ADVERTISEMENT

My email to former NCAA chairman Ed Ray

Our anger is still misplaced. The obvious difference between our situation and everyone else is how our BOT handled things.
No question, except there were a lot of outsiders so eager to jump on the lynch mob bandwagon. For certain, our BOT teed it up for them, but the level of misplaced vindictiveness and overt joy from most concerning this was, and still is, off the charts. Yeah, 1300 is correct, there is much bitterness. And I will hold onto that bitterness for the remainder of my life. No one that had any part in this gets a pass.

No question, except there were a lot of outsiders so eager to jump on the lynch mob bandwagon. For certain, our BOT teed it up for them, but the level of misplaced vindictiveness and overt joy from most concerning this was, and still is, off the charts. Yeah, 1300 is correct, there is much bitterness. And I will hold onto that bitterness for the remainder of my life. No one that had any part in this gets a pass.
Kill them all. Let Joe sort them out.

There are multiple places for the anger to be directed. No reason to focus on just one area.

To each their own...I'm always going to direct the anger at the person/people/group that we responsible for trying to protect us as opposed to those that were outside that caved to public pressure

To each their own...I'm always going to direct the anger at the person/people/group that we responsible for trying to protect us as opposed to those that were outside that caved to public pressure

By all means, fire away. I’m not saying you’re wrong to do so.

I am sure he is on vacation and won't read it
Even if he wasn’t on vacation, he won’t read it. Maybe you should try to get some newspaper or internet blog to publish it as a letter to the editor, although that’s probably not going to happen either, but good luck.

Almost perfect, but technically the Sandusky/TSM scandal is on his head too, had he spoken up he could have prevented that.

I've been saying for years, those who were most adamant about pointing the finger at PSU had the most to hide... and I am repeatedly proven correct.

Last edited:
It is exposing all the pretenders who have for years been throwing out "due process" as magic words but don't give s hoot about "due process" when it's done other school.

There's an equal number of victim bashers who swore up & down that Aaron Fisher and AM weren't credible because they were mid teens & could have easily fought Jerry off. Now they all believe 100% that adult male wrestlers could be victimized by "gawkers.'

The hypocrisy is deep here.

It's called the golden rule, treat others how you would like to be treated. It's only polite of us to return the behavior we have received, regardless of our own personal beliefs. Some of us are willing to sacrifice our own personal beliefs to treat others how they have demonstrated they would like to be treated.

It's called the golden rule, treat others how you would like to be treated. It's only polite of us to return the behavior we have received, regardless of our own personal beliefs. Some of us are willing to sacrifice our own personal beliefs to treat others how they have demonstrated they would like to be treated.

Penn State is better than that.

...in which the football program was held in higher esteem than the values of the institution, the values of the NCAA, the values of higher education, and most disturbingly the values of human decency... Indeed, the reverence for Penn State football permeated every level of the University community.

Subject: Richard Strauss

My goodness, Dr. Ray.

On July 23, 2012, you dropped the NCAA's hammer on Penn State University even though they reported outside the university in 1998 and 2001.

Without getting into your decision to allow a self-confessed child molester to star on your Oregon State baseball team, do you realize how bad the optics look with your time at Ohio State coinciding with the decades of sexual abuse by Richard Strauss? It's said that he's molested 1,000-2,000 Buckeyes under your leadership, Dr. Ray. It's also said that he was an open secret at THE Ohio State University. This means you knew -- or should have known -- about a pretty pervasive "culture of deviance" that permanently damaged the lives of over 1,000 student athletes who matriculated to OSU with bright eyes and big dreams. One simple phone call to 911 or the police would have shut down the victim factory in Columbus, OH. But you never made that phone call.

My first question is why? Why didn't you pick up the phone, Dr. Ray? You could have protected thousands of students in Columbus, OH, and prevented Larry Nassar from flying under the radar at Michigan State. But you didn't bother to pick up the phone. Was it to protect the brand at OSU? Was it due to a winning at all costs culture that values winning over basic human decency? We learned from your approach to Penn State that those are the only two motives.

My second question is what are you personally going to do to reconstruct the 1,000-plus souls that were shattered under your watch in Columbus, Ohio? What will you do to prevent Ohio State's toxic culture from contaminating other college campuses? You would be wise to start with Jim Clemente: http://paterno.com/Expert-Reports/Jim-Clemente.aspx#.W0ddactOk0M

My third question is which self-imposed penalties are you prepared to levy upon yourself and THE Ohio State University for conspiring to conceal the biggest pedophile in NCAA history? You knew -- or should have known -- and did nothing except grandstand on your podium about the culture at Penn State which did far more to protect its student athletes than anyone at THE Ohio State University.

Many of us are expecting a big, flashy press conference where you do the right thing and take full accountability for your failures. At minimum, you will obviously resign immediately. And you will also plead guilty to all charges in the inevitable trials and accept your sentence in jail. You will also use this opportunity to make an example of THE Ohio State University to make it known that there is no place for sexual abuse in NCAA athletics. You will take these measures unless, of course, you don't care about the thousands of victims molested under your approving watch.

As you craft your answers, Dr. Ray, I will pray for the thousands of Buckeyes who were sexually victimized in the "culture of deviance" that you fostered at THE Ohio State University. I will also pray for God to have mercy on your hypocritical soul.

Good day to you, sir.

CTL
Ran into Tim Curley at Artsfest yesterday, and, among other things, discussed your email to Mr. Ray. He very much enjoyed hearing about it. Tim seemed to be in great shape, healthwise.

Ran into Tim Curley at Artsfest yesterday, and, among other things, discussed your email to Mr. Ray. He very much enjoyed hearing about it. Tim seemed to be in great shape, healthwise.
The letter wrote itself but your post brings me great satisfaction. Thanks for sharing, B2.

Reactions: Zenophile
...in which the football program was held in higher esteem than the values of the institution, the values of the NCAA, the values of higher education, and most disturbingly the values of human decency... Indeed, the reverence for Penn State football permeated every level of the University community.
Indeed, and the football program had absolutely nothing to do with the scandal for which it was forced to take the blame.

To: ed.ray@oregonstate.edu
Subject: Your silence is deafening, Dr. Ray

Your words to Dennis Dodd in 2012 about your communications with Penn State fans:

"And I think about the victims," Ray added. "I've heard too little about the victims. God knows what their lives are like and how they've been damaged by that absolute horror. It's just all very, very very sad and it's not over."

Fast-forward to today. Here are your words of comfort to the 100-plus victims (and counting) who were sexually abused under your watch at THE Ohio State University:

*crickets*

NCAA president Mark Emmert is a fraud of the highest order. Would like to think better of you, Dr. Ray, therefore I am hoping to see you do right by way of the victims at Ohio State, Michigan State and the devastation you left behind at Penn State. As your career winds down, ask yourself what you'd like written about you when you're gone. Unlike a certain football coach you helped bury, you still have a chance to write your legacy.

Sincerely,

CTL

P.S. Feel free to read your words in full below (Dennis Dodd, 2012):

NCAA official: 'Heart goes out' to Penn Staters devastated by penalites
By Dennis Dodd | Senior College Football Columnist
November 12, 2012 11:19 am ET

DENVER -- The NCAA executive committee chairman who helped craft the Penn State penalties told CBSSports.com "my heart really goes out" to the school's students, faculty and alumni who might feel like a “drive-by victim” in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

Oregon State president Ed Ray added, “I understand what they're dealing with, and if somehow we could make it not so, I would certainly wish we could.”

Ray is the chairman of the the 17-person NCAA body that "implements policies to resolve core issues." The NCAA explained its authority to act in the Penn State case here. Ray was the only person to appear at the podium with NCAA president Mark Emmert at the July press conference to announce the Penn State penalties.

Four months later, he has witnessed some of the anguish caused by those penalties. While not exactly expressing remorse, Ray's is the most emotional reaction by a person directly responsible for those historic penalties.

“Given what we were presented with where we ended up, it was a perfectly fine place to end up. …,” Ray said of the decision. “I know what it means if you've been somewhere 20 or 30 years and you love the institution and you've given your all and suddenly you feel like a drive-by victim. You're humiliated because something is all over the media and you didn't do anything.”

Penn State was given a four-year bowl ban, docked 40 scholarships and fined $60 million for its oversight in the Sandusky matter.

“And I think about the victims,” Ray added. “I've heard too little about the victims. God knows what their lives are like and how they've been damaged by that absolute horror. It's just all very, very very sad and it's not over.”

Ray reiterated Emmert's assertion that it would have taken more than a year to investigate Penn State by traditional methods. Emmert acted with authority from the executive committee and the board because of what was termed an unprecedented ethical breach.

“When things go wrong, there's no way to protect innocent people from getting hurt,” Ray said. “There is no way we could have come to any kind of agreement that didn't imply that people were going to get hurt by this.

“When people do bad things, they hurt not only their victims, they hurt all their loved ones, all these people who are invested in them at the same time. It [a formal investigation] would have been two years of sorting it all out. I don't know if we would have ended up in a different place. We might have.”

Ray was interviewed by CBSSports.com before appearing at Monday's BCS meeting in Denver as a member of the Presidential Oversight Committee. Penn State is currently 6-4 in the first year of its four-year bowl ban.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT