ADVERTISEMENT

My housekeepers 19 year old grandsons Covid 19 back to school Experience.

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
Cheryl is the housekeeper for our rental units. Not a more concientious dedicated employee on earth. She is completing her last chemo drip of 18 total in 2 weeks and she has expressed her anxiety as that last drip that has kept her cancer free for over 2 years comes to a close.

She was a young mother and grandmother. She was really upset when her daughter, son-in-law and grandson contracted Covid-19 in March. All 3 were hospitalized and released after 3 or 4 months. All great sucess stories, presumably, at the time. Yesterday evening she was totally distracted when we discussed the order of her duties with the unique change over we have e in reservationists at this time of year. I chalked this up to her fear of not having her chemo shield.

I was wrong. Her grandson went to UGA for his freshman year lasy week. He returned home this past weekend with a low grade fever, delirium and elephant on his chest breathing issues. He is back in a ventilator being treated for Covid-19.

The kid has no known health issues or any morbidity problems. Thus mornings update was he is on the verge of not being with the living.

The family lives in Atlanta, Ga.
The mother is 43 yrs old.

I keep reading posts here about false positives when tests are out there that do not work and in our county there is once place still giving tests for only one of the 9 variants of Covid-19. WTF?
I keep reading about the death rate and find few articles about hiw many of the hospitLized end up disabled.

I went to my friends wake last week he was 58 years old. His entire family was hospitalized. I am told to expect to attend a wake for his wife on the next several weeks. She is 52. There Doctor was at Mikes funeral stating neither of them had preexisting issues of any kind.

Just tired of reading stats based on unpreparedness and partisanship. Just wanted to pass on some very close to home personal stories and put a few names and faces on some real Covid victims in my life.

You can go back to your partisan stat wars as you will, as if a pandemic has sides as I expect you will. But remember this the 1000 or so a day and the 40,000 a so a day do not represent the hospitalized or the experiences of there families and friends.

Now, let's have a big round of 'We Are" and bitch about calls, and

Cheryl is the housekeeper for our rental units. Not a more concientious dedicated employee on earth. She is completing her last chemo drip of 18 total in 2 weeks and she has expressed her anxiety as that last drip that has kept her cancer free for over 2 years comes to a close.

She was a young mother and grandmother. She was really upset when her daughter, son-in-law and grandson contracted Covid-19 in March. All 3 were hospitalized and released after 3 or 4 months. All great sucess stories, presumably, at the time. Yesterday evening she was totally distracted when we discussed the order of her duties with the unique change over we have e in reservationists at this time of year. I chalked this up to her fear of not having her chemo shield.

I was wrong. Her grandson went to UGA for his freshman year lasy week. He returned home this past weekend with a low grade fever, delirium and elephant on his chest breathing issues. He is back in a ventilator being treated for Covid-19.

The kid has no known health issues or any morbidity problems. Thus mornings update was he is on the verge of not being with the living.

I keep reading posts here about false positives when tests are out there that do not work and in our county there is once place still giving tests for only one of the 9 variants of Covid-19. WTF?
I keep reading about the death rate and find few articles about hiw many of the hospitLized end up disabled.

I went to my friends wake last week he was 58 years old. His entire family was hospitalized. I am told to expect to attend a wake for his wife on the next several weeks. She is 52. There Doctor was at Mikes funeral stating neither of them had preexisting issues of any kind.

Just tired of reading stats based on unpreparedness and partisanship. Just wanted to pass on some very close to home personal stories and put a few names and faces on some real Covid victims in my life.

You can go back to your partisan stat wars as you will, as if a pandemic has sides as I expect you will. But remember this the 1000 or so a day and the 40,000 a so a day do not represent the hospitalized or the experiences of there families and friends.

I am very sorry to hear of all of this.

Prayers offered.

Stay strong.

I’m beginning to see that the death rate does not begin to show the toll of the virus and wouldn’t wish it on anybody. I do offer my best wishes to the lady and her family.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

That's surprising. I've never heard of a college freshman going on a ventilator. Many of my son's friends have gotten it and only had the sniffles for a day or two. None of them have gotten really sick.

Sounds like you need to move or something....all those Covid cases around you and I don’t know a single person that got it. No one that I work with, no one in my family, none of my friends, no one my wife works with (and she’s an essential worker), no one either of my kids work with. Shocking you have that many people in your circle that have it.

I’m beginning to see that the death rate does not begin to show the toll of the virus and wouldn’t wish it on anybody. I do offer my best wishes to the lady and her family.

Exactly. The number of true covid deaths is grossly overstated. But the number of deaths due to the overreaction to covid are grossly understated and not given the attention it needs.

Reactions: JustinTyme
Sorry, Rip. Very sad for you and those in your sphere. Sobering words from you.

Reactions: TheGLOV
My daughter is a Sophomore at UGA. She lives in the dorms and she moved into her dorm the second week of August. I get weekly emails from the school about the statistics in relation to testing on campus and as of last week, their cases appear to be dropping. The last email I got showed that their cases were down 70%. I have been extremely pleased with the way UGA has been handling it so far, and my daughter said she feels safe.

My wife works in the largest public school system in Georgia, and while they have had some quarantines of specific students, they haven't had any major problems so far...thankfully. The county I work in has been hit hard and I know a lot of people that have had the virus. I work in public safety, so we haven't been able to avoid contact with the public. Of all the people that I personally know that have had it, only one was on a ventilator. Even he did not spend three to four months in the hospital...but all cases are different.

I absolutely believe the virus is real and it is causing major problems, and death, for certain individuals. I am taking as many safety precautions as one person can take...but I have Covid fatigue. I'm to the point that if I get it, I'll either get through it, or I won't.

Very sorry for these families. A terrible ordeal to go through.

I do find it strange that two entire families have been hit so hard. I know a couple people that had it and no one else in their families caught it. Perhaps these two had some genetic proclivity that made them more likely to get a severe case. Worse case, maybe it is a strain that is much more contagious and much more deadly.

Again, very sorry to hear this.

Sorry to hear RIP. It's just a crazy virus. My wives family got hit hard with it, but all made it through even her 92 year old grandmother. Her mother is still doing physical therapy 2 months after because she is still so weak from it. 3 were hospitalized and 4 had mild cold/flu like symptons. One of our best friends who is an ICU nurse got it and was running 3 days after being diagnosed and never had anything more than a mild head ache. Her husband never even caught it....which is just odd. Best of luck to those that are battling it or those that have lost someone to it.

Segments of the OP’s account don’t make sense.

Her grandson went to UGA for his freshman year lasy week.”

Per UGA’s check-in policy, all students were supposed to arrive by Aug 20th, approximately 40 days ago.

All residents must check in to their residence hall by 9 a.m. on August 20. Residents arriving August 14-17 must schedule an arrival time slot. Arrival time slots are in 15-minute intervals, and will allow us to limit the number of people in common spaces and elevators at one time during move in.

Last edited:
Segments of the OP’s account don’t make sense.

Her grandson went to UGA for his freshman year lasy week.”

Per UGA’s check-in policy, all students were supposed to arrive by Aug 20th, approximately 40 days ago.

All residents must check in to their residence hall by 9 a.m. on August 20. Residents arriving August 14-17 must schedule an arrival time slot. Arrival time slots are in 15-minute intervals, and will allow us to limit the number of people in common spaces and elevators at one time during move in.

My daughter moved in on the 14th...she was only allowed to have two people with her...me and her mother. They were super strict about it.

Sounds like you need to move or something....all those Covid cases around you and I don’t know a single person that got it. No one that I work with, no one in my family, none of my friends, no one my wife works with (and she’s an essential worker), no one either of my kids work with. Shocking you have that many people in your circle that have it.
Same here, My wife and I only know of one person who has had it and that is only here-say, haven't actually seen him.

Same here, My wife and I only know of one person who has had it and that is only here-say, haven't actually seen him.
My son had it a few weeks ago. Football player not PSU. He is completely recovered thank God passed his cardio tests and is working out and conditioning. Was basically sick for 1 day quarantined for 10. On the flip side my Uncle who was 89 died from it in NJ back in the Spring.

What concerns me about this virus the most is that long term immunity could prove elusive.
I know that is not the case with SARS and MERS. I keep reading about cases of COVID reinfection. There is some unreviewed stuff coming out of Brazil saying reinfection is not uncommon. The rest of the data right now does not seem to indicate this, but we are less than a year into it.

It is a weird virus that hit some hard and others not so much—my thoughts and prayers to your housekeeper and her family. My wife lost her 74-year-old uncle to the virus when this all first started. His wife, not one symptom! Crazy times and now the flu season in play, it might get even weirder! Be safe!

Note: Trying to figure out the math on the ages when the grandmother had her daughter and the daughter had the grandson! Whoa! They like to start early!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear.

I have repeated this story before on here. Wife's coworker said goodbye to her husband of 40+ years over facetime over the summer. He passed from COVID that he caught in the hospital while being treated for significant injuries from a motor vehicle accident. Had just retired from teaching.

In August a different co-worker (50 year-old male) who lived with and cared for his 80+ year-old parents had disaster strike. He was fanatical about staying safe. Unfortunately the nurse who came to assist with the parents caught it, showed no symptoms, but gave it to all three of them and the dad and the co-worker both passed. Mom caught it but survived.

This entire thing is awful. If the data was good that you catch it once, survive, and the long-term impact is zero or negligible, we could lie to ourselves about all of these deaths being for a greater purpose. Sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Doesn't there have to be a reason why it destroys some, but gives another the sniffles? Heredity? People that don't normally get the flu?

Reactions: psu7113
Sorry to hear.

here is the CDC web site showing deaths by age group and other factors. There have been 1, 258 women die of COVID between the ages of 35 and 45, just under 4,000 total in that age group. To get some perspective, that is out of about 40,000,000 people in the USA in that age group.

Sorry for the loss. At the same time, my wife's father died this spring. I got to know the funeral home VP pretty well. Last week he was driving down the road, a truck in front of him lost control and hit a pole. The sign on the top of the pole came down on his truck and killed him.

Man killed when I-480 highway sign fell on truck identified as vice president of A. Ripepi & Sons Funeral Homes
Of course, every loss hits home and means something to the people they leave behind. However, we have to be careful that these losses are not just anecdotal. To craft effective public policy, we need to look at the big picture and make policy from a top down methodology.

That is the science of it.

Sorry to hear RIP. It's just a crazy virus. My wives family got hit hard with it, but all made it through even her 92 year old grandmother. Her mother is still doing physical therapy 2 months after because she is still so weak from it. 3 were hospitalized and 4 had mild cold/flu like symptons. One of our best friends who is an ICU nurse got it and was running 3 days after being diagnosed and never had anything more than a mild head ache. Her husband never even caught it....which is just odd. Best of luck to those that are battling it or those that have lost someone to it.

Prayers offered.

My son had it a few weeks ago. Football player not PSU. He is completely recovered thank God passed his cardio tests and is working out and conditioning. Was basically sick for 1 day quarantined for 10. On the flip side my Uncle who was 89 died from it in NJ back in the Spring.

My sincere condolences sir on the loss of your uncle.

Glad to hear about your son and his recovery.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
Sorry to hear about this woman and her family. I know a handful of people who have gotten the virus. None were sick for more than 2 weeks, none were hospitalized. My daughter caught it when she went back to school in August, she headache and scratchy throat for a couple of day and did lose her sense of taste for a couple of days as well. 10 days later she was working in a nursing home (she's a nursing student).

I rarely get sick and I have zero fear of this virus. Protect the weak and the fearful, but let the rest of us get back to normal. Get busy living or get busy dying.

Not one in my very large, extended family or several hundred friends that I keep up with has had it or disclosed that a family member did. I did have 2 family members tested due to symptoms, both negative. I have some family members totally freaked out about it though, still. They watch the news too much.

Prayers to the woman Rip described and others with their personal accounts but they truly are an anomaly. Doesn't mean it can't hit someone hard or a family hard. Just that your probability of contracting, hospitalization, lingering health effects and death are what the entire CDC dataset says that they are plus or minus specific risk factors that you either engage in, are susceptible to, and uncertainty of the data set.

Others have mentioned it, but policy should not be influenced by personal accounts at the expense of the full set of data and information available. I also get that many people feel more so than think and therefore a few devastating personal accounts may be weighted more than the full data set and prevailing science. I pray those people aren't in positions to make public policy. We may never be permitted to fully pursue happiness again.

What concerns me about this virus the most is that long term immunity could prove elusive.
I know that is not the case with SARS and MERS. I keep reading about cases of COVID reinfection. There is some unreviewed stuff coming out of Brazil saying reinfection is not uncommon. The rest of the data right now does not seem to indicate this, but we are less than a year into it.
If reinfection is possible then none of this matters and it will be time to reopen 100% immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT