My daughter went to her college 1.5 day orientation Monday and Tuesday

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
I sat through the first half day and didn't attend another event. In three hours, the term "grades" was used once. Career was never used, that I can recall. Pronouns? I think every speaker announced their pronouns and did again and again as they spoke. I put buttons on my shirt that said "ask me my pronouns". Only one person did and I responded "I, Me, & Mine". My wife jabbed me and nobody ever asked me again.

Does anyone really know what pronouns to use and when? I actually looked it up. It is clear as mud. The only thing I came away with is that you cannot use "he" or "her" on campus unless the person explicitly states that you can do so. I am not kidding.

I had a conversation with a professor stating that I feel really bad for the new marginalized people. She asked who that was. I said "Well, I get the LGBT. I also get adding the Q. Finally, they added IA. So we now have LBGTQIA. Cool. The problem is that LGBTQIA wasn't inclusive enough. However, it is clear they couldn't just keep adding more letters. So they simply added the "+" to include all others. This effectively marginalizes those who identify as "+". I told the professor that I refuse to marginalize the pluses and that they deserved their own level of sensitivity and awareness". That got another jab from my wife but she later told me that my comment was "creative". I am pretty sure I am banned from campus now.

PaoliLion

Nov 2, 2003
I sat through the first half day and didn't attend another event. In three hours, the term "grades" was used once. Career was never used, that I can recall. Pronouns? I think every speaker announced their pronouns and did again and again as they spoke. I put buttons on my shirt that said "ask me my pronouns". Only one person did and I responded "I, Me, & Mine". My wife jabbed me and nobody ever asked me again.

Does anyone really know what pronouns to use and when? I actually looked it up. It is clear as mud. The only thing I came away with is that you cannot use "he" or "her" on campus unless the person explicitly states that you can do so. I am not kidding.

I had a conversation with a professor stating that I feel really bad for the new marginalized people. She asked who that was. I said "Well, I get the LGBT. I also get adding the Q. Finally, they added IA. So we now have LBGTQIA. Cool. The problem is that LGBTQIA wasn't inclusive enough. However, it is clear they couldn't just keep adding more letters. So they simply added the "+" to include all others. This effectively marginalizes those who identify as "+". I told the professor that I refuse to marginalize the pluses and that they deserved their own level of sensitivity and awareness". That got another jab from my wife but she later told me that my comment was "creative". I am pretty sure I am banned from campus now.

I’ll bet your daughter is so proud of you

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
I’ll bet your daughter is so proud of you
I told her that those kids are her competition. The school will want an average of a 2.7 GPA. So it isn't if you earn, it is how much you earn relative to the other kids. As long as they get wrapped around the axel worrying about the marginalized "pluses", we are in good shape. Colleges warp reality. Competition and achievement are the paths forward. Once Biden completes the task of ruining our economy, competition will again be the norm. it will come down to the level of survival. When gas is $10 and a bad of potatoes is five times what is was a few months ago, people are going to no longer be worried about the pluses. Do you disagree?

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
Let the parent shaming begin.....
Yeah...what is funny is that they want to determine what "diversity" gets to be included and what diverse opinions are not allowed. So I also had this conversation. If you disallow a diverse opinion, of any type, are you not anti-diversity? How can the opinion that there are men and women be lacking diversity when this has been the opinion for all of humanity? One can argue if it is correct or incorrect, but how can that opinion be pilloried for the sake of inclusion and diversity?

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
Yeah...what is funny is that they want to determine what "diversity" gets to be included and what diverse opinions are not allowed. So I also had this conversation. If you disallow a diverse opinion, of any type, are you not anti-diversity? How can the opinion that there are men and women be lacking diversity when this has been the opinion for all of humanity? One can argue if it is correct or incorrect, but how can that opinion be pilloried for the sake of inclusion and diversity?
Your experience was not surprising but it was still scary to read.

At this time, after all the failures of runaway wokeism that have been exposed, after seeing a sea change in the public's willingness to sit by and let these idiots try to intimidate normal people into playing along with their lunacy, they are still going at it full blast and without showing they have learned a GD thing. These people will need more than a few editorials and chat board truth tellers to be laughed at, removed and never allowed back into civilized society..... and I hope we see the beginning of that process in November.

Like any of these bat shit crazy mass hysteria things, the proponents go way too far and then BOOM, the normal people in society finally wake up (excuse that expression) and say "enough is enough". This era reminds me of the Salem witch hunts...it too will pass, but not until sane people unite to oust these cretins from positions of authority, starting with academia.

Last edited:

PaoliLion

Nov 2, 2003
I told her that those kids are her competition. The school will want an average of a 2.7 GPA. So it isn't if you earn, it is how much you earn relative to the other kids. As long as they get wrapped around the axel worrying about the marginalized "pluses", we are in good shape. Colleges warp reality. Competition and achievement are the paths forward. Once Biden completes the task of ruining our economy, competition will again be the norm. it will come down to the level of survival. When gas is $10 and a bad of potatoes is five times what is was a few months ago, people are going to no longer be worried about the pluses. Do you disagree?

How did you go from dumping on LGBTQ folks to GPA?

What I’ll tell you is that grades are the easy part

Reactions: maypole

ao5884

Oct 1, 2019

Didn't even go to either if mine. Had better things to do than sit in a room for information thst I could obtain and read for myself

Reactions: bourbon n blues

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
Your experience was not surprising but it was still scary to read.

At this time, after all the failures of runaway wokeism that have been exposed, after seeing a sea change in the public's willingness to sit by and let these idiots try to intimidate normal people into playing along with their lunacy, they are still going at it full blast and without showing they have learned a GD thing. These people will need more than a few editorials and chat board truth tellers to be laughed at, removed and never allowed back into civilized society..... and I hope we see the beginning of that process in November.

Like any of these bat shit crazy mass hysteria things, the proponents go way too far and then BOOM, the normal people in society finally wake up (excuse that expression) and say "enough is enough". This era reminds me of the Salem witch hunts...it too will pass, but not until sane people unite to oust these cretins from positions of authority, starting with academia.
yeah...I get it...they were focused on marginal kids that are more likely to drop out. But in focusing so much on minorities, they made the majorities feel marginalized. One had to ask "hey' what about me? This is a major change for me too. Do they not care about me?" There was a lack of balance.

Vic Vaselino

Nov 14, 2009

Your wife is smart.

bison13

Dec 22, 2007
Some of my students spend a lot of $ getting SAT tutors, having people edit their admissions essays,etc. A few of them have said that choosing a non-hetero option on their application definitely moved them up the admissions ladder more than the other things they did.

Reactions: jjw165

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
I remember the Bike confiscation posts.

Good times.
you've got a great memory (or creepy memory!). I had to think about your post for a moment. I still can't believe they confiscated her mini-barbi bike after a couple of hours unattended. I think we left it there as we walked down a hill to the local convenience store to get her ice cream and walked back. She couldn't peddle up the hill so we left it under a tree in a park.

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
you've got a great memory (or creepy memory!). I had to think about your post for a moment. I still can't believe they confiscated her mini-barbi bike after a couple of hours unattended. I think we left it there as we walked down a hill to the local convenience store to get her ice cream and walked back. She couldn't peddle up the hill so we left it under a tree in a park.

I remember it because I think it's funny that 15 years ago the left on this board were pro police and backing the confiscation.

Over the years the left have become exactly who they hated.

LdN

SR108

Jan 13, 2004

I bet your ribs were sore before you got out of there.

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018

I reaaaaaally like your pronouns.

BTW, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that every speaker's personal pronouns were EXACTLY as what you would have guessed they were. Luxury beliefs, people, luxury beliefs.

Damn i'm pleased to have put that college silliness behind me this year. BTW, apropos of the general topic...

SR108

Jan 13, 2004

Two words for you:

Hillsdale College

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
I reaaaaaally like your pronouns.

BTW, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that every speaker's personal pronouns were EXACTLY as what you would have guessed they were. Luxury beliefs, people, luxury beliefs.

Damn i'm pleased to have put that college silliness behind me this year. BTW, apropos of the general topic...

Ha! Really, all of the speakers (kids and adults) were really nice. In fact, couldn't have been nicer. They were very earnest in their attempts to make everyone who is not normal different feel included.

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
I bet your ribs were sore before you got out of there.
Ha! I stayed at the university in case my daughter needed me. My wife took the car and went back to the hotel. I, at least, thought there could be some value. She flushed it and moved on. She just knows better than to voice her opinion.

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
Ha! Really, all of the speakers (kids and adults) were really nice. In fact, couldn't have been nicer. They were very earnest in their attempts to make everyone who is not normal different feel included.
Sure, and as a parent of a kid who has a disability, I would expect nothing less. But as my late father in law used to say, the problem with the country is that we don't base our policy decisions and tactics on the median, we base them on the outliers. There are plenty of very simple ways to communicate "all are welcome" and "be decent to people", but what you end up with is a message that basically becomes little more than an obsequious punch line.

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
Sure, and as a parent of a kid who has a disability, I would expect nothing less. But as my late father in law used to say, the problem with the country is that we don't base our policy decisions and tactics on the median, we base them on the outliers. There are plenty of very simple ways to communicate "all are welcome" and "be decent to people", but what you end up with is a message that basically becomes little more than an obsequious punch line.
well stated.

WPTLION

Jan 7, 2002
In other words, we offend the many, to appease the few.

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
why are you so against diversity?
These Lefties have learned their socialist/commie lessons well.

"You didn't build that!". "How can you be so selfish to want to keep what you earned, where's my share?". "From those according to their ability, to those according to their needs...... and don't judge anyone who opts into the need category, you capitalist pigs!" "Public companies exist as an extension of the government and ought to first and foremost be about satisfying the public's needs, including selling their products at costs (or less)". "Profits are evil and it's up to the government to decide what the proper level of profits are, not the companies or their shareholders".

They want equality of outcomes and no responsibility for earning a share of what they demand to take. It's all about the collective..... Self-sufficiency? Educate yourself? Work ethics? Personal responsibility? Make your own way in life? Individual initiative? No way....they are just catch phrases for the "privileged" in our society who basically were handed their wealth by past generations.

Last edited:

maypole

May 9, 2022
...and sooner or later, you run out of other people's money!
Since I could buy most of you righty assclowns on this board, I don’t want any part of your money. Typical righty reaction, doubling down on your selfishness.

Reactions: Catch50

jjw165

Jan 18, 2005
Since I could buy most of you righty assclowns on this board, I don’t want any part of your money. Typical righty reaction, doubling down on your selfishness.
Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation proclamation in 1863, a Republican president, and slavery was later abolished in 1865 with the 13th amendment.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
you should be paying more in taxes then. Why are you so selfish? If you so much money, why aren't you helping those less fortunate? Typical lefty....everyone else should pay but not me.

Latest posts