, he'd be the first to say that. But there are very few coaches in the country that I'd think would be a realistic possibility to come here and do a better job, all while maintaining the emphasis on academics, sportsmanship and off the field behaviors that we want. I hope Franklin is here for a long, long time.

I can't "like" this post enough. Thank you, PSUSignore!

If the coaching staff AND the team had showed up for Kentucky, you’d be right!

I picked 10-2 or 9-3 back in August. But the UK game and Minny game both piss me off a ton because the best team did not win. The best prepared team won...and that's on the staff. And for the record...I HATE tossing coaches under the bus. But CJF's staff was totally outcoached in the first half of both those games.

I’m still baffled at when every loss became the fault of the coaching staff. It used to be if you had a good coach and the team lost, it was because the players didn’t play well, or the other team played really well, or the team had a let down due to the game they just played or the one they’re about to play. Nowadays every loss is the coach’s fault. How can a good coach forget how to coach in a given week? If a team wins 8 out of 9 games, then the staff obviously knows how to coach...that one loss cannot be because the coaching staff became bad coaches for one week. Sometimes a team loses...it happens regardless of who the coaches are. If it starts happening more than winning does, then it’s time to get rid of the coaches.

I picked 10-2 or 9-3 back in August. But the UK game and Minny game both piss me off a ton because the best team did not win. The best prepared team won...and that's on the staff. And for the record...I HATE tossing coaches under the bus. But CJF's staff was totally outcoached in the first half of both those games.

I just hate games where we beat ourselves by being clearly outcoached, not showing up ready to play, being outschemed, showing nothing new on O or D, giving games away when the game is there for the taking. I have trouble “accepting” these results.

And while certainly not liking getting blown out, well, I can certainly “accept” a game where the other team just beats the crap out of us. Kudos to them, they were better, they beat the snot out of us, that happens.

BUT

JUST DON’T BEAT YOURSELF !

Being critical of the mind boggling plays of our OC/passive zone of our Defense AND being a fanatic aren’t mutually exclusive!
I love my team, but think coaching leaves MUCH to be desired!!!!

So in other words, any game they lost would have been the fault of the coaches even though you picked them to lose 2 or 3 games.

Totally agree.

I just hate games where we beat ourselves by being clearly outcoached, not showing up ready to play, being outschemed, showing nothing new on O or D, giving games away when the game is there for the taking. I have trouble “accepting” these results.

And while certainly not liking getting blown out, well, I can certainly “accept” a game where the other team just beats the crap out of us. Kudos to them, they were better, they beat the snot out of us, that happens.

BUT

Well, we got our asses beat a couple of times by Michigan and I still saw all the blame being laid at Franklin’s feet for not having the team ready and not calling the right plays. The fact that we’re close in every loss is because we have good coaching and that’s going to make losses more difficult to handle.

On the flip side, the small segment of ‘fans’/idol worshippers who refuse to tolerate any criticism of the coaching staff is equally frustrating. You can’t say a word about Franklin without one of them accusing you of attempting to chase him off. We all want to win. We should be able to discuss the various issues associated with a loss without being so starkly divided. Certainly there are some folks here who want Franklin gone no matter what - but that’s far from the majority.

On the flip side, the small segment of ‘fans’/idol worshippers who refuse to tolerate any criticism of the coaching staff is equally frustrating. You can’t say a word about Franklin without one of them accusing you of attempting to chase him off. We all want to win. We should be able to discuss the various issues associated with a loss without being so starkly divided. Certainly there are some folks here who want Franklin gone - but that’s far from the majority.
I agree with this too. My issue is that many of the more vocal fans that want to criticize don't do so constructively. Instead of talking about where there were mistakes many fans simply start spouting off... FIRE FRANKLIN, FIRE RAHNE, FIRE EVERYONE. It's ridiculous. For as much heat as Rahne gets, and I think he deserves it for his goal to go offense last week, nobody gives him any positive credit. The offense moved the ball extremely well against Minn except for inside the 10. The running game looked better than it had all season with what many assumed wasn't even our best RB. When trailing in the 4th Rahne's playcalls allowed the team to march straight down the field in minutes. Rahne deserves credit for that as well. A huge part of the problem last weekend was execution.

Another fan that lives a mediocre life. Great

Reactions: NC2017
On the flip side, the small segment of ‘fans’/idol worshippers who refuse to tolerate any criticism of the coaching staff is equally frustrating. You can’t say a word about Franklin without one of them accusing you of attempting to chase him off. We all want to win. We should be able to discuss the various issues associated with a loss without being so starkly divided. Certainly there are some folks here who want Franklin gone no matter what - but that’s far from the majority.
Thank you. Any criticism of Franklin,his assistants, the team, or even the University is so often met with comments such as "You're not a true Penn Stater"; or one of may favorites this past week was that "These sort of people are happy when we lose, so they have something to complain about." Then they all become amateur psychoanalysts analyzing why "these people are the way they are." The only thing I might disagree on is that, for this past week anyway, the segment of idol worshipers is that small.

Drive the staff away? Based on a vocal minority of online trolls? Well, Rutgers is always hiring

Well, we got our asses beat a couple of times by Michigan and I still saw all the blame being laid at Franklin’s feet for not having the team ready and not calling the right plays. The fact that we’re close in every loss is because we have good coaching and that’s going to make losses more difficult to handle.

I don’t recall those issues being raised in either Michigan blowout. The major issue was playing an injured McSorley last year instead of Stevens.

We’re close in every loss because CJF (and his staff) have truly worked their asses off recruiting and the talent on the field has been improved tremendously in a very short period of time.

Good coaching? I’m in no position to question any aspect of it other than the “in-game” aspect of it.....and that has been more often than not disappointing.

Reactions: wcg207
So in other words, any game they lost would have been the fault of the coaches even though you picked them to lose 2 or 3 games.
It is the WAY we lost. Fleck was a mile ahead of Franklin in the first half Saturday. And the 2 games I picked PSU to lose were OSU and Mich St. Minnesota did not make that list.

Reactions: wcg207

Agreed. Morons tweeting obnoxious things to Franklin is a disgrace. If we were winless I would tweet coaches telling them they suck. What a ridiculous and loser thing to do.

BUT

Agreed...and Minny and UK are not better than Penn State.

Reactions: wcg207 and nits74
37-8 over the past 45 means the coaching leaves much to be desired? Coaching isn't a factor in all the wins, just the losses.
One could argue far less losses with a competent OC, and not playing pu$$y soft zone, no?
With better coaching, we’re in the playoffs in 2017, and 11-1 in 2018(-and not pooping the bed vs an SEC cellar dweller).
With better coaching this season, we’re NOT vastly unprepared for a team with far inferior talent than us, and probably in the playoffs!
I see your point with all of the wins, BUT.......hundreds of thousands of fans scratching their heads after a loss(because of piss poor game management) is getting old fast!

BTW, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Avatar!
Well, done!

I don’t recall those issues being raised in either Michigan blowout. The major issue was playing an injured McSorley last year instead of Stevens.

We’re close in every loss because CJF (and his staff) have truly worked their asses off recruiting and the talent on the field has been improved tremendously in a very short period of time.

Good coaching? I’m in no position to question any aspect of it other than the “in-game” aspect of it.....and that has been more often than not disappointing.
The in game has been disappointing based on what? Knowing after the fact what happened and using that as judgement? Pretty easy for everyone to be an expert that way. Bad in game coaching wouldn’t just show up at the end of some games...we would be getting blown out most of the time if they truly were bad coaches. If anyone has ever actually coached any sport, you would know that bad coaching will take you out of a game from start to finish...it doesn’t just happen in games you lose or games fans think should be a blow out.

I think that, in one sense, Alabama's success has ruined college football for many fans.

In the last 11 years they have a winning percentage of 90% (135-15) with 5 National Championships. The only school that is in this class was Oklahoma from 1948-1958; 92% with a 107-8 record and a winning streak of 47 games.

Alabama is an aberration yet many fans actually believe that their teams should have the success of Alabama. Well history says no; in the last 70 years only 2 programs have met that standard and they were 50 years apart.

Welcome to the real world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT